Author Topic: Surgeon Suggestions and Costs (Brisbane)  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Bris_Tits

• Posting Member
As a 27 year old who has tried almost everything for the last 2.5 years I'm now considering surgery as my only option to get rid of my glandular gyne. I'm very disciplined so I'm at the gym and have developed a strong physique with low body fat of about 13%, however the glands really do stick out unusually to the point where something has to be done. I haven't been to the beach in 3 years now.

I'm keen to hear your suggestions for who I should have surgery with given that my priority is a successful surgery with no defects/cratering etc. My next consideration is cost - Ideally I want a great surgeon who will do a great job at a reasonable price. It seems that the more experience a surgeon has in gyne surgery the more likely it is a good job will be done.

After reviewing the previous recommendations in other peoples threads theres a lot of talk about Dr Paul Belt here in Brisbane and Dr Widdowson on the Gold Coast. From my analysis it seems that both surgeons do a good job with Widdowson perhaps being the more practiced (20 surgeries a year and a long history?). However I also saw some posted costs which seemed to indicate that Widowson is about $1k more expensive. ($5k vs $4k)

Does anyone have any more details as to why I should choose one over the other - or indeed whether there is anyone else I should be considering...

Also any advice on what to expect from my private health fund - NIB?

Keen to hear your suggestions and thanks in advance.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Regarding NIB - I'm with them as well.  Don't know what plan you are on exactly, but they paid for my hospital stay (2 nights) and the operating theatre fee.  BUT i had to pay a $400 excess on the day.  I had my op in hospital...if you dont yours in hospital you wont have to worry about that.  But either way you'll have to pay a theatre fee. (well, your fund will)

Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline raiders637

Hi Bris_Tits, i had a consult with Dr Mark Magnusson in Toowoomba  bout a month ago and he seems to know alot about gynaecomastia,
he said he performs this gyne surgery bout every 4 weeks for the last 8 years, he showed me some photos and all looks good!
he quoted me for incision only coz iv only got gland like yourself and low body fat.

Dr Magnusson fee- $4200
surgical assistant fee round $420
Anaesthetist-$480
theater approx- $750

bout $5800 all up i think i worked out, but you get back from medicare round $900 plus if your with nib they'll pay for the theater fee, but you have to be with nib for min 12 months to claim that, I'm have my operation on 12 June can't wait! hope this helps. ;)

Offline Bris_Tits

• Posting Member
Well I've seen Paul Belt and he seems ok. I'm quite slim and for sure my main problem requires excision surgery which he said was likely, but not definite which was a bit of a worry...  Compounding those concerns was the fact that hes only been doing this type of surgery for a bit over a year or two now with just 12 or so clients. Having said that the before and after photos were good, so perhaps he is talented. I hope so.
Looks to be a total of $4900 before any benefits are paid

Can anyone let me know how they went with Belt - and whether there are any quality alternatives in BNE.  Unfortunately hes on 3 weeks holiday and the earliest appointment I can get is early August !!! and thats not even the surgery...

Regards,

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
The good news is after your consultation you can usually schedule your surgery quite soon...e.g. a couple of weeks after the consultation.
Once you pay a deposit they tend to take you a lot more seriously.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024