Author Topic: Local or General Anasthesia?  (Read 5456 times)

Offline SW_ON_Huge_Moobs

• Posting Member
The ONLY thing that scares me about this is having to go under General Anasthesia as I have never done that and some small percentage of people die with that.

Did anyone have JCF extract a large amout of gland under Local Anasthesia or at least have that as an option?

I would not be sqeamish and would actually love to SEE them GO AWAY for good.  Has anyone on here gone with Local Anasthesia for a severe or near severe gladular case?

Offline SW_ON_Huge_Moobs

• Posting Member
I looked around the archives a little more (this is keeping me up WAY too late tonight) and I guess what I am really asking about is there an option for Local Anasthesia WITH Sedation as opposed to a full General Anasthesia.

Has anyone heard JCF offer Local Anasthesia WITH Sedation?

Some of the extreme cases on the site with a lot of pictures seem to go this route like this one (graphic pics warning):

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/male_breast/shortscar_male_mastopexy.html

Offline toronto

• Silver Member
  • Gyne Free since April 27, 2005
http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=7;action=display;num=1083700650

that guy had local about a year ago with Fielding,i just had surgery last week, local was never discussed or offered to me..and i figured since OHIP covers it, i'd rather be passed out..blink and it's done..

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
The ONLY thing that scares me about this is having to go under General Anasthesia as I have never done that and some small percentage of people die with that.

No dissing inteneded here Dude but people have died while crossing the street, riding in a car, flying in a plane, playing hockey, even just watching hockey someone had died. Would you 'not' do those things as there has been a small percentage of people who have died from doing them? It has been statistically proven that it is safer to fly in an airplane than it is to drive your car to the corner store!

If you are in good health, the cances of you kicking the bucket while under a general are slim to none. JCF and his team will monitor your vital signs through the entire proceedure. There is no reason to be paranoid... ;)

John.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 05:16:03 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Did anyone have JCF extract a large amout of gland under Local Anasthesia or at least have that as an option?

Check out this thread....

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=7;action=display;num=1083700650;start=0#0

Excision and Lipo under a local by JCF... ;)

John.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 05:31:27 AM by Bambu »

Offline SW_ON_Huge_Moobs

• Posting Member

No dissing inteneded here Dude but people have died while crossing the street, riding in a car, flying in a plane, playing hockey, even just watching hockey someone had died. Would you 'not' do those things as there has been a small percentage of people who have died from doing them? It has been statistically proven that it is safer to fly in an airplane than it is to drive your car to the corner store!

If you are in good health, the cances of you kicking the bucket while under a general are slim to none. JCF and his team will monitor your vital signs through the entire proceedure. There is no reason to be paranoid... ;)

John.

Please understand it is a vadid concern for someone who has never been under and I realize the stats are pretty good in its favor but it is still a valid question (too bad there isn't a sticky on here with a FAQ about General Anasthesia).  You only fear what you don't understand and I am trying to learn and asking questions is my way of doing that.

I asked the lady at JCF's office today and it sounds likes it probably would be general and I can ask the doctor all about it at the consultation and do more research on my own.  

My recollection is the big chance of problems arrising comes from an allergy to something in the Anasthesia mix and if they can determine that there are no issues with that ahead of time I am probably cool with it (had a bad experience with penecillin once so I am always concerned about allergic reactions).

Thanks for the encouragement John, there probably way more statistical risk in just driving up to see a Blue Jays game (but I will still ask).

Offline anonymous-one

• Posting Member
SW_ON_Huge_Moobs ,

I totally understand your concern because I have the same issue with going forth and booking this operation.
I would much rather be awake and sedated instead of being put under and yes there is risk involved. I spoke to a PS and because I have a mild/minor he said he would be willing to carry out the operation while I am awake.  

Offline SW_ON_Huge_Moobs

• Posting Member
SW_ON_Huge_Moobs ,

I totally understand your concern because I have the same issue with going forth and booking this operation.
I would much rather be awake and sedated instead of being put under and yes there is risk involved. I spoke to a PS and because I have a mild/minor he said he would be willing to carry out the operation while I am awake.  

Interesting post, thanks!  Did he explian WHY they want to put people under for more advanced cases?

I am trying to figure our if it is for the patient's benefit (more chance of pain coming through in a more extensive op or the patient would have to feel/hear more tugging and cutting) or for him so he dosen't have to deal with an awake patient?

Did he explain the rationale?

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member

I would not be sqeamish and would actually love to SEE them GO AWAY for good.  Has anyone on here gone with Local Anasthesia for a severe or near severe gladular case?
Hey i know its 2012 now and you guys were talking in 2005 however i just found this forum and i am in the same situation as you are. As it has been 7 years you probably had your surgery under local anasthesia right? can you tell me how it went?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024