Author Topic: Excess Fluid Post Surgery  (Read 1249 times)

Offline playdoh

• Posting Member
Hi All,
I had gyno excision surgery on the 18th April in which around 140g of tissue was removed from each side, and there was relatively little fluid/blood from the drains which were put in by my consultant. All went very well and I have had almost no discomfort post-surgery and have been able to continue life pretty much as normal.
During my follow-up consultation this week, the consultant found a significant amount of fluid build-up on both sides so performed an aspiration and a lot was removed. 2 days later and to my untrained eye, it appears that it has all returned as there is a wave effect on each breast when pressing, and it is squashy.
I guess more aspirations will be required until it goes away, but it seems something kind of unexpected and a little disappointing as it spoils the results as you can imagine. My consultant is confident of resolution, but just wanted to get others thoughts on this.
Thanks a bunch
Paul

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's difficult to comment since I'm not sure why you're getting fluid collections ("seromas") in the first place.  I have had to aspirate patients in the past following development of a hematoma, in which case serial aspiration as the hematoma liquifies is helpful to clear smaller collections that don't require open evacuation and control of bleeding. This is typically required for a couple weeks (once or twice a week), until the collection is small enough for the body to handle, at which point no significant fluid can be aspirated anymore. I don't use drains for surgery, since nothing really drains out of them typically. Seeing as you had them in place, I'm not sure how quickly they were removed, or if perhaps you had bleeding that compelled your surgeon to place the drains, and this accounts for the development of seromas. Presuming everything else is normal, your consultant is correct that this should be manageable. 
Good luck. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Quickie question:  were you placed in a very snug compression dressing?  Oftentimes this will help the tissues to stick together and obliterate the open space which had been occupied by the fluid.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline playdoh

• Posting Member
Thank you both for your replies. In answer to the questions, the drains were removed after approximately 24 hours and yes, I am wearing a snug compression vest. I saw my consultant again on Wednesday and he drained quite a lot more fluid, and finger crossed, so far there is no noticeable build up since then but I am having it rechecked next week.
Thank you for your wishes.
Paul

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Not to worry. Seromas can sometimes occur and should completely resolve as long as they are aspirated frequently 1-2X / week. It might take 2-4 aspirations. Sounds like your surgeon is on top of thigs..
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline playdoh

• Posting Member
Thankfully after the 2nd aspiration 2 weeks ago, no fluid has since returned.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Congrats. Your final healing and results might take a little longer but not to worry.

Offline playdoh

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Schuster.
The healing is going very well with negligible scarring and the results are excellent almost 6 weeks in. The thing that is taking the longest is for the hairs to grow back on my chest after they were shaved off before the procedure
Paul

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024