Author Topic: Gynecomastia Treatment?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline NovaSauce

After stumbling across this heavenly site, I've been wondering about my gynecomastia. So, I used to have it in both nipples, but now just in one. One went away. But both now have GIANT areolas: like an inch wide, and look very feminine. Will this quit after a while, or will it persist? I'm quite young (under 16) and have a pretty muscular build, especially in the chest/pecs region. I'm wondering, should I just wait and see if it goes away like the other side, or should I see if I can get a surgery? And also, how much would a surgery on a young person with type 1 gynecomastia cost? Would the procedure just be a quick pull-through with a small incision? I HIGHLY doubt I will need liposuction.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It might be best for you to be patient and not rush into any surgery -- if one side got better spontaneously then perhaps the other side might do the same.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline NovaSauce

Ok thanks! I've always wanted to know some suggestions of what to do about it, especially from a professional like you, although it is impossible to know for sure. I'll probably wait until I know it isn't going away, and keep it discreet and unnoticeable. I can wear a tight sports shirt under a normal loose shirt. Good thing summer is starting soon, with 2.5 months without people who will notice all the time for it to possibly heal. I hope that this is just a hormone imbalance that will correct itself last year. Anyway, I only started puberty during the 2015-2016 school year, somewhere in that range. Well, I only have to wait! And apologies for shooting you down with questions.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Gynecomastia that occurs during puberty resolves in 95% of cases within 3 years of onset.  It sounds like you might indeed gain improvement without surgery, and if you consulted with me, I wouldn't offer surgery at this point.  If the condition persists past three years from the time of onset, it's unlikely that it will go away on its own and at that point, you should consider surgery.  Be sure to see someone who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024