Author Topic: Cancelled surgery with Haugrud. Going with Fielding.  (Read 5519 times)

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
I had initially planned to have my surgery with Dr. Haugrud in Calgary. It's free for Albertans. However, as the months went on, I felt increasingly uncomfortable with his procedures. 1) Haugrud does excision only, without ANY lipo. 2) Haugrud doesn't require patients to wear compression vests. He uses drains instead. 3) Despite him being so heavily booked with gynecomastia surgeries, there aren't many forum users that can attest to his work, so it was just one big question mark for me. 4) Fielding has a great reputation, and after my consultation, I felt I was in good hands.

I'm having my surgery within a month's time. I'm going to have to pony up approximately $2000 for this (plus travel expenses), but, I feel the piece of mind is worth the tradeoff. It's almost hard to believe this is actually happening.

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
You sound a bit like me.  I was set on having a PS in Newport Beach do my surgery because he said all the right things in the consultation.  However, I went with Fielding myself because of the reputation.  I think we are both going to be pleased.  Good luck.  When are you going in?  I go in on September 23.

Offline radio

• Bronze Member

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
Cool!  I dubs for the first surgery!  I want him fresh for the day.  LOL 

Just kidding of course.  I keep thinking about things to worry about each day.  I was told by other PS to stop using aspirin products two weeks before.  There was nothing about that on the pre-op sheet of rules Leslie gave me.  I quit anyway but what about vitamins?  Guess I better call her tomorrow.   Are you spending the night in the hospital since you are from out of town.  I have decided to stay overnight just in case anything goes wrong (I told you I have been finding things to worry about each day :-)

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
Radio,
I was reading your concerns about the vest on another thread and I have the same concerns.  I added $50 to the total that I sent Dr. Fielding and Leslie is ordering me a second vest for the same reasons you are concerned about.  I don't want to walk around with a bloody, smelly vest for three weeks.  According to Leslie (I will check with the doc when I see him Wednesday morning) the original vest has to remain on for the first week.  YUCK  But after the first week I can change it as I desire.  It is worth it for me to purchase the second vest.

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
I'd feel comfortable spending the night in the hospital. How do I arrange that? Is that just something that comes up when you go there the day of, or do you have to arrange it.

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
Check with Leslie but I was told by the doc and Leslie that the hospital fee I pay is for a 24 hour stay.  Since I am coming from out of town (Montreal) Leslie just assumed that I would be spending the night there. 

Now keep in mind that I am paying for the entire procedure out of my pocket because I have no Canadian health insurance.  I am not sure if I remember correctly but my cost is more than double what you are paying.  I am not sure how you are paying for the hospital if you have Canadian health insurance.  Never the less, I would call Leslie and ask her if the hospital fee (regardless of who pays - you or the government) includes Wednesday stay.  Tell her you would prefer spending the first night there if it is included in your price because you are from out of town.

I ended up booking a hotel at the Sheraton.  No such compassionate rate as indicated in the flier they sent me, however.  It is way overpriced for a 3 star hotel ($140 per night) but the friend who is coming with me wants to be near the hospital and the Lake.  LOL  Oh well, if he is willing to accompany me on this journey, I guess I can see that he gets his way.  I will only be staying there Tuesday and Thurs since I will be in the hospital on Wednesday.  I was hoping to be downtown though.  Have you found a hotel yet? 

Offline canadian1987

• Posting Member
I had my surgery on Wednesday, September 9th at St. Joseph's. I did stay overnight. The staff at the hospital were perfect. I waited about 2 hours in the waiting room and was then led to the operating room. It was a cool atmosphere they had music playing and Dr. Fielding drew permanent marker on me. They put me right to sleep - Woke up and actually didn't feel sick. They gave me something to keep me from getting sick as to what the anesthesiologist told me before he put me under.

However because I stayed over night, OHIP covers a $1,089 room rate per day. So if you are out of town staying overnight in the hospital you may want to be aware of this.

I am doing ok today... no major swelling or bruising. It isn't that itchy yet. I am just staying in bed and taking perks about every 7 hours. Will be taking the vest off next Thursday to see the early results.

