Author Topic: Cortisone shots  (Read 10310 times)

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
I had cortisone shots today from my PS. I'm 5 weeks post op. Thought i'd keep a little diary of what effects they have.

The PS injected both sides in two different places. Zero pain.

He struggled to get the stuff out the needle and into the scar tissue saying it was very dense  :-/

Here's hoping it works,

lopher

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
where abouts did u have the shots.  was it around yr nipples,  or inner chest area.  i got thick scar tissue on my inner chest
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
  • Unsuccessful Lipo...Excision Revision..still Puffy
please keep us updated...a few of us are considering these shots!
8 years of suffering Mild gyne...
2 surgeries & $6,000 later....
         STILL PUFFY   :/

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
where abouts did u have the shots.  was it around yr nipples,  or inner chest area.  i got thick scar tissue on my inner chest

hey mate,

been a while...

how'd your 4th procedure go? you good to go yet or what?

... and the saga continues

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
O.K this is very weird  :o

I had the cortisone shots yesterday and i thought i would update this every few days. I figured if I was checking my chest every five minutes I wouldn't notice any changes. Also my PS has booked me in for my next set of shots in 3 weeks so i haven't been expecting anything sudden.

But the weird thing is I just went to rub in some silicone scar jel and I got a bit of a surprise. I'm sure that they are way way softer! I really can't say about the size. I don't think the size has changed, but definately some changes to their hardness.

lopher

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
hey tony, the last n final surgery went good. im flat now. only problem is i have alot of internal deep scar tissue on my left side which makes that side look very bumpy in apperance.  its rock hard the scar tissue and i knw massaging aint gna help.

lopher do u knw the name of the cortosine u had,  was it called trimacloine  or something like that??  where abouts in yr chest area did u have it?

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
Hey Uk Yeah it was called Triamcinolone, he injected it along the incision scar lines. In total he used a full insulin plunger of the stuff plus just over another half, but I don't remember the mg p/ml strength.

I was a bit surprised because there really didn't seem to be any kind of exact science to it. I watched closely and in one place he would squirt out a little, and in another place he'd use a load. I think it really depended on how much he could inject into the scar itself. I got the impression he was finding it pretty hard work, and he appeared to really be struggling to depress the plunger in on a few places, so it was a case of stick it in here and have a go, nope, ok i'll stick it in there. Seemed rather crude actually. I was jabbed more times than Freddie Mercury's a hole, but I think he only got some out in two different places on each side. I was totally happy though because I couldn't feel a thing, scar tissue is dead. But, I imagine if you had what you thought was scar tissue but it turned out to be gland... now that's going to smart a bit  :o

Oh after my half done NHS job a few years back I tried to get cortisone shots, via both the NHS and private clinics but the responses I got were basically what the hell would you want that for?

I'm really confused as to why there is so much anti-cortisone feelings floating around by some surgeons and Dr's. I like to be impartial so i've been googling around like crazy trying to find out the negative effects of cortisone, but i'm really struggling to find anything substantial when used over the short term. Especially from the newer types of cortisone like Triamcinolone which is a synthetic derivative with less potential for harm and has a longer lasting effect.

From what I can gather is when Cortisone was first manufactured it was seen as a bit of a wonder drug. Dr's started prescribing it in huge doses and then later people started getting side effects after chronic long term high dose use. I think the drug just got a bad name. But if anyone knows different please post here because i'm really interested now to know more about this stuff and why so many Dr's seem unwilling to try it  ???

I'd like to hear Dr Bermants view of using it, but in all the posts where people have asked him a question about cortisone, he has never said a word. It's just weird, a lot of Dr's seem to hate the stuff but they can't seem to say why. My PS didn't have a problem with using it... Right now I have no idea if that was him being irresponsible or other surgeons being close minded. There seems to be very little information floating around as to why you hear comments like "No board certified PS in the U.S would use it". Which i've heard. Thats fine, just tell me why...

Remember scar tissue forms as a result of trauma. So it can happen for a number of reasons, not just gyne surgery! And one of the most common uses for cortisone injections for scar tissue seems to be injections into a joint such as the shoulder to break down a lump of scar tissue that has formed after an injury to say that shoulder. Now if the patient is in pain as a result of the scar tissue, or the lump of scar tissue is affecting flexibility in a joint, then there seems to be no hesitation to justify the use of Cortisone. But, if it's for cosmetic reasons suddenly you hit the eery brick wall silence. No that's bad. You can't have it. I mean why? It's the same stuff. If I had a bad shoulder AND a big lump of scar tissue poking out a nipple, BUT only one bottle of cortisone... well i'd know where i'd want the Dr to stick it  ;) I just think cosmetic problems such as gyne are just not understood by anyone except those that have had to suffer from it. I think whilst the taboo's of cosmetic surgery are starting to fade there still seems to be a general bias that Dr's hate using medicine to treat cosmetic problems...

