Author Topic: Does the newer Ultrasonic liposuction same issues at older ultrasonic ?  (Read 3808 times)

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Hello.

Here is the situation I am facing. It seem like the general feeling with the contributing doctors here is that Ultrasonic liposuction has a lot of problems and traditional liposuction is a much safer method.

I know there were concerns with burns and some other complications which were unique to ultrasonic. I think that some doctors have actually used the machine at one point but abandoned it due to issues and problems they may have encountered.

For some strange reason,every doctor I encounter in my city seems to be sold on ultrasonic liposuction like its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Does anyone know if the newer machines have possible corrected some of the issues of the older first generation machines such as burning issues are concern.

I am trying to figure out why the doctors in my area love the ultrasonic machine so much whereas the doctors on this board have expressed concern about the ultrasonic.

Thanks.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You don't mention what type of doctors are recommending ultrasonic liposuction.  Are they plastic surgeons?  Many expensive machines are being sold to docs who are not plastic surgeons but are wanting to get into the plastic surgery field.  These newer technologies are not always better, but they are all certainly marketed heavily by their manufacturers and the doctors who purchase them.

My personal feeling is that it's not wise to heat up fat, either with laser energy or ultrasonic energy.  Ultrasonic liposuction became very popular when introduced in the 90's, but later it fell out of favor because of problems it created.  Most plastic surgeons that I know have abandoned ultrasonic lipo and have no interest in laser lipo for the same reason.  Power-assisted lipo on the other hand does not heat/melt fat; I think it's a good tool.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I have used ultrasonic liposuction and conventional liposuction in treating gynecomastia patients, both with success.  When the ultrasonic liposuction machine broke down, it was never replaced, and it has not hindered my practice in any way. 

I agree with Dr. Pope that these technologies are often marketed by non-plastic surgeons, who may not have the greatest technical skills when it comes to performing liposuction, and in many instances, the machine will not make up for that lack of skill.  Indeed, many problems arise from poorly executed procedures.  That said, most of the problems associated with ultrasonic liposuction were from excessive use--too much time, too much heat.  I rarely had these problems by limiting the amount of time the ultrasound was used.  If your surgeons prefer the ultrasonic liposuction machine, and they use it correctly, it should be okay--but don't let them tell you that it will be adequate to avoid excision in addition to the liposuction, since it will not be enough if you've got glandular tissue. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I have used ultrasonic liposuction and conventional liposuction in treating gynecomastia patients, both with success.  When the ultrasonic liposuction machine broke down, it was never replaced, and it has not hindered my practice in any way. 

I agree with Dr. Pope that these technologies are often marketed by non-plastic surgeons, who may not have the greatest technical skills when it comes to performing liposuction, and in many instances, the machine will not make up for that lack of skill.  Indeed, many problems arise from poorly executed procedures.  That said, most of the problems associated with ultrasonic liposuction were from excessive use--too much time, too much heat.  I rarely had these problems by limiting the amount of time the ultrasound was used.  If your surgeons prefer the ultrasonic liposuction machine, and they use it correctly, it should be okay--but don't let them tell you that it will be adequate to avoid excision in addition to the liposuction, since it will not be enough if you've got glandular tissue. 

Rick Silverman

I am not being told that the ultrasonic will avoid an excision of glandular tissue however I am being told that ultrasonic liposuction will help prevent the creator deformity.

Does this make sense? I am not asking as a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know if ultrasonic liposuction is a preventative method to a creator deformity as the doctor suggested

Thanks.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=26820.msg175942#msg175942 date=1355694417]
You don't mention what type of doctors are recommending ultrasonic liposuction.  Are they plastic surgeons?  Many expensive machines are being sold to docs who are not plastic surgeons but are wanting to get into the plastic surgery field.  These newer technologies are not always better, but they are all certainly marketed heavily by their manufacturers and the doctors who purchase them.

My personal feeling is that it's not wise to heat up fat, either with laser energy or ultrasonic energy.  Ultrasonic liposuction became very popular when introduced in the 90's, but later it fell out of favor because of problems it created.  Most plastic surgeons that I know have abandoned ultrasonic lipo and have no interest in laser lipo for the same reason.  Power-assisted lipo on the other hand does not heat/melt fat; I think it's a good tool.

Dr. Pope, MD
[/quote]

This is what makes the situation so strange. These doctors I am talking about are not dermatologist or dentist trying to be a plastic surgeon. The doctors appear to be heavy hitters in the plastic surgery profession not amateurs.

