Author Topic: Dr Delgado  (Read 3534 times)

Offline learner

Hi,
I am new to this site, and greatly appreciative of what you have done Merle!
I had my first visit with Dr. Delgado, the initial assessment ("average case of gyn"). Couple of comments for your feedback:
1) After all the positive on this message Board, the visit felt like a cold shower. After about 5 min. of one on one, Dr. Delgado brought me in another room to look at pictures, with an assistant present. He seemed in a hurry, not much room for engaging in a personal conversation on whether surgery was the best approach. He kept addressing me as "Man", which felt somehow annoying. Nothing dramatic, but just an overall sense of being rushed through an impersonal and somehow commercial process for what was a huge step for me. Has anybody else had similar experiences? I believe in first impressions so am at this stage hesitant to proceed with him despite his experience. How would you think about it?
2) On a great video posted by a former gyn patient (http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/charlesh/documentary/) Dr Frank Lista talks about a type of surgery that does not involve a cut around the areola. Dr. Delgado does not seem to use this technique. Any thoughts?
I appreciate your feedback.
learner

Offline wolfman

• keep fighting my friends
its very important that the ps takes time to talk to u in a calm way and not adressing u as MAN thats rude. Its very important that u feel confident with the doctor becouse he gonna do a very important operation on u, if u had a bad feeling about him when u meet him u should see anouther doctor becouse its VERY important tha u feel good about the ps.

Good Luck

Henke
i finally feel like im a man

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
He may be a good surgeon, which is more important ultimately, but I've gotta agree with wolfman.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Learner:

I had the opposite experience with Dr. Delgado.

I've never met with him, but we had a telephone consultation and he talked with me for a long time.  He answered all my questions and then some.

Regardless, it's important that you get a good/comfortable feeling from him.

I interviewed several doctors prior to my surgery and a couple of them seemed in a hurry to leave the room and get to their next consultation. That was very rude and I didn't pick them for my surgery.

I heard a similar complaint about another Dr. who routinely participates on these boards.  A guy from this site said the dr. was cold and didn't talk much. He did use this dr and loved his results.

Feeling comfortable with the surgeon is very important.

But remember, you're not looking for a best friend, you're looking for a skilled surgeon and you can't argue with Dr. Delgado's credentials.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:05:14 AM by jc71 »

Offline neato

• Posting Member
I had a consult and ultimately a surgery with Dr. Delgado and I found him to be pleasant and professional.

I know what you mean though, he called me 'man', 'dude' and used various other forms of slang.  That didn't bother me at all, in fact I didn't even think twice about it until I read your post.

He probably spent a good 45 minutes with me during the consult, so who knows what he had going during your time.

Obviously it's up to you, but I would give him another chance, he knows what he's doing.

Offline jimyd77

• Posting Member
I agree with Neato.  I had surgery with Dr. Delgado and am extremely pleased with the results.  The dude does like 90 of these things a year, which is almost 3X the amount most other PS I looked at (they averaged about 25).  He called me "man" and "dude" too, but personally that didn't bother me.  I didn't feel rushed with him, so I am surprised to hear that you had that experience...but I would recommend giving him a second shot...the guy does great work.

Also, his anesthesiologist is fantastic...post-surgery I wasn't completely zonked out or nauseous like I had been told I would be by friends who've gone under before.

Anyway...just my two cents.  Good luck with your search!

Offline learner

Thank you for all your comments. Very useful and appreciated.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
Hi,

I have known him for several years. In many ways he is just a regular guy. I think that he uses the 'man' as a form of reassurance.  There are many guys that having gynecomastia makes them feel less than masculine. I am sure that he means no disrepect. It could also be that he has trouble remembering names or even pronouncing them. He has a very slight speech impediment that it works hard to hide. I think that is one of the reasons that he has so much compassion for men with gynecomastia.

I had a great experience and continue to do so. I think that the pictures I posted show really great work. I will repost the link here.

Merle
http://www.myost.com/gynecomastiapics.html
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline desi

• Gold Member
I talked to him recently over the phone... he is very patient and goes over each n every detail... he addressed me as "man" and i absolutely DID NOT find it annoying.... in fact, i think, this is his way of getting friendly and providing reassurance... he said "you will be fine man" ...its more like talking to ur friend.. :)

i believe he is a fine person.... just talked to him for a few minutes...thats what i gather...:)
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024