Author Topic: Best type or brand of bra to buy?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Bogey61

Wondering which direction to go in buying a bra.  I'm guessing I'm a 48C or D.  My breasts are wide apart and beginning to sag a bit ...also with "side boob".  For others with experience, what do you recommend?  Underwire? Wire free?  T-shirt bra?  Thinking I need something with a wide band under the arms to hold in the side boob.  If anyone has ideas what type of bra might be best, please post.  Thanks!

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
I know I'm not really one to talk (I haven't mustered the courage myself), but that "I'm guessing 48C or D" tells me you don't really know your size.  If you decide to start wearing a bra, it's really better to get a formal fitting.

That aside, the general consensus seems to be that underwire is much more comfortable, at the expense of giving your breasts more feminine shape.  But several members here have stated how the comfort is worth the look.  Regarding the style of bra, that depends on your breasts.  The only way to really know what suits you is to get fitted.  Otherwise you risk for example having wires that dig in.  And as for the side boob, a wired bra is supposed to contain everything (assuming you put it on right).

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
Yes, an underwire will help with that and they also make some with side support that will help. Do a search of your size with side support. Don’t be afraid to try different styles of bra to find what you like. I really had no idea when I started to wear a bra all that were out there. My wife was very supportive and helpful. Once I found my size, I have tried many. SomeI really like, some I like but not so much the look they give and other were just not for me. So find your size and try the styles till you find something you like

Online Johndoe1

Go here and use this measurement calculator. It's the most accurate of any of them. It uses 6 measurement points where the others only use 2. If you are 48 C or D, I would bet your band is actually a little smaller than you think and your cups might be a little larger than you think. Also remember, 80 to 90% of the support comes from the band around your rib cage, and not the straps so you want the band really snug but not painful, particularly if you are as large as you think you are. A loose band will ride up your back. Sure sign that the band is to large and the cups are probably too small. You want that band to not move when you raise your arms up over your head. If it does, the band is too large.

https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

aboywithgirls

Most places nowadays that sell bras are ready and waiting to fit us. Go get fitted!  It can be a very uplifting experience! Once you get professionally fitted you can see how wonderful wearing a bra can be.

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
Interesting topic to read and understand as well when deciding to get a bra that fits well.  I used the calculator provided and it suggested a 48D which is very interesting to me in that the last time I was fitted (just a few months ago at a local Catherine's) the SA also suggested that size but recommended trying on several from 46D  up and several 48 bands with different cup sizes.  I ended up where I started, by getting more of the 48B size which seemed to fit me best, finding it has a lot to do with how the cups are designed IE the molded cups tend to run larger, the unlined smaller. Also keep in mind, some bra designs are intended to enhance projection, which you can avoid knowing this. 
The point, you really need to try on any bra you want to buy prior to, these things are not so inexpensive that you can just toss them into a drawer and ignore  if it doesn't fit right.  And believe me, a proper fitted bra can be so comfortable you forget you have it on.  last point, a proper bra really does a good job of not only keeping you comfortable, but also helping blend in  your breast so that rather than a bouncy blob under your shirt, you have simply some well defined bumps that draw far less attention.  

Offline blad

Bra size numbers are all over the place. Without at least trying them on in the store it is total luck if you come home with something that really works for you. You know when you reach that point when you start forgetting you are even wearing a bra. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

aboywithgirls

Its not the only way but in my 30 years of wearing a bra every day,  for 16 hours  a day, is getting professionally fitted with a quality bra.

Any of you out there that are shy or too embarrassed to shop for a bra, you have to stop. Most of the boutiques,  department stores have already fitted males like us who have found that a bra is the best way to manage our breasts so we can enjoy day to day activities. 

I have shopped at JCPENNEY, Macy's as well as a few local boutiques and I have not been any of the fitters first male in need of a bra. In fact,  the owner of one of the boutiques told me that in her 30 years of selling bras, in the past 8-10 years, she has seen the amount of men coming to her , needing a bra significantly increase.

Offline expedient-traveller

• Silver Member
I can recommend ELOMI bras as they are made for larger frames and breasts. I tried dozens of bras from almost everyone I thought until I tried an Elomi since it was on sale for about 25 bucks or so. I have bought almost nothing else since I tried them. I have a 46H set of "assets" and cannot take advantage of all of the bras that the smaller sized gentlemen on this forum can take advantage of. Therefore I use ELOMI. Check e-bay and be blessed.

aboywithgirls

Elomi and Torrid bras are my go-to bras too!

