Author Topic: Hematoma drained 2 days ago, already swollen again  (Read 738 times)

Offline Tiredofittoo

One week post op, I developed a large hematoma directly behind the nipple. Over a few days, it grew so large I was having bad pain from the pressure. I had it drained via syringe on Tuesday. Took 60ml out and still left a little.

So 48 hours later,  it's almost the same size. It's beginning to put pressure on the nipple and skin, not as bad as Tuesday. My doctor is unavailable tomorrow but his nurse told him I wanted it drained again.

He said he recommended waiting till my follow up this coming Tues. Said there was a chance for infection and wanted to see if body would regulate the blood. The lump is hard, but can be pushed in.

I'm unhappy that he's not listening to my concerns of pressure, it's actuallypretty large already. Was his decision to recommend waiting when a patient has a growing hematoma warranted? If one grows a lot days in a row can it stop and regress? I'm at a point of going to the er to relieve pressure. He told me it would probably fill back up but I didn't think it would so fast

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Hematomas are fortunately an uncommon complication of any surgery Unfortunately when it happens to "you" it's a big deal. Fortunately they can be treated effectively and won't really change the final result. Unfortunately they require serial aspirations in the surgeon's office, usually done weekly until gone. Fortunately they usually don't need more than 2-3 aspirations. Rarely if they are filling up so fast and causing a lot of pain, a drain can be placed. I hear your frustration but recommend listening to your surgeon.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Developing a hematoma is a risk of having surgery. While it doesn't happen frequently, there are those patients that do need to have it aspirated on more than one occasion. You chose your surgeon because you trusted him/her with your care, so continue to stay in contact with his office as you go through the next few days before your next appt. I imagine they have an after-hours line you can contact if things continue to get worse? 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024