Author Topic: Lista experience  (Read 5219 times)

Offline Geoffram

• Posting Member
I've just returned from Dr Lista's Plastic Surgery Clinic for my manboobelectomy. Here's some notes:

- I had to commute from Montreal for the consult and the surgery. I took the train which was fast and convenient, but doing it for the consult was a bit of a drag - basically the consultation was a less-than-five-minutes meeting where he said "yep, it's gynecomastia" and then told me about the procedure, which I already knew about from this forum.

- Bedside manner isn't Lista's thing - he's good at what he does and has some great and friendly staff, but at the end of the day he's a busy man and leaves the pleasant chitchat to his staff (who do it well). On the table, the anesthesiologist did the talking until I was under and all I saw of Lista was about two minutes pre-op so he could warn me not to expect perfect results.

- His staff are capable and basically handle the process leading up to the surgery for you. What you will need to do is get some bloodwork and a general physical from a GP at least two weeks before the surgery date. The length of time between the consult and the surgery was six weeks, but this was right after the Christmas holidays so I expect they were unusually backed-up. They say it is normally four weeks.

- There are a number of unusual verbotens in the two weeks pre-surgery: no vitamins (?), no hot tubs, no smoking (of course) but alcohol is allowed. I gather the vitamins and hot tubs thing has to do with those having a blood-thinning effect.

- Post-surgery I was groggy from the anesthetic, but my head cleared quickly. My post-op night was spent in Heritage House (where I am now); it's an old folks home that takes in patients who have no family or friends in Toronto, but I'm told they no longer do that for Lista - I'm one of their last clients. I gather this is just a capacity thing and I that the clinic will find another short-term care provider.

- I'm now two hours after waking up. My head is clear and my chest is sore, but not unbearably (think an intense workout). I expect that I'll need to take a painkiller tonight, though I'd prefer to limit my drug intake. I have a post-op meeting tomorrow morning and a follow-up early next week. You are encouraged to stay completely inactive (in bed, i.e.) for the first day and then to take it very easy and remain at home for the week after.

- The procedure was liposuction and glandular excision through small incisions on the side of each chest under the arms. From what I understand the incisions are each about 3 mm long and are very un-noticable post-op.

- Price was $5000, including consult fees. Heritage House and post-op drugs are extra, and of course commuting costs for me. If the results are good (I haven't taken the compression vest off yet), I'd easily pay twice that.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Congrats on your manboobelectomy!

Thanks for sharing...  :)

I had to commute from Montreal for the consult and the surgery. I took the train which was fast and convenient, but doing it for the consult was a bit of a drag - basically the consultation was a less-than-five-minutes meeting where he said "yep, it's gynecomastia" and then told me about the procedure, which I already knew about from this forum.

You would think in 'this' the Internet/Electronic age, more PS's would have Video Consultations available for out-of-town patients. Or even in-town patients for that matter...

Price was $5000, including consult fees.I'd easily pay twice that.

I second that!  ;) 

I got very lucky with $1280 (taxes in)...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
congradulations,keep us posted on your results.Also if you have any questions just ask,i to am a patient of Lista.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I just sent Dr. Lista an email regarding 'Video Consultations'.

Here is what I wrote...

"Dr. Lista...

Do you think that you will, in the future, have 'video' consultations (via the Internet) for Gynecomastia patients? Or, is it a necessity for you to examine the patient 'in person'?

Video conferencing would be very convenient for your Out-Of-Town patients...

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks for your time and have a Great Day!
"

If Dr. Lista responds, I'll let you know what he says...

Video Conferencing would be great for Out-Of-Towners. It would save considerable time and money!

GB

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
Congrats on your manboobelectomy!

Thanks for sharing...  :)

I had to commute from Montreal for the consult and the surgery. I took the train which was fast and convenient, but doing it for the consult was a bit of a drag - basically the consultation was a less-than-five-minutes meeting where he said "yep, it's gynecomastia" and then told me about the procedure, which I already knew about from this forum.

You would think in 'this' the Internet/Electronic age, more PS's would have Video Consultations available for out-of-town patients. Or even in-town patients for that matter...

Price was $5000, including consult fees.I'd easily pay twice that.

