Author Topic: RED MEAT  (Read 3478 times)

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
hey,

I stopped eating red meat around 6 years ago, but still eat a fair bit of chicken,turkey and a huge amount of fish.

Just wondering how much of a role red meat might play in terms of muscle mass, both for building muscle and preventing/limiting muscle loss that comes through cardio exercise.

as well as poultry and fish, I also eat a lot of beans,nuts,legumes,chic-peas,lentils,etc. and allround have a very,very healthy diet. The only thing missing is red meat, and Im just curious as to how essential or non-essential this is in growing and maintaining muscle in the body ?

any1 know anything?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 11:12:38 PM by tonysoprano »
... and the saga continues

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
well iam not an expert in nutrition but recently I added a lot of red meat to my diet , steak, mince etc.I mainly  eat steak though as I get a discount ;D
        I eat a large steak normally four times or five a week as a main meal.I tend to grill it rather than fry it. I also eat corned beef sandwidges.When I can
       Since I have done this, I seem to be stronger and have gained more muscle I would think , as I look bigger but Iam still lean. I am also lifting more weight and feel like doing more.
       Before I did this I was not concentrating on eating that much of red meat just a balanced diet of different foods, fish , chicken like you. I have certainly noticed an increase in my perfromance. I would say though that some body building book
s I have read say  that other meats are just as good and are better for you but others say to get beefy you need to eat beef so there is debate there .
        I don't now if eating this much red meat is good for you but so far I have not noticed any ill effects only good ones.I think as well that red meat is a good source of testosterone .Which also may account for it's muscle building properties. if you do lots of cardio as well I can't see it making you put on weight as again some say that eating loads of red meat can make you fat??? I have actually lost weight. So no definate answer just my experience.

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
I have red meat (filet mignon) everyday for one of my meals.  It has not had any negative impacts on me and red meat is an excellent source of protein.  All it is is a different type of protein as opposed to others, plus it tastes great.  Don't go overboard with it but even once a day is fine.

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
I wouldn't want to live without red meat....

Offline RottonDane

• Posting Member
Red meat is a great choice as long as you keep the bulk of it as lean cuts, and get it from a good source.  There is a lot of horomones being injected into our supplys now days so I generally tend to know all I can about the stock my beef ect. comes from.  Buffelo, osterage(?), and wild game are also great choices and are usually low in the saturated fats.  Remember that just because you are not getting fat on the outside dosent mean your not getting fat on the inside.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
I dont not eat it because Im worried about its hormones or effect on gyne or anything.

Those are not even factored into it.

I honestly would love to be able to eat , say 1 serving of red meat a week for iron benefits,etc. but I could never bring myself to do it..

even the thought or smell of the stuff makes me sick.
I just hope I am not losing out on any potential health benefits by not eating red meat once in a while..

ps. rotton dane - its Ostrich

Offline RottonDane

• Posting Member
Thanks for the spelling tony, I am trying to ween myself off the spell check, and it dosent seem to be going so well...  What is it that maks you gag about red meat?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024