Author Topic: Surgery if on apixaban?  (Read 784 times)

Offline Topcat73

Hi everyone,
I have Gynecomastia on both sides confirmed by my doctor 3 years ago and have saved enough money to get surgery privately. I’m a very active person and go to the gym 6 days a week and have no health issues apart from being on a very low dose of apixaban blood thinning medication for a blood clot I had 4 years ago. It’s a low dose (2.5mg a day) and is just taken as a preventory measure. I spoke to my doctor and he said as long as I stop taking the medicine a week before surgery it will be ok. I had an 8 hour operation on my leg after a motorcycle accident 3 years ago and did just that and with no problems. Just want to hear from an actual surgeon if they think this will be a problem as I really need this surgery as it’s dominating my life.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you stop the medication at least 7-10 days in advance, you should be safe enough to undergo surgery for gynecomastia.  Would confirm the time frame required with the doctor who prescribed the medication.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Topcat73

Ok thanks dr Jacobs. Much appreciated.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs. It sounds like you could use your previous experience as a guide, but certainly confirm with both your surgeon and the prescriber of the medication. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024