I second that!  ;) 

I got very lucky with $1280 (taxes in)...

GB

Yes, hahaha, congrats on the manboobelectomy!  :D
Good rundown on your experience, too.

Hey Grandpa, come on now... you know very well that the surgeons wouldn't want to 'mess' with their 'consult fees'! LOL Anything for them to keep the flow nice and green!  ;)

But yeah, I agree... I'd probably pay up to 20,000 or maybe more since it's absolutely priceless in essence (if I could get that much scrill together.) Luckily I got it done for about $1500 as well. Just wish that more surgeons weren't so 'greedy' with an absolutely necessary medical operation. Hopefully one day, the insurance companies wise up and decide to help those who aren't as fortunate. Until then, it's up to the surgeons and their 'good hearts'... haha.  8)
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

Offline Geoffram

• Posting Member
I suspect that the mandatory in-person consult may be required by law - the fee is taken out of the total cost of the surgery anyway, so unless they get a lot of window-shoppers it isn't making them much money.

Rundown of the past 24-or-so hours: been keeping quiet and staying in my room, though I get the impression that the orders to remain inactive for a week are for the more serious lipo surgeries. I feel no pain at all and haven't taken any of the pain killers, just the antibiotics and anti-inflamatories, but there is considerable tenderness across the chest and I imagine that if I'd had major lipo on my stomach I might be inclined to stay in bed for a few days.

Got a quick call from Dr Lista last night (around 8pm) and he told me there'd be no next-day follow-up meeting (just early next week), but he gave me directions for the next couple of days. Slept fine, but by the end of the night I was tired of being on my back - sleeping on my chest or side was not an option due to the tenderness.

Took my vest and bandages off and showered this morning. There's more redness and bruising than I'd seen in some one day post-op pictures on the forum, but the contour is there (I have pecs!) and it looks wonderful. Very gently washed up and put on some normal clothes over my vest, which is basically invisible except for the bumps from the velcro straps on the shoulders. Oh well.

Now that I've seen myself without the vest, I'm much more confident about using my arms. Basically all I have to worry about is to avoid popping my stitches, which won't be a problem in a few days anyway. All told, I'm thrilled with the results so far and feel like it was $5 000 well spent. Maybe there are cheaper options that are just as good, but I'd encourage anyone who's considering Dr Lista to go for it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:34:49 AM by hamiltongs »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

so unless they get a lot of window-shoppers it isn't making them much money.

Think about it...  anyone serious enough to have a video consult with the Doc, would probably not back out of the surgery itself.

If Dr. Lista is concerned about payment for a VC, then he could set up a Paypal account where as the perspective patient could zap a 'C' note over to him just prior to the video consult. Or, the patient could pay by C.C. just prior to the econsult.  ;)

All told, I'm thrilled with the results so far and feel like it was $5 000 well spent. Maybe there are cheaper options that are just as good, but I'd encourage anyone who's considering Dr Lista to go for it.

Congrats dude...  Glad to hear that your surgery went well!

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I just sent Dr. Lista an email regarding 'Video Consultations'.

If Dr. Lista responds, I'll let you know what he says...

GB

No reply yet...   :-\

GB

Offline marx

• Bronze Member
Dr. Lista was professional and a really nice guy.  I thought his bedside manner was fine.  I don't understand why his technique isn't covered by OHIP like Fielding's is.  Big difference for me was I didn't like the idea of a potential scar around my nipples with Fielding, so I went with Lista's PAL technique instead.  I can't say that the scars are invisible, but they are discrete.  I'm sure if someone was really paranoid, it'd take very little make up to blend the scars into the skin colour.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Dr. Lista was professional and a really nice guy.  I thought his bedside manner was fine.  I don't understand why his technique isn't covered by OHIP like Fielding's is.

Dr. Lista's procedure is not covered by OHIP because it is Lipo only. Liposuction is considered a 'cosmetic' procedure and therefore OHIP will not pay out.

However, when Dr. Fielding does excision of the gland, which in most cases is necessary, OHIP pays for that, and all hospital costs. Liposuction cannot remove mammary gland. That is why excision is necessary.

GB

Offline matty

• Bronze Member
Lista's technique is NOT lipo only. He uses a "tool" to cut out the gland from the lipo spot.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024