Author Topic: Best way to lose stomach fat? (Pics included)  (Read 7485 times)

Offline kidfromtv

• Posting Member
  • The Kid From TV
Hey everyone!  I've made a LOT of progress over the past few months (since late September), and I am SO pleased with the results; however, I still don't have that real lean look on my stomach.  As you can see, I'm getting pretty skinny.  I've been doing some research, and it seems the best way to lose the stomach fat is just by losing body fat.  I have a handheld BF tester, and it says I am around 6-8% BF, depending on when I test myself, but I have that extra layer of fat around my stomach.  I usually run around 3-4 miles about 5 times a week.  I also have watched what I eat.  As you can see, I've made a lot of progress since last fall.  Should I just be patient and keep watching my body transform, or is there more I need to do?  Thanks for stopping by and any response is appreciated!

Here are the pictures I took today:  Check 'em out here!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 02:19:33 PM by chad5871 »

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Great pics - incredible weight loss.

your chest has shrunk so much with just losing weight you dont have any breasts at all.

amazing!  

are you lifting any weights to maintain muscle mass, or cardio only ?
... and the saga continues

Offline kidfromtv

• Posting Member
  • The Kid From TV
Thanks for the reply, Tony.  Your kind words are appreciated very much.  I originally started doing just cardio, mostly running and elliptical machine, but now I am starting to do some body weight training (i.e. ab crunches, push ups, etc.) and using these stretchy resistance bands that my Dad has.  Apparently they're supposed to be as good as doing weight training at the gym (I don't know if I really believe that!) but I guess I'll find out in the months to come.

However, I must disagree with your breast tissue comment.  My chest has shrunk so much that I now have very little fat/extra tissue on my chest, but I still think I have gynecomastia behind the nipples, making them puffy and stick out.  I know that it is minor, but it bothers me and I would like to get it fixed anyway...

Any ideas on losing that last little bit of extra fat around the stomach/love handles?

Thanks again for the reply!

Offline GodWasAngry

• Silver Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! And it loves me!
i think working out (sit ups) and building muscle mass underneath the fat will help you with the stomach fat

Offline kidfromtv

• Posting Member
  • The Kid From TV
Cool.  Thanks for the response, GodWasAngry.  I started a couple of weeks ago doing those resistance band things for my chest/arms in addition to doing situps and crunches.  I've also been working my lower back muscles so I don't have overdeveloped muscles in my stomach and underdeveloped ones in my back.  =)  I'll keep updating here as necessary (whenever I see a big difference in appearance!)

Offline abaz

• Bronze Member
Congrats very much bro ! I joined the gym today, and I'll be started on an eliptical too  :P But I already have bigger arms, but I'm gonna keep going at them. Im suprised on your results, your before picture is the exact same as my stomach right now lol.

kick start my heart !
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:47:11 PM by abaz »

Offline kidfromtv

• Posting Member
  • The Kid From TV
Sweet.  Good luck at the gym.  It's a lot of hard work and it's hard to lose focus and to lose sight of the ultimate goal.  My utlimate goal is to have a nice little six-pack, nothing huge.  I'm going to keep working at it until I get it, too.  I owe it to myself.  Congrats on joining the gym, and if you are determined and focused, you will start seeing results very soon.  Good luck!

Offline abaz

• Bronze Member
thanks man, im there mostly for cardio and other fitness. i just want a flat stomach, and drop some weight. im not in it for a 6 pack, more of arms haha.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
Congrats very much bro ! I joined the gym today, and I'll be started on an eliptical too  :P But I already have bigger arms, but I'm gonna keep going at them. Im suprised on your results, your before picture is the exact same as my stomach right now lol.

kick start my heart !

looks like that shirt hides your gyne kinda well..