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
I recommend a fitting and then trying on different bras till you find the ones that fit you the best.  The same named brand can have the same bra and one fits and one doesn't.  Make sure where you go has a fitting room so you can try them on.  I have had the right size bra (by the label) either over sized or under sized (the latter is worse since if you manage to get it on you may have a hard time getting it off).  I have actually had that happen to me and nearly ad to call for help to get out of it.  Just take your time and remember one companies cup and band size can and will differ from another's.

And remember weight gain or lose can change your bra size.  I have recently gone from a 36 A to a 34 A because of my continuing weight lose.
If you got them flaunt them.  We all wear bras so wear what you like and to hell with the rest.

gmast

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think everyone needs to go to a fitter to get his proper bra size.  The most prominent reason is that it is impossible to determine their bra size, as it does not exist.  The is no single bra size that is the correct bra size.  Different brands use different methods for sizing bras.  Some use band measurements, some band measurements plus 3 inches, some plus 4, some plus 5, and others use the measurement under your armpits to determine the band size.  On cup size, some go off the band measurement, some go off the band size.  Then even within brands, they seem to have different fits between different styles of bras.  So if you find someone that is competent at fitting, they are not giving you your bra size, but rather a bra size or sizes that fit you for the bras that they sell.  Now if you can't figure out your correct size for the models you try, then go to a fitter.  If you find that the band size you select is 4 inches off what a fitter comes up with and find that their recommendation is comfortable, you should get help from a fitter.  When someone says that he is a 48C or 48D, that does not mean he is ignorant and needs to go to a fitter, he may know the general sizes of bras that worked for him, and we can use that as an idea of what size he is.

From what I've read, it seems that the guys that have smaller cup sizes, A or B, they like sports bras.  Some like the compression bras while some prefer the encapsulated bras for more comfort.  They also tend to be shallow, so the breast fill the bottom of the bra, but not as much on the top, so molded cups and underwire bras have gaps on the top of the cups.  The guys with D cups and above fill the cups (when sized appropriately), and find that underwire bras tend to be more comfortable for them.

One other word of advice, when determining your bra size, be sure to go to the manufacturer to get sizing recommendations.  It is amazing to me how many retailers give links to bra sizing that does not match with the manufacturers.  If you read the reviews, it is not uncommon to read reviews of people complaining that the band is too tight, but find that the manufacturers method is based off band plus four or five and the retailer goes off band measurement (plus zero).  You'll also see many reviews are given across multiple retailers, often linked via Amazon, so some people complain that the bra band or cups run small, and other complain they run big, because the reviewers use different incorrect methods to determine their assumed bra size.

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
Well said GMAST!  I could not agree more.  I have had 3 or 4 fittings myself and it did help a lot.

Offline SideSet

First of all, you need to start wearing a bra.  Your measurement indicates you have breasts like a woman, and you need to wear a bra like a woman does. 

You really need to try on a bra before buying, and a professional bra fitting is very helpful, if not essential. 

Many places have had experience with men buying bras for themselves. When you go in, you’ll obviously be braless, and they will clearly see your breast jiggling as you walk in and your nipples showing through your top, so they  Will be really understand you need a bra just as much, if not more than their female customers. 

If you are worried, you can call ahead to check things out and let them know and make an appointment. Stores you might want to consider our Soma, lane Bryant, Catherine, and torrid.

I believe you would find it helpful to have some trusted fitters who can help you build the bra collection you need 

Offline gyneco_jason

• Bronze Member
Wondering which direction to go in buying a bra.  I'm guessing I'm a 48C or D.  My breasts are wide apart and beginning to sag a bit ...also with "side boob".  For others with experience, what do you recommend?  Underwire? Wire free?  T-shirt bra?  Thinking I need something with a wide band under the arms to hold in the side boob.  If anyone has ideas what type of bra might be best, please post.  Thanks!
I have the same problem with a wide chest and "side boob," and this bra is very supportive and comfortable. It's a bit noticeable under a shirt though: https://www.fullbeauty.com/products/everyday-embrace-side-smoothing-bra-by-comfort-choice/1028947-C.html#prefn1=braBandSize&prefn2=braCupSize&prefv1=42&prefv2=B&cgid=FBB_Clearance&isOutlet=false&dwvar_1028947-C_color=4238095&start=1 

You might like some of the other bras on Full Beauty, they have larger band sizes. I also agree on Cacique and Torrid being great for guys with gynecomastia. I had my fitting at Cacique and they were very helpful.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024