I stayed at the sheraton - 100 a night use code: stjoespat

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
Hey Canadian 1987,
How are you doing now that it is two days after your surgery?  Thanks for the tip on the hotel.  I tried to book it online with that code but it wouldn't go through.  I called and made the reservation and got the $100 rate after I read the code to her.  Thanks for the info.  Well, you're one day closer to your unveiling.  Good luck!

Offline canadian1987

• Posting Member
So far so good. No signs of much swelling - the Dr. said everything went pretty well. I am not as sore as I thought I was going to be. I've been in bed pretty well all day and will be in bed till I go to class Monday morning for a few hours. I will take the foam padding off on Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I am scared to see the results lol - I am just surprised everything seems to be going so well... It is def. getting easier to move each day. Any other questions let me know I would be happy to answer them.

I am also taking perks about every 8 hours to help with pain.

Offline Travelbum

• Posting Member
Just a couple of questions:

Do you have to sleep on your back?  That is going to be a tough one for me since I sleep like a rotisserie (rolling over and over all night) LOL

Did Fielding give you the prescription for pain?  I have read that he gives Tylenol 3 and I was told not to take Tylenol by another doctor because of a preexisting condition.  I suppose I should mention that or do you think he will automatically prescribe something else?

I am slightly concerned about leaving that vest on 24/7.  I once had a cast on my foot and in the middle of the night I started to freak out because I am so claustrophobic that the cast was too constrictive.  I had to get it off.  I have about 8-10  anti anxiety pills in my stach so I don't think I will bother mentioning that to Fielding but I am thinking about "what if"  LOL (and I though gyno was my biggest problem LOL)

Your account of the post op makes me feel a lot better now that my due date is getting closer.  LOL

Thanks for your help!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I have about 8-10  anti anxiety pills in my stach so I don't think I will bother mentioning that to Fielding but I am thinking about "what if".

Yeah dude...  what if is right.   :o :o :o

You need to inform JCF of all the meds that you are on...  This is serious stuff here!

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline canadian1987

• Posting Member
I also sleep on my side - I have never ever slept on my back before but surprisingly I did not have too many problems adjusting. I basically with each day passing have tried putting my head to one side almost as if fooling myself. I am just 100% glad I stayed in the hospital overnight. I saw Dr. F. the next morning and was under constant care. I ended up getting a fever that night - they check your temperature and blood pressure every few hours. They were there to monitor it and assist in anyway. I also got TV for the night and it was easier for me to sleep as I had a semi-private room (another bed) but luckily it was empty the entire time. So I had a room all to myself with the AC on a nice low temperature, closed the door, turned the lights off and that put me right to sleep and TV to keep my company. When taking the meds it feels as if you sleep for hours but in reality it's only like 20 minutes and your up for a bit so TV keeps you occupied.

Yes Dr. F gives you the prescription for pain. I am taking perks not Tylenol 3 - not too sure the difference - if you are on ANY meds I would recommend you tell them this upfront.

As for the vest, I also have claustrophobic issues... I never thought of this beforehand but yes it is TIGHT - it is worst in the mornings because (and I am just guessing) you breath so lightly during the night you wake up and your chest feels as if it heavy because it hasn't received enough O2. The nurse give me this tube thing with balls in it, and the objective is to get all three balls up in the tube therefore showing you are breathing enough O2 for your lungs. I still do this a few times a day to ensure I am breathing the required amount for the lungs.

SO FAR - no itching - maybe that is because of the foam pads are still there. I see an increased in flexibility - and it's only 4 days post-op. Today I had a little sponge bath, washed the hair etc.

I would recommend staying in for a few days. I haven't left my house since I got home Thursday - the first day will be to school on Monday for 3 hours then back home in bed. I am very  nervous to see the results beneath the foam. Just a few more days. Dr. F. recommended I also wear the vest for at least 6 weeks - i had a lot of weight loss - so we are being cautious of extra skin.

Also for the sheraton hotel, it is like 3 feet from a highway so you most likely would want a view of facing the lake - we had room 459 and it was great. We also used the hot tube the night before and the gym located on the first floor.

I am now spacing my perks out a bit more - i took 2 when waking up and just took