Author Topic: Someone with you after surgery? (Fielding patient)  (Read 4406 times)

Offline G-Man99

• Silver Member
Hi, just want to inquire about this because GML told me that I would need someone with me at the hospital after surgery. My surgery is in 2 weeks and I was planning to do this all alone since I'm living far away from Toronto (was gonna spend the first night in hospital and finding an hotel for the second night and leaving on friday).

I was under the impression that BC Guy did it all by himselve but maybe I was wrong.

Neither the doc or his helper told me about it. Can someone confirm to me that you can do it all alone?

Thanks.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
It's to my understanding that it is hospital policy that you have someone, friend, family member, accompany you home from the hospital.

Hospital Staff 'may' allow you to take a cab by yourself, back to your hotel. Not sure on that though. Give St. Joes or Fielding a call to confirm.....   ;)

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Yeah. That's my understanding too. Did anyone had surgery just by himself? I don't think, hospital staff will allow that as you need someone to go back to home after surgery.
Surgery done on Sept 6th, 2006 with Dr. Fielding - Toronto. Not 100% cured but will get there for sure !!!
----------------------------------------------------

Revision done on December 7th, 2007. Let's hope for best !!!
-------------------------------------------

Dr. Fielding
Suite #401, 2425 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Tel: 416.766.88

Offline supaaman

• Silver Member
My wife came to TO, but did not accompany me to the hospital.  I took a cab back to my hotel by myself.  You can easily, in my opinion, do it yourself.  Tell them your wife is at the hotel if you are worried about getting out.
JCF  Success Story - Surgery Aug 23, 2006

Offline G-Man99

• Silver Member
Since they didn't told me about that during the consultation I felt that it wasn't an issue. I'll get there and will do what you just suggested if there's any problem.

Thanks guys.

Offline G-Man99

• Silver Member
I called and it's okay if you're alone and take a cab to the hotel after spending the first night in hospital.

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
what if you dont spend the night at the hospital?
you have to stay at hospital overnight???

Offline G-Man99

• Silver Member

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
i will pay a stranger 5$ to say hes my friend, then. :)

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
supaaman said that all he said was his wife is waiting for him at hotel and they let him go.

Offline supaaman

• Silver Member
I stayed overnight at the hospital though and totally recommend that.  They pump you with fluids on the IV, so you actually leave feeling very well and hydrated.  As well, you have peace of mind knowing that the nurses and Fielding can check for any complications in the morning (hematoma being the most likely).  Fielding came in in the a.m. before I cabbed it out of there and let me know everything went fine and I seemed to have no complications.  The nurses were great.

However, the food SUCKS.  I was really hungry (but I take it most people are a little nauseous and I wasn't at all).  There wasn't much food and what they did provide was not so good.  I would bring a bag with lots of food for your time in the hospital.

When I left, I pretty much just walked out, grabbed a cab and headed back to the Westin.  I was able to book the Westin for $80USD on priceline.com (through a bid).  Apparently you can get it even cheaper this time of year.  You can't specify the hotel, but you can specify the 4 star rating and downtown location.  It was a nice place to recover!

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
Hmm i think you are right. It would be good to stay overnight to make sure there is no complications after the surgery.

Does dr Fielding actually check on you after the overnight stay to see that there were no complications?

Offline Give me Life

• Gold Member
Westin Harbour for $80 is steal deal. I am in Toronto but I will try to bid $60 and If I get it, don't mind spending a weekend there. Nice Hotel.

Offline supaaman

• Silver Member
MRD,

Yes, it is my understanding that he usually comes in and has a look.  I think staying forces you to relax which is good for healing inside the critical 24-48 hrs.

GML, yes I have heard you could get $60 or so in off peak periods, however, with priceline you cannot specify the hotel.  You will get which ever 4 star accepts your bid, but it will be of equal quality - like the Sheraton or the Hilton.

check out www.biddingfortravel.com to see what people are getting 4 star's for in TO.

Offline loman1

• Posting Member
I'm planning the same thing.  Night at the hospital, a couple more nights at a hotel and then back to BC.  And I'm planning on doing it alone.  

Consultation next week.  Very nervous...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024