Author Topic: So I Joined A Gym Today...  (Read 3443 times)

Offline slycon

After losing 65 lbs over the summer (went from 275lbs. to 210 lbs), I have joined a gym since it'll be hard for me to continue to lose the weight now that the cold weather and snow has arrived.  I've had my doctor check me out, and the people on this board have looked at my pics, and everyone seems to agree that it's just a lot of fat, not gyne.  woo-hoo! at least that's something to be happy about!

So since I don't have a trainer who can tell me what exercises i need to focus on, what do you all suggest? I have a real fatty chest, not just around the breast area, but around the sides and near the armpits as well.  When I put my arms by my side, the fat seems to spread! ugh.  I swear my chest sticks out further than my stomach and I have a pear shaped body. eek! heh.  Yes, I'm on a diet too. So should I just focus on cardio and dropping the weight to see if my breast size declines, or should I do some weights too? if so, what do you suggest I start with? thanks!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 05:40:47 PM by slycon »

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
Slycon,

I have the same problem with fat along side of my chest, under the arms area.
I would also like to know what exercises I can do to fix this problem area... It's really the only area that I cannot get to lose fat in...

I feel stupid in the sense that my gyne is virtually gone since surgery, but these fat pockets on the side still remain. I want to consult with a personal trainer if I am unable to find an answer here.

Offline Raven

• Silver Member
thejuice,

No I do not run, personally I think this is a terrible exercise as your heart takes a pounding and so do your knees.
I have a heart murmur, and my knees aren't the greatest neither.
I will however give it a shot if this is the only way.
Can you give me more details?
Thanks  :)

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
No I do not run, personally I think this is a terrible exercise as your heart takes a pounding and so do your knees.

I agree....  Running is a high impact activity and is not good for the knees. Especially as we age and if we are obese. The best 'low impact' activity IMO, is swimming. Yeah.... yeah, I know, Gyne and swimming don't mix well.... The next best thing would be a bike or elliptical trainer. With the elliptical trainer, your knees get a work out without all the pounding you get from running. Makes sence to me.... ;)

It would be awesome if my gym had a pool....

John.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 03:50:09 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
hmm I have been road running for about six months now, granted it hurt my shins to start with but now I can run five miles and it isn't a problem at all.I do this three times a week.

and I was very overweight when I started. The only injury I have had was a slight back kinjury in the gym. The other bonus with road running is apart from a good pair of trainers it doesn't cost you anything.

All I would say is start off gradually , if you run five miles straight away then you will do your knees in. Personally I don't like tred mills becuae they fix you in one position and you feel like a hamster. There is nothing better than going from jog on a lovely bright day .

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
don't hold back on weights. it's pretty easy to notice the difference between muscle & fat.. it shouldn't hide any weightloss results.

moreover, weight lifting is an anaerobic workout. it increases your resting metabolism. just think about it this way.. by packing on muscle mass, you build yourself into a 'bigger machine'. obviously greater ammounts of energy are going to be expended to run the machine.. hence, your 'resting metabolism' is boosted up.

a delicate combo of lifting/cardio should do the trick.
and congrats on all the weightloss.
it really requires determination, and you've made it this far. :)

goodluck

Offline nms

• Bronze Member
don't hold back on weights. it's pretty easy to notice the difference between muscle & fat.. it shouldn't hide any weightloss results.

moreover, weight lifting is an anaerobic workout. it increases your resting metabolism. just think about it this way.. by packing on muscle mass, you build yourself into a 'bigger machine'. obviously greater ammounts of energy are going to be expended to run the machine.. hence, your 'resting metabolism' is boosted up.

a delicate combo of lifting/cardio should do the trick.
and congrats on all the weightloss.
it really requires determination, and you've made it this far. :)

goodluck

Exactly, good point!!!
I would suggest cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach hitting around 65-75% of Target heart rate zone (220-age * your required percentage aka .75)
this will promote fat loss, while keeping muscle gains to the fullest. Do not shy away from weights as stated!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024