Author Topic: had my consultation today  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
my "magic number" is $4337.  :( sooooooooo much money. i want this gyne gone so badly, but my case is very mild--even he said so--and i keep thinking about how i already have so much debt and shouldn't spend any more money. but i'm afraid if i don't do this now then i'll never get it done because i'll probably just end up with more debts anyway. and i tell myself that if i feel better about myself then maybe that will somehow motivate me to get a better job or something--and pay it all off more quickly. i would be more self-confident, i imagine. he says that i'm a good candidate--that i'm young, not overweight, that i have pec muscles and that he doesn't sense the presence of very much hard gland--that it seems to be softer breast tissue and he wants to use excision to get it all out "for good", as he said. he was a plastic surgeon for the US Navy for over a decade so apparently he has experience with men. so that's all good. AND the other good news is that i can have the surgery very quickly if i want---the first open date for it would be in just 3 weeks.  but now that i've got the green light for it, i'm kinda' getting really nervous about going through with it. i want to get rid of these "things" on my chest but it's sooo much money--when i already have so much debt. and insurance won't pay for anything because i don't have any sensitivity, pain, discharge, nothing--it's all "cosmetic" (forget about the psychological damage it has caused me).  okay, i'm just venting and rambling now. thanks for listening!

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
The words "so much debt" can mean different things to different people.  You may be able to sell off some things on Ebay and save up your money.  Even if you could get half the cost to pay in cash you'd be saving yourself a lot of $ in debt payments.  This may be a good time to get a new credit card and transfer funds.  A lot of card companies will give you a super-low rate for transfers.   You could ask the P.S. if there are any financing options through his office.  Where there's a will there's a way.  Be patient, though, and make a plan with achievable goals.  Write it down and stick to it.  
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
basically it's like this--i have around $11000 in debt on a credit card. i have $5000 saved up. So, i could apply all of that to my credit card debt and be half way through it all or...i could use it for the gyne surgery. if i use the money to pay my debt i'll be unhappy that i have the gyne. if i use it for the gyne then i'll be unhappy that i still have the debt.  but i think i'm gonna have the surgery. and then if need be i can get another part time job on the side in the future to help pay for it all and then i can just quit when i have paid that debt since i already have a full time job. i just think i have to get rid of these breasts cause if i don't, then even if i'm debt-free...i'll still feel miserable. soooo, i think i'll call the doc tomorrow and book a date.

the actual doctor's fee is only $2400 but then the big kicker for me is that it has to be done at a hospital since the doc doesn't have his own surgery center--so that adds a lot of money, and then there's $900 or so for anastesia, etc. maybe i'll tell him to keep me awake and just give me an advil and then i'll save $900, lol. just kidding.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
that's still cheap compared to what it would cost you elsewhere.  if you can, leave yourself a little cash cushion so you can still make a few payments if you get laid off, but get a second job and give up beer for half a year if that'll take the debt down.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Warlord

• Posting Member
  • My battle with gynecomastia has begun.
that's still cheap compared to what it would cost you elsewhere.  if you can, leave yourself a little cash cushion so you can still make a few payments if you get laid off, but get a second job and give up beer for half a year if that'll take the debt down.  

Absolutely.  I went in for my consultation this past July and the total cost came to $6,400, which is, obviously, way less than what you were quoted.  Now, before you look at that price and faint, there a few things to note:

1.  That price is all inclusive.  It includes the vests, the anaesthesiologist, facility use, PS fee, all pain medication, and all follow-up appointments.

2.  This price also includes the PS fees for any secondary surgery that may need to be done.  That means if the PS or I feel that the initial surgery did not do a complete job and there's room for improvement, all I'll need to pay for is the cost of the facility and the anaesthesiologist (about $1400 total).

3.  The PS I have gone to is, from my research, one of the most talented and respected plastic surgeons in the tri-state area (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana).  Although I am keeping my options open before finally committing to any one PS, I firmly believe that you get what you pay for and I am told that he is well worth the quoted price.

The price of $4300+ is about average, so I wouldn't really sweat it, if I were you.  What you need to decide, though, is exactly how important this is to you.  I completely understand your hesitation over using your $5000 for the surgery, instead of the credit card debt, but is the credit card debt really THAT important, when compared to the emotional and psychological aspect of not having the surgery done?

My personal situation is far more complex (or seems to be) than yours.  I am 36 years old and the father of five children: 18, 14, 8, 8, and 5.  My wife and I have a house, with two new vehicles, plus credit card debt that we, too, are in the process of eliminating.  We're lucky, in the sense that we both have good jobs and are not really in any financial straits, but that's a lot of debt floating around.

Now, I examined the entire big picture and did consider putting off the surgery until the debts were paid off.  However, it'll be at least TWO MORE YEARS before that happens, and with me already being 36, I don't feel like waiting any longer than necessary.  The way I have it planned, I'll be able to have the surgery by November of next year by using $4,000 from our income tax refund, $1200 from our December profit sharing, and $1200 from our July profit sharing.  That's all without touching our normal budget, so it should be doable.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that even the best laid plans can come undone.  Even though I have this all planned out, it's very possible that I may have no choice but to do exactly what I don't want and place the debts first, making the surgery second.  That's a reality I have to consider, but, should it occur, is also one that I'm prepared to make the most of.  My wife is starting a home-based business, so that'll bring in other income to help pay off our debts faster (we both want to be debt-free by the time we reach 40).  In addition, I'll do whatever is necessary - getting a med loan, selling on eBay, getting an under-the-table second job, beg, borrow, steal - to get the money and make this happen.

Like I said, it all depends on how much you want it.  It's more than a cliche, it's the truth:  where there's a will, there's a way.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:40:24 AM by Warlord »

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
well, i'm single and don't have to worry about supporting a family or anything. so i think i'll get the surgery. it will mean that it will take a lot longer for me to pay off all my debts like I wanted to, but even if I pay off all these debts, i'm sure there will be more debts in the future. so i think i'll just get the surgery while i can and then later i can always get a 2nd, part-time job if worse comes to worse.

thanks for the input.

Offline Warlord

• Posting Member
  • My battle with gynecomastia has begun.
No problem.  Good decision, BTW.  being as young as you are, I'd hate to see you go through all of the pain I (and many others here) have gone through from getting older and having gynecomastia.  Take care.

Offline ddave

just curious Warlord, how long have you been dealing with this problem? I am 42years old and first started developing breast when i was12. I was never obese, just " chubby." Went for consultation 2years ago. Was told excision with lypo would be ideal for someone like me, ie... dont smoke very seldom drink pretty healthy for an old man. Do weigh 180#s, which i think is about 10#s too much.Having gyno has a way of making you think why work out and take care of myself, i will still have breasts :( I am 5' 9". My goal in life is to wear a t- shirt in public. I should probably say that is my one selfish goal for me. Being a good person and father is imporant too :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024