Author Topic: Post-op nipple assymetry  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Gorapsgo

Hello,

I had my gynecomastia surgery 1 week ago (excision + minor lipo - I had a relatively mild case and I am a lean male).  Everything went well and I'm relatively happy with the results so far.  My only concern right now is that my left nipple is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than my right nipple and this was not an issue prior to the surgery.

My left side has been far more painful since the surgery and my left side is also the side that fluid leaked out of after surgery.  My left side is also noticeably more swollen than my right side right now.

I guess what I'm asking is if this asymmetry is possible to happen due to the increased swelling on my left side after surgery and if I should wait a few more weeks before judging my results - I'm kind of freaking myself out a bit at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It is very common to have some early asymmetry after surgery due to swelling. It also depends on how your skin reacts to the removal of the breast tissue as to how well it shrinks. Finally, most people have small asymmetries from side to side. This is usually not so apparent to the patient before surgery but can usually be see on the pre-op photos. Finally, it is too early to worry but you should definitely discuss your concerns with your surgeon at your next follow up appointment.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I suspect by now, you've seen improvement but it sounds like you might have had some minor bleeding with resulting asymmetric swelling related to a hematoma.  In that case, your surgeon may need to address the hematoma by aspiration or evacuation if it's large enough.  If, on the other hand, it was just localized swelling, by now that should be improving. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024