Author Topic: prescribed Lasix?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Thelake1944

• Posting Member
I posted yesterday that I was concerned my surgeon might prescribe me lasix for swelling. I'm 1 week post op. My surgeon prescribed me the lasix today and when I told him that many surgeons advise against it he told me that he gives it to all his patients. He told me to eat a bananna before I take it. He also said it would help prevent fluid build up. Should I not take it? I was thinking of asking my pcp.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I do not know your medical history but I would not routinely prescribe lasix for postoperative swelling.I also do not know of another surgeon who would utilize lasix for postoperative swelling.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Thelake1944

• Posting Member
Thank you for the response Dr. Pensler. I'm in good health, I just take 5mg of Lisinopril for bp. But my surgeon says he prescribes lasix to all his patients who have a good amount of swelling. My primary care doctor also advised against taking lasix. I'm just worried because my surgeon said that the lasix will help prevent fluid build up. Won't compression and massage eventually fix everything?

Joe

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I have never heard of prescribing Lasix for postoperative swelling.  It is a powerful diuretic that can drop your potassium level fairly quickly. That's why he said to eat a banana, a fruit high in potassium. But in my opinion, Lasix won't prevent fluid buildup in the chest after gyne surgery. You can develop a hematoma (blood) or a seroma (golden liquid part of blood) after surgery. It is uncommon, but if present that fluid would need to be drained out. Lasix wouldn't help that. In typical postop swelling, your tissue is sort of like a saturated sponge. Compression garments help minimize the degree of swelling. Lasix is not typically used to prevent or treat that.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Thelake1944

• Posting Member
Thank you for the response Dr. Pope. I decided to give the Lasix a try. I'm on a 20mg 1 once a day for 7 days regimen. I will keep you updated.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Swelling resolves over time.I have never heard that lasix hastens the resolution of postoperative swelling.The mechanism of action in postoperative swelling is different than the mechanism for swelling in heart disease.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024