Sh!t sorry for the novel, just started ranting...

lopher
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:52:09 AM by lopher »

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
thnx lopher
u said he inserted it in the incision scar line, so was yr scar tissue showing up externally,  or was it a internal build up??

who was yr PS that gave it??   how long after surgery did u have these shots

thnx

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
thnx lopher
u said he inserted it in the incision scar line, so was yr scar tissue showing up externally,  or was it a internal build up??

who was yr PS that gave it??   how long after surgery did u have these shots

thnx

Nope to scar tissue showing up externally. It was internal, actually pulling the external scar inwards a little. This is hard to describe but the scar lump started along the curve of the incision line and actually followed the incisions curved shape and then went inwards becoming a larger disk shaped lump about the size and shape of a 2p coin, but maybe about twice as thick. Externally not noticeable.

O.K so 48 hours post cortisone now. 5 weeks post op.
Scar tissue is definately much softer. I can physically feel that I can shape it from squeezing it with my fingers, I can bend it etc. And squash it flat. Before it was absolutely rock hard. My PS put the needle in through the actual incision scar and went into it at various depths. I felt absolutely nothing when he did this. Now it's really dawned on me and I feel really reassured psychologically that it must be scar tissue and I don't have any remaining gland in there. I have feeling in my nipples, yet felt nothing. Cannot possibly be leftover gland.

The external scar that was creased inwards along the incision line under the pull of the scar tissue has also popped out a lot overnight. I know that sounds crazy... It still goes slightly inwards and isn't quite smooth but has definately popped out a lot in the last 24 hours.

I'm sorry if this thread seems all positive. I'm trying to be as unbias as possible. The only negative I can attribute to this so far is that ever since the op, for the last 5 weeks the nipples have been permanently contracted 100% of the time. I believe this is from the scar tissue that is attached to them. Now after the cortisone injections the scar tissue is clearly losing its 'grip' for want of a better word over the aerola's. They are starting to relax. So i'm slightly worried they may puff out again. But then I couldn't expect them to stay contracted for the rest of my life. Time will tell.

lopher
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:37:53 PM by lopher »

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
sounds like things are going well...hopefully it will continue going that direction. Thanks for the updates

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
O.k i'm 72 hours post cortisone shots now.

I have a strong feeling the cortisone effects are wearing off, or have worn off now. The original rock hard scar tissue seems to have evolved from going to soft and malleable but no size reduction, to firming up again and a feeling of contracting. It definately isn't as hard as it was, but it's still a little firmer than it was yesterday. However the obvious change i'm noticing today has been a definate reduction in it's size. In a lay mans terms I would be guessing the tissue has shrunk as it feels a lot smaller, but as it's shrunk it's density has increased making it feel harder again.

This is all how I am interpreting this. And user interpretations can be rather innacurate! But my guess would be the scar tissue is about 30% smaller than it was. And I would estimate the remaining tissue is about 20% less 'dense' than it was pre-cortisone.

That's all I can really say for now,

Gruff
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:13:23 PM by lopher »

Offline SC GameCOCKS

• Gold Member
are you going in for a second dose?

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
are you going in for a second dose?

I'm booked in for a second course 3 weeks after the 1st. Will I go?.......If there's any scar tissue left by then  ;D

Day 4 post cortisone.
Further improvements in reduction in scar tissue size. I estimate the scar tissue has shrunk by around 50% since having the injections.

If this is as good as it ever gets I don't think i'll be bothered. Although it's hard to tell as aerola's are still permanently contracted. When they eventually relax, I don't know how much they will 'puff out'.

lopher

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
are you still "nailed to the wall?"

Offline lopher

• Bronze Member
are you still "nailed to the wall?"

No thank god  ;D  ;D  ;D

The scar tissue was acting as an anchor to the aerola's if that makes sense, holding them tightly in position. My PS explained that was made worse by a low bady fat in the area. (I could kiss him, I haven't had low bodyfat in my chest since I was about 10 years old  :D)
Anyway no, all is good at the moment  ;)

lopher

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024