Author Topic: read and help me!  (Read 2441 times)

Offline jonnewbie

Hey everyone im from england and just wondered if anyone had any advice or help with my situation.. I believe I have Gynecomastia and have had it since i was 14. I first noticed it when i was 14 and was on a school trip when some of my friends pointed it out and said i had 'man boobs'. However i've always been quite a skinny person so thought it was strange. When i was about 15 i mentioned it to my GP and he said about Gynecomastia and that it is normally caused by puberty and that it should go after puberty. Im now 19 and still have it and went to see my GP about it a few months ago who referred me to the endocrine department of a hospital who gave me a blood test and found there was no hormone imbalance and asssed my weight etc and confirmed it was Gynecomastia. However, the primary care trust is dealing with my case as they decide whether to fund the surgery and this has caused me some problems as they have said they want 'more evidence'. So i've been back to the hospital to have medical photos taken then the primary care referred me to see a psychiatrist. I went to see the psychiatrist a few week ago and they also backed my case for surgery. Im still yet to hear from the primary care but I shall ring them in the next few days but what will they say next?

Its really getting me down as i find it so embarrassing and it affects my day to day life so much. Its been stressing me out alot lately as its coming up to summer. I want to love summer time but cause of my problem i hate it. I can't take my top off or where certain t shirts as they show it so end up having to wearing baggy t shirts to hide it. I went on holiday with friends last year and i ended up staying in my hotel room in the day as I wouldnt want to go swimming or to the beach and my friends would all question me why but i managed to find excuses. Also when I showered i'd put my t shirt on straight away in the bathroom so no one could see. Im again going on holiday with friends this year and worried about it.

I dont know why they haven't approved the surgery as I meet all the criteria:
Im healthy and not over weight (if anything slighty underweight)
Its clear hard lumps of tissue under the nipples and not just fat
I've never used drugs in my life

If I get declined for surgery on the NHS i'll just have to go private but I don't see why I have to.

If anyone is in a simular situation or been accepted/declined for surgery on the NHS for this problem please could u reply to this post or message me. I'll keep everyone updated on my process.

Many Thanks,

Jon

Offline jonnewbie

also i've just read some of your stories and can really relate to them. Specially about hiding the puffy nipples... I always put tape over them when im just wearing a tshirt/shirt which can be painful but it gives me much more confidence. Also about giving yourself a nipple twist... this has been a way i've got throught lots of situations, like giving myself a nipple twist then quickly getting into the pool then once getting out i put a towel over me then put a t shirt back on!

Offline socorock

• Posting Member
Hey, I'm 18 and i'm also from the UK and tried to get surgery on the NHS but unfortunatly they said no. After months of waiting, getting pictures taken, waiting for letters, seeing a number of doctors all just to be dissapointed. I'm now getting it done with BUPA in leicester, in about 4 weeks hopefully.

Offline jonnewbie

How much is this going to cost you?

Offline socorock

• Posting Member
I don't know the exact price yet, but it's going to be about £3000-£3500. Do you have and pictures of your gyne? Physically, How bad is it? is it just a case of 'puffy nipples' or worse?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024