Author Topic: iron and vitamin C  (Read 4028 times)

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
hi all,
is it ok to take vitamin C and Iron in the weeks BEFORE surgery?(should i stop either of them a few days before?)
i'm low in both of these.
cheers

Offline john7heaven

• Posting Member
Vitamin C in sensible doses is harmless, however I would caution taking Iron in significant doses, unless you really need it?

I think (personally), that supplements are great, until they're taken in levels that make a real difference - at which point we have to ask ourselves, are these supplements anymore, or actually medical interventions , that are nudging drug like status in their usage?

I do hear Vitaminc C dosing pre-op (maybe a few weeks), would be an option.

Wouldn't it be best to get a blood test a month before the operation, check your Iron accurately, and then take a sensible dose of Iron supplment before hand?

Good luck!

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
If you are anemic, it may be desirable to continue with iron. The only problem is that iron supplements can constipate you. This in conjunction with narcotics for post op pain may cause a serious problem. You may want to have something like an ExLax ready postoperatively in case you have a problem.

Vit C as long as it is not mega doses is acceptable. It will not thin your blood and may help with wound healing.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
thanks doc. great answer.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Men, unlike menstruating women, do not have slow chronic blood loss, where iron in the blood is lost and must be replaced.  Hence, if you eat a balanced diet, you should have sufficient iron.  Only a blood test for iron can tell for sure.  Taking additional iron can be harmful.

Re Vitamin C.  "Proper doses" of vitamin C have never been established, although usually 1000 mg a day is thought to be more than sufficient for the average adult.  If you take too much vit C, much of it will be just lost in the urine.  Taking  zinc 50mg daily can help with the vitamin C as well as additional protein to strengthen healing after surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
thanks doc.another great answer!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I agree with Dr. Jacobs - you really can't take too much Vitamin C.  As it's water soluble, you'll just excrete the excess.  You need to avoid Vitamin E prior to surgery though; it's been implicated in postoperative bleeding.  And as was stated earlier, most men don't need iron supplements, as we don't bleed monthly.  ;)

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024