Author Topic: Odd (unexpected) side effect...  (Read 4487 times)

Offline shon

• Posting Member
Apologies in advance for the nature of the topic... but has anyone experienced ahem... dhiarrea as a result of the compression garment or any other post-op change in routine (ie/ meds)?  I have stopped taking meds all together so I can't imagine it is any residual on the meds side.  I eat as I did before (same diet) but less; i find it uncomfortable to allow myself to get 'full' due to the garment so i tend to stop eating at half full.  I am not under-eating by any means however.

When I do eat, and even when I drink, the noises my tummy make are crazy.  My partner giggles actually because the sounds are so pronounced it sounds like a sci-fi video game.

I've convinced myself that the unexpected side-effect is somehow connected to the compression garment.  Any similar situations?

GynO_DuDe

No idea if its garment related, but when I had my surgery and due to the drugs I was on, I had constipation and didn't go to the toilet for like 4 days!! ... wish I had diarohhea back then, constipation is the worst feeling ever lol

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
Never had diaoreha but did get the constipation due to the drugs.

I used to loosen the compression vest on the stomach if I felt bloated but left the top part fastend this helped my stomach
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Diarrhea after surgery is most unusual and I cannot think of how, medically, it could be related to your compression garment.  Most often, constipation, as a side effect of pain medication, is the problem.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline m9taylor

• Posting Member
It really is strange, but I can tell you I went through the exact same thing. For a couple days I felt really embarassed, trying to fall asleep and my stomach just wouldn't shut up! My partner would laugh and giggle to the point I'd go sleep on the couch :P.

Personally, I have a feeling that had to do with not only a drastic physical change (cessation of exercise), but also just a change in my diet as well. I know that my own stomach doesn't react well to change, and unfortunately the slightest rapid change in diet or strange food intake will bring on the noises or eventual diahrea (sp).

I'll tell you though, it does pass; I would suggest however to up your protein intake and obviously more fibre, that will definately help!

Hope I helped a bit :)

- Mike -

Offline Angel_of_Death

• Silver Member
My surgery is in exactly 8 days.

This will be my 2nd surgery experience. The first one was about 5 years ago, a minor surgery to have a kyst removed. The most painful part of that surgery was the constipation I got from taking the pain killers. I suffered like hell LOL!

I swore to myself I wouldn't touch any pain killers this time, and after my gyne surgery I will endure any kind of pain because there is no way it's gonna be worse than the pain I had from not shitting in 6-7 days.

So maybe someone could answer this, is the post-op pain manageable without any meds or pain killers ?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Angel,

There's usually a fair amount of postop pain; enough to required narcotic pain meds.  And with narcotic meds come side effects, such as constipation.  If you have a history of problems with pain meds, ask your doctor to prescribe a stool softener, or maybe even take a mild laxative right away.  I think you're better off doing that than having pain.  And most non-narcotic paid meds (NSAID group,such as Advil, Nuprin, Aleve, etc.)  create a greater risk of postop bleeding, especially after liposuction.

Good luck.  Keep us posted, since you'll be traveling alone for your surgery.  ;)

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
Just to chime in, I didn't notice constipation on the pain meds, but once I was off them, I paid for it for a few days.  Took a while to finally feel normal.  I agree with Taylor's comment too: it's not just the meds probably, but the whacked out schedule and foods you're likely to undergo post op as well.

DrBermant

My surgery is in exactly 8 days.

This will be my 2nd surgery experience. The first one was about 5 years ago, a minor surgery to have a kyst removed. The most painful part of that surgery was the constipation I got from taking the pain killers. I suffered like hell LOL!

I swore to myself I wouldn't touch any pain killers this time, and after my gyne surgery I will endure any kind of pain because there is no way it's gonna be worse than the pain I had from not shitting in 6-7 days.

So maybe someone could answer this, is the post-op pain manageable without any meds or pain killers ?

Pain and discomfort after surgery depend on the problem to be treated, surgical methods, skill of the surgeon, and other factors.  Although I prescribe strong after surgery pain medications with my techniques, my patients usually tell me that plain tylenol alone is enough to keep them comfortable.  Check out these typical patient experiences with pain and comfort after my gynecomastia surgery.  Follow the links to the individual pages of comments to learn about this issue.

For my patients who need stronger pain medication such as my Tumescent Lower Body Lift, stool softeners help lessen the chance of constipation.

With my gynecomastia surgery, I actually need to warn my patients about too much pain medication!
Strong pain medication without pain can cause nausea.   

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Hospital food is forgettable...I was constipated for 3 days post op from the general anesthetic.  I didnt take any painkillers because I don't like getting doped up on pills - the less drugs in your system the better.  I just put up with the mild discomfort...had more pain from going to the gym in the past, and most people will find that the mental pain of gyno is way worse than the physical resulting from the op anyway
Surgery done 18th March 2008

DrBermant

Hospital food is forgettable...I was constipated for 3 days post op from the general anesthetic.  I didnt take any painkillers because I don't like getting doped up on pills - the less drugs in your system the better.  I just put up with the mild discomfort...had more pain from going to the gym in the past, and most people will find that the mental pain of gyno is way worse than the physical resulting from the op anyway

Yes, general anesthesia can take time for all of those medications to be metabolized before patients feel better.  That is why I use Local Anesthesia with Heavy Sedation for almost all of my Gynecomastia surgery.  The exception is an circumferential upper body lift, where I use a Light General Anesthesia Tumescent Technique to protect the patient's airway when working on their back and sides.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024