They have all the plastic board certifications recognized by the AMA, some went to ivy league schools,some have won castle Connolly awards and high ratings on websites. Some of the doctors are even recommended by this website. They have all the credentials that one would expect and they seem to be completely sold on the ultrasonic.

I am not sure if it is because they already spend money on the machine and do not want it to be for nothing or if they are real believers in this type of technology.

It seem that every single plastic surgeon I visit seem to be completely sold on ultrasonic. I don't think I have encountered one plastic surgeon in my area who uses traditional ultrasonic.

I am wondering if they are looking at a completely different ultrasonic machine when what was originally used or if there are other forces at work here.

Very strange situation I must say.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
I have no bias against ultrasonic liposuction when used properly.  BUT, it will not prevent a crater deformity if the procedure is not otherwise done properly.  And it will not alleviate the need for excision if dense glandular tissue is present.  If the surgeons you've seen like UAL, then they should use it, but there is no magic to it.

BTW, out of curiosity--where are you?

RS

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I have no bias against ultrasonic liposuction when used properly.  BUT, it will not prevent a crater deformity if the procedure is not otherwise done properly.  And it will not alleviate the need for excision if dense glandular tissue is present.  If the surgeons you've seen like UAL, then they should use it, but there is no magic to it.

BTW, out of curiosity--where are you?

RS

I am in South Florida area around Miami. I also occasional travel to Colorado where I have a part time residence.

Dr. Albin is the only recommended doctor by this website in Colorado and he uses Ultrasonic liposuction( although, to his credit he did say that he would be willing to try traditional liposuction if after a consolidation he felt that in my case he would achieve a good result.

The doctors in South Florida have been 100% emphatic that ultrasonic liposuction is the only way to go.

Maybe they all have stock options in the company that makes the ultrasonic liposuction machine, I don't
know.

If you know of a  plastic surgeon colleague in either the South Florida or Colorado area, I will gladly take the suggestion.

Thank you.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
As I said earlier, the type of suction device is less important than the person operating the device.  If your surgeon is careful, the potential problems associated with UAL will be avoided, as will the potential for a crater deformity.

RS

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I use UAL daily with "one of the newer machines." I have found it superior to any other modality for fat removal.One thing you should understand is that UAL is always combined with standard liposuction.
I think however you are missing the mark by your focus on the type of liposuction. Surgical instrumentation comes and goes but the key is the principles  that are being addressed by the surgeon.The breast is composed of glandular tissue and adipose tissue (fat). Successful surgery requires removal of the appropriate amount of glandular tissue and fat from the appropriate locations.The types of sutures and instruments vary from surgeon to surgeon.Each surgeon utilizes what works best in his/her hands.The experience and expertise of the surgeon is light years more important than the specific materials he will use for your case.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I use UAL daily with "one of the newer machines." I have found it superior to any other modality for fat removal.One thing you should understand is that UAL is always combined with standard liposuction.
I think however you are missing the mark by your focus on the type of liposuction. Surgical instrumentation comes and goes but the key is the principles  that are being addressed by the surgeon.The breast is composed of glandular tissue and adipose tissue (fat). Successful surgery requires removal of the appropriate amount of glandular tissue and fat from the appropriate locations.The types of sutures and instruments vary from surgeon to surgeon.Each surgeon utilizes what works best in his/her hands.The experience and expertise of the surgeon is light years more important than the specific materials he will use for your case.

I realize that ultrasonic does not replaced the need for skilled surgeon or the need to remove the gland.
The reason I started this threat is to try to understand the difference in opinion between the doctors who have expressed safety concerns about the Ultrasonic liposuction as far as prolonged burns, lingering pain, and other complications with the general method of heating up the fat vs the doctors who are strong supporters of ultrasonic.

On one hand, I was told that many surgeons and their peers were also abandoning the technology due to these complications vs being told that a doctor who previously used traditional liposuction that he would refuse to use anything else but ultrasonic dispite patient objections to the technology.

Have you ever used one of the  older ultrasonic machines or is your experience solely with the newer machine?

One possible explanation why there seem to be a disconnection is because perhaps they were early adopters and were using the first generation of the machine whereas perhaps you are using a 3rd or 4th generation of the machine.

Thanks.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have used the equipment since its inception. It is safe and effective. As the instrumentation has been modified its use has been expanded.If there was a "safety issue" for any medical equipment it would be subject to recall.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024