Author Topic: Hello, I have a question about my condition  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Joey101

• Posting Member
Hi, I'm new - I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so I apologise if it's not.

About a year ago I noticed that my breasts were noticably larger or swollen - in fact people in the street were commenting on it which made me very embarrased - and proved that it wasn't just in my head.

I've always been a pretty thin person, but in the last couple of years I gained quite a lot of weight(although I'm in no way obese) - so I put the breast enlargement down to weight gain. I've actively tried to lose weight, and have lost a bit recently, but my breasts have remained the same size. I mentioned it to my doctor and he didn't seem to think it was much of a concern, but I've been quite self-concsious and embarrased about it and only wear loose t-shirts now to hide it.

I've done some reading on gynecomastia and my main question is this: is there a way of telling whether it's caused by weight (ie. fat) or whether there's a hormonal problem. I read that if you feel the breast and you feel a hard disc, that can indicate a hormonal or other underlying cause. However when I feel my breasts they feel 'squishy' (for want of a better word) and not hard or solid. They are not particularly tender either. Does this mean it's more likely to be simply fat which can hopefully be reversed, rather than genuine gynecomastia? Or might it develop into gynocomastia?

Also, does anyone know of a gynecomastia expert/doctor who is happy to answer questions by email?

thank you if you can help,

Joey  :)

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Hello Joey, and welcome!

When people talk about gynecomastia, they often reffer to who types of it:

psuedogynecomastia - caused by fat only

gynecomastia - mainly glands

Often, gynecomastia is both fat and glandtissue. It's hard to judge whether you have mainly fat or not. Remember that breasttissue can be pretty soft (stringy) aswell, and doesn't mainly have to be hard.

Regards.

Offline Joey101

• Posting Member
thanks,

If it is pseudogynecomastica (which I assume is preferable to having real Gyne) is that something which is helped by losing weight?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There is little point in making a distinction between true and pseudo gynecomastia. The reason is simple enough to understand. Rarely is there any physical problem caused by the breast enlargement, the effects are almost always emotional and psychological. Further, the effect is the same and so too is the treatment.

The breast is a normal place for fatty deposits, even in men. Diet and/or weight loss is not usually successful in reducing the size of the male breast to a significant degree.

Talk to your Doctor again. Relate your concerns and ask for a test to be sure that there is nothing hormonally wrong. If there is a hormone problem, you may need to have a referral to an Endocrinologist to treat the problem. It is more likely that there is not anything significantly wrong.

The only sure way to get rid of gynecomastia is surgery, but you would be wise to check the condition out medically first just for your own peace of mind.

There are a variety of herbal remedies that are marketed for the reduction of Gynecomastia. Save your money, They can be expensive and they do not work.

Welcome aboard, and Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I am a tad confused here... what does it matter how much of your gynecomastia is fat tissue and how much is gland. Or, is it one or the other? Gyne: woman like  mastia: breasts. If you have woman like breasts, then you have gynecomastia. Period!

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
I agree with Grandpa. If you have breast enlargement, you have breast enlargement, regardless how much is fat or gland. And if it amounts to visible feminization of the chest... you have gynecomastia.

When I first discovered my gynecomastia, I was all caught up in the issue of composition of fat or gland like a lot of guys. Bottom line is a qualified surgeon will excise any gland and lipo the surrounding fat. 

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
When I first discovered my gynecomastia, I was all caught up in the issue of composition of fat or gland like a lot of guys. Bottom line is a qualified surgeon will excise any gland and lipo the surrounding fat.

Exactly...  ;)

GB

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
me or you? you are not a doctor and you propose breast cancer drugs to eliminate gynaecomastia.

It's no news that some people have been treated with nolvadex/letrozole/arimidex in order to eliminate gynecomastia. Who cares if it's cancer drugs? It fullfill it's purpose. There's alot of studies on the subject.

Read up on the subject instead of acting so ignorant.

Also, I've never suggested ANYONE to self-medicate, so stop spreading false information. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:10:07 PM by RyanMace »

Offline Joey101

• Posting Member
There is little point in making a distinction between true and pseudo gynecomastia. The reason is simple enough to understand. Rarely is there any physical problem caused by the breast enlargement, the effects are almost always emotional and psychological. Further, the effect is the same and so too is the treatment.

The breast is a normal place for fatty deposits, even in men. Diet and/or weight loss is not usually successful in reducing the size of the male breast to a significant degree.

Talk to your Doctor again. Relate your concerns and ask for a test to be sure that there is nothing hormonally wrong. If there is a hormone problem, you may need to have a referral to an Endocrinologist to treat the problem. It is more likely that there is not anything significantly wrong.

The only sure way to get rid of gynecomastia is surgery, but you would be wise to check the condition out medically first just for your own peace of mind.

There are a variety of herbal remedies that are marketed for the reduction of Gynecomastia. Save your money, They can be expensive and they do not work.

Welcome aboard, and Good Luck!

thanks for the advice.  :) I'll speak to my doctor again.  I'm still going to try and lose a little weight though

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024