Author Topic: Sports  (Read 6087 times)

Offline rdy2bhappy

• Posting Member
I am one month post-op and was curious to know when did others feel comfortable enough to start running again for runners?

I also play tennis so was wondering if the one month rule applies......

Thanks for your responses in advance guys

Offline Sonny

• Posting Member
I'm a few days post op. I've been told to wait one month before attempting sports and even then it will have to be within 'personal' limits. I guess the thinking is that everyone heals at different rates.

My strategy is to try and keep low on calories whilst not exercising. A few days post op I am going to go for outdoor walks. One to two weeks post op I will try the exercise bike, nothing too strenuous. Four weeks post op I will try getting back into lifting weights, starting off very light.

Offline xelnaga13

I am 45 days post op. I was able to begin heavy weight training 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I am also a runner; I still wear my compression vest when running. I wear the vest for healing reason and because it feels weird to run without it at the moment.

Offline Sonny

• Posting Member
I am 45 days post op. I was able to begin heavy weight training 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. I am also a runner; I still wear my compression vest when running. I wear the vest for healing reason and because it feels weird to run without it at the moment.

Hi,

Did you have lipo only or gland excision? Maybe both?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Patients vary, healing varies, operations vary.  There are no hard and fast rules for returning to sports.

I often request that sports be avoided for the first month.  I know Dr. Silverman allows earlier participation.

I think that as a general rule, if you return to sports and you develop pain and/or swelling, then back off a bit.  For my patients, I recommend wearing compression at night after participation in sports -- it will help with the swelling.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Sonny

• Posting Member
For my patients, I recommend wearing compression at night after participation in sports -- it will help with the swelling.

Dr Jacobs

That's a great tip, thank you.

Offline xelnaga13

Hi,

Did you have lipo only or gland excision? Maybe both?

I had both.

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
I am also a runner and a tennis player.
I played tennis exactly 5 weeks after surgery with the vest on. I didn't do any serve that day and I did not feel any pain.
Same for running, I started with a 6 mile run at an easy pace at 5 weeks with the vest on, it's good I had my surgery in winter :)
I stopped wearing the vest at 6 weeks as recommended by my PS. At 6 weeks I decided to give serving a try and although it felt tight for a few days it didn't hurt.
From 7 weeks on it felt just like before surgery.
I had lipo and gland excision BTW.

Offline neutralizemoobs420

• Posting Member
does anyone laundry their "compression garment" after they've sweated in it?  ???

or

do you not care and just still keep wearing the "compression garment" after?  :-\

I think I would actually laundry my own compression garment after sweating in it...
Anyone agree?  ???
Be the change you want to see in the world

Offline nitrox987

• Bronze Member
You definitely want to wash it.
I had two compression garments, one first stage and one second stage.
The second stage was the one I used for exercising and I was washing it immediately after. I used the first stage garment until the second stage was clean and dry.
Even during the first few weeks when I did not exercise I still washed my garments every few days or so.
Just make sure not to wash both at the same time so you can wear one at all times.

Offline rdy2bhappy

• Posting Member
Thanks all for the helpful responses and Nitrox987 I will be following your routine for sure but I may try to hit the tennis court and running at 5 weeks!

Thanks again

Offline Fatboyslim

• Bronze Member
    • Running For My Existence
As others have mentioned, it really depends on your surgery and your body's condition prior to surgery. Personally I was very concerned about downtime from the surgery. My doctor told me to take it easy but if it didn't hurt, try it.

4 days after surgery I walked 3 miles. 6 days after surgery I walked 5. 2 weeks and 2 days after surgery I ran 9.30 miles at a ~9:15 minute/mile pace. Again no pain. I wore my compression vest for the first week and then switched to VERY tight compression t-shirts (see below) that held everything in place fine.

Any ramifications? Absolutely none. I am faster which is no doubt partially due to me no longer concerned about my appearance. :) 

Offline neutralizemoobs420

• Posting Member
I was looking to buy a 2nd compression garment stage 2 for running
but they seem to be expensive. $99?

anyways

where did you buy this Adidas tight compression shirt?
this seems to be fine for me when I do my running because I just really plan to only wear it when I exercise and laundry it when I sweat in it after.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Although return to physical exercise is very individual and depends on the amount of surgery and many other factors, there is an underlying concern that everyone should be aware of.  That is, anytime you exercise, you will automatically increase your blood pressure.  And it is that increase in blood pressure that can produce more swelling and perhaps even open up a blood vessel that was sealed during surgery.  In essence, if you return to exercise too early, it is a crap shoot.  I have seen late hematomas (two weeks or more after surgery) which occurred directly after strenuous physical exercise.

So even though a few guys may seem to get away with it, I am very concerned about premature return to strenuous exercise.

Just consider:  your body was stressed during the surgery and is basically involved in healing a (surgical) injury.  Why stress your body more by doing exercise?  Most guys, even if you lay off for 4 weeks or more, will rapidly catch up within a few weeks after return to exercise.  Why take a chance in jeopardizing the results of an otherwise good surgical result???

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Every patient is a bit different. I would check with your surgeon ,in general at a this point you should be able to resume your activities.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024