Author Topic: Anyone else had onset in their 30s?  (Read 5418 times)

Offline ConcernedWife

Hi there. I've been reading this site avidly today but haven't yet found any references to young  adult onset. My husband has been diagnosed with gynocomastia with no known source (he's had blood tests/ urinalysis, and all hormone levels /liver function, etc. seem normal.) He's 31 years old and has NOT had this since puberty. In fact it's seemed to come on rather suddenly starting last month with sore nipples, and progressing rapidly to hard discs under both nipples, slight breast growth and puffiness with pain.

Our doctor has referred us to a general surgical consult. And while I know that may be a good option, I'm far more concerned with why this is happening. If he were on one of a long list of drugs, in puberty still or getting to be in his 50 s or 60s I wouldn't be nearly so worried.

Has anyone else out there been diagnosed with this in their 30s? I can't seem to find any cases on the Internet.  (oh and my husband is a little bit overweight, but not much. His BMI is in the "healthy" range.) Also, will a surgical consult be able to tell us anything beyond "how to cut it out"?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

A Concerned Wife

Ps. I should mention that I don't care one bit about the appearance. And he seems only mildly concerned-- just want to have him around for a good long time!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your suppositions about age and medications is correct. Obviously the condition can come on at any time but not commonly at your husbands age. Gynecomastia is not a disease, but it can be a symptom of disease. I would hope that his laboratory tests have been reviewed by an Endocrinologist and it bothers me that your husbands referral was to a general surgeon instead of a cosmetic surgeon.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
While your husband's scenario is rare, I have seen it with no apparent cause.  However, it would be wise to have a complete workup by an endocrinologist as well.  If he is cleared by both the endo and the family doc, then referral to a plastic surgeon would be the way to go.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline corvette09

• Bronze Member
You said that he had his hormones check, but did his doctor check his E2 levels. Most GP will only check total estrogen levels. This has nothing to do with gyno. The E2 levels need to be check. Good luck..

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
Hi there. I've been reading this site avidly today but haven't yet found any references to young  adult onset. My husband has been diagnosed with gynocomastia with no known source (he's had blood tests/ urinalysis, and all hormone levels /liver function, etc. seem normal.) He's 31 years old and has NOT had this since puberty. In fact it's seemed to come on rather suddenly starting last month with sore nipples, and progressing rapidly to hard discs under both nipples, slight breast growth and puffiness with pain.

Our doctor has referred us to a general surgical consult. And while I know that may be a good option, I'm far more concerned with why this is happening. If he were on one of a long list of drugs, in puberty still or getting to be in his 50 s or 60s I wouldn't be nearly so worried.

Has anyone else out there been diagnosed with this in their 30s? I can't seem to find any cases on the Internet.  (oh and my husband is a little bit overweight, but not much. His BMI is in the "healthy" range.) Also, will a surgical consult be able to tell us anything beyond "how to cut it out"?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

A Concerned Wife

Ps. I should mention that I don't care one bit about the appearance. And he seems only mildly concerned-- just want to have him around for a good long time!

This happened to me at 37.  Make sure they tested his "Bioavailable" Testosterone as well.  This is much more informative than just his "total" testosterone level.  Many physicians will just go by total however. It is the bioavailable that often correlate with presenting symptoms.

Offline SmoothSTL

• Posting Member
I am 30 and going through this as well. My FSH/LH came back normal, clean MRI of piuitary. Just waiting for my estridol to come back. testosterone was at 454. My Endo doc said i had hypogonadism with idiopathic reason(meaning no known reason yet). Since i now was diagnosed with gyno, they referred me back out to the Endo. I have a appt on monday. ready to find out whats causing this

Offline anon111

• Posting Member
i'm 28 years old., 5'11" and 175 lbs. i'm quite lean and have 10-12% body fat. this year i've learned that i have gynecomastia, and i've been unable to identify the root cause. ruled out things like testicular cancer, pituitary, etc.

hope your husband can get the answers and treatment he needs.

Offline ConcernedWife

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Looks like in this case it's probably a symptom of something else. They found a lump in his testicle and traces of blood in his urine, so obviously we're really concerned about testicular cancer.

We're seeing a urologist tomorrow, so I'm hoping we'll find out more soon.

Really appreciate the responses that include more things to test. It's good to know the right questions to ask. 

Offline manbreast

• Posting Member
my gyno started in mid 20's if you are ok with him with breast then by all means do not have the surgery he will regret the way he looks after it and they still may come back as my doc told me could happen he himself said he would not have them removed if he were to develpoe breast

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024