Author Topic: Seasonal depression  (Read 9934 times)

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
I agree with hammer.

Xelnaga13, you're so right about feeling sad being a natural part of life, so as long as there's a reason as to why you feel blue at any particular moment then you should allow it to happen and not try and drown it out with either drugs (RX or otherwise) or booze. In my case, I was feeling anxiety and sometimes depression, during certain moments, and I'm talking severe anxiety, without there really being any threat. I tried for years to just deal with it, but after realizing that I was getting worse and the issue was interfering with life, I decided to get help. I then realized that I was suffering from social anxiety, which was probably brought on from a chemical imbalance in my brain after years of meth use; ironically all this started happening after I stopped doing drugs and about 2 years after I quit smoking.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have found a way to continue growing on this journey called life.

And, I know it's hard but don't compare yourself to others (I do it, too) because in the end, just like hammer wrote, it won't matter what your job is or how much money you have because you can't take those things with you.

I continually check this forum, but sometimes it takes me a week or so, which is why I haven't written back until now.

BTW, Happy Halloween! ;D 

Offline xelnaga13

Happy Halloween to you as well. Most towns in the east coast postponed their activities until Nov 7th because of the hurricane.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
I hope your area was missed by Sandy.  :)

Offline xelnaga13

I hope your area was missed by Sandy.  :)

Living about 45 mins north of philly, we suffered mainly damage from downed trees. However, my aunt/uncle own a house near seaside... and still to this day have no been allowed on the island to see their home ( or what's left of it).

It's a bit upsetting to see how our collective tolerance for tragedy has grown. It takes greater numbers of deaths and destruction to get the same shock value. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It is not just now That people seem hardened to tragedy. When I was a boy, Lots of households had a little plackard in their front window. You had a silver star for each person of your family serving in the military. If you had family members that had died in the service you had a gold star for each one. We all knew what the stars meant but no one talked about it. I was a child in WWII.

Sometimes when people clam up it is because talking about something hurts too much.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
and still to this day have no been allowed on the island to see their home ( or what's left of it).

That must be really hard, the not knowing part.

I think Paa_Paw has a point about people not wanting to talk about tragedies and the like because it does cause emotional trauma. And then there are some who just don't know what to say or do in circumstances like that or feel as though they're helpless or aren't helping the situation by talking about it, which often has the opposite effect.

In any case, how are you feeling, xelnaga13, this month? I always get somewhat blue during the holidays because they always trigger memories of the past. Isn't it funny? My mind will always hone in on my bad past experiences and ignore the good ones. But I'm working on it! At least I'm aware that my thought patterns are doing this, so that's half the battle.

Also, sorry for my late replies, I usually check in on this forum every week or so. I hope you and Paa_Paw have a good Turkey Day tomorrow.

Offline xelnaga13

and still to this day have no been allowed on the island to see their home ( or what's left of it).

That must be really hard, the not knowing part.

I think Paa_Paw has a point about people not wanting to talk about tragedies and the like because it does cause emotional trauma. And then there are some who just don't know what to say or do in circumstances like that or feel as though they're helpless or aren't helping the situation by talking about it, which often has the opposite effect.

In any case, how are you feeling, xelnaga13, this month? I always get somewhat blue during the holidays because they always trigger memories of the past. Isn't it funny? My mind will always hone in on my bad past experiences and ignore the good ones. But I'm working on it! At least I'm aware that my thought patterns are doing this, so that's half the battle.

Also, sorry for my late replies, I usually check in on this forum every week or so. I hope you and Paa_Paw have a good Turkey Day tomorrow.

Thanks for asking.

My immediate family is a work in progress. I used to live a very selfish and destructive life style, and continue to live in wake of it. Most of the relationships arent where Id like them to be, however Im grateful that we arent completely cut off like some families.

This year is also a bit different because it's the first holiday I wont be indulging in booze. I come from a family of "social" drinkers, so it's always a big part of get togethers.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
My immediate family is a work in progress. I used to live a very selfish and destructive life style, and continue to live in wake of it. Most of the relationships arent where Id like them to be, however Im grateful that we arent completely cut off like some families.

Well, relationships of any kind, except for the ones that don't matter, are always work (to some degree). And as long as the positive out weigh the negative then those relationships are worth having, so keep on trying. Just don't push it and certainly don't let them take advantage of you. Sometimes we have a tendency to try and "make things right" with certain people and end-up going too far to the other side and windup being emotionally/financially/physically abused by them, so don't fall into that trap.

I know what you mean about families that become estranged since mine is exactly that. I haven't spoken to my father for a long time -- and to be frank, I don't even know if he's still alive. My mom passed away in 2000 and I don't speak to my half-brothers, either, and I have know idea where the one cousin I had is. Clearly, I came from an extremely dysfunctional group of people.

Luckily, I have extended family in friends, but that circle is small.

This year is also a bit different because it's the first holiday I wont be indulging in booze. I come from a family of "social" drinkers, so it's always a big part of get togethers.

How did it go? I hope things went well.

Offline xelnaga13

Thanksgiving went very well. I was kind of looking forward to seeing who would get drunk and embarrass themselves but no one did. It appears that since I quit being the drunkest person at family get togethers, no one wants to risk taking on that role lol.

Offline Hi_Top_Guy

• Silver Member
That's great news, Xelnaga13!  ;D

Have a great Christmas and New Year, too.

Offline Edwin

• Posting Member
Hi Xelnaga,
Stick with your workout plans and eat right and share your problems with your friends and family members. Try not to worry, accept the things you cannot change and avoid stimulants.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
agree.  a friend of mine had an ivy degree and spent a fair while as a temp before he got anywhere, but he had a good attitude, and attitude is usually everything. 

on the SAD topic, there's balance in the universe.  it's spring that used to get me down and fall that cheered me up.  it may have had to do with moving a lot as a kid and losing friends at the end of school year.  plus i kind of liked cooler weather better.  weird. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024