Offline Bakajin

• Bronze Member
like you've probably read elsewhere, spot reduction (losing fat from one specific area) is not actually possible.  The only way to reduce fat on your stomach is to reduce your overall bodyfat.  Everyone's bodymakeup is different and different people tend to retain their bodyfat in different locations.  slender/lanky guys tend to gain fat mostly just on their stomach (as opposed to gaining fat everywhere like stockier guys do) and usually this will be the last holdout area for fat when they reduce their weight.

to be honest, unlike most people, it doesn't seem like bodyfat is your main problem.  While you are unlikely to be at 6-8% bodyfat (handheld/electrical bodyfat testers are extremely inaccurate, often up to 10%) you still seem to be very lean, probably about 10-12%.   Your bone structure is showing through on both your ribs and around your waist so your fat level seems fine.   More likely its just that you seem to have a low muscle mass overall and have a relatively wide waist in comparison with your chest.  This is fairly common for naturally slender guys.

long distance running is great for fat loss but it makes it very difficult to gain or even retain muscle.  Possibly you should try reducing your aerobic (eg long distance jogging) workouts somewhat and move over to doing more weight training and intense anaerobic  (eg sprinting, rowing, etc) workouts which will help build both muscle and conditioning.  restistance bands are better than nothing but are not nearly as effective as regular or weighted bodyweight training such as pullups, dips or squats, or training with free weights.  Situps alone won't develop your abs a lot.  However being a stabiliser muscle, abs are used in many body movements and thus should develop with the rest of your muscles  assuming that you are doing exercises that involving using lots of sets of mucles (eg squats or sprinting as opposed to bicep curls).

Offline abaz

• Bronze Member
Tony, i wouldnt say that  :P i usually wear a sweater at the gym.

Offline kidfromtv

• Posting Member
  • The Kid From TV
Bakajin - thanks so much for the response.  That is exactly the type of information I was looking for.  I need to start going to the gym regularly (especially since I can go for free at college).  I really appreciate the time you took to respond.   8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:48:34 PM by chad5871 »

Offline colinosmar

• Posting Member
Hey, there are 2 factors that must be taken into consideration for abs, which is what it sounds like you want.  Lower bodyfat, and increased abdominal density.  Keep up the weight loss (remember to cycle your cardio onto different machines as your body adapts to the machine you use and eventually the results will slow down) and try training your abdominals with weight resistance.  Dont do just situps, as the difference between doing a sit up or using a sit up machine with 200 lbs resistance should be clear. The abdominals are like any other major muslce group and should only be trained 1-2 times a week fairly thoroughly.  Try to work out all three sections of the abs, (upper abs, lower abs and obliques) A decent training schedule for abs woul dlook something like this:

Roman chair (leg raises) 2-3 sets of 20 reps
Weight resistance stomach crunch chair 3-4 sets of 15 reps at highest resistance you can handle
Oblique twist chair 2 sets of 10 reps at highest resistance you can handle.

Try something like that, and make sure your diet is sufficient to burn fat, dont just watch what you eat but start eating 6 meals a day, every few hours, drinking alot of water, and some other things.  All of my information ive found in articles on www.bodybuilding.com and if you want more specific information you should head over there and check it out.

Colin.

Offline snugs

• Posting Member
I'll be 100% honest with you man, and this is in no way meant to cut you down.

If you were lean enough to have a six pack you would look like an Auschwitz survivor.

If you want to look good, you need to start eating like an animal AND working out like a madman. You need more muscle mass on your frame. If you want an EXCELLENT lifting routine for this just say so and i'll post one in here.

Offline kidfromtv

• Posting Member
  • The Kid From TV
Thanks for the posts everyone.  I haven't been keeping up with my workout routine for about a week since school just picked up again REALLY quickly, but I'm planning on going back again this week.

Snugs - sometimes honesty is the best policy.  Thanks for your input.  Could you suggest a good lifting routine?  I really don't have time to go to the gym, so if you have anything with either free or weighted body weight traing, or any resistance band exercises, I'm game.  What with working 25-30 hours a week and taking 17 credits, my days are just packed with so much freakin' work!  Thanks a lot for all of the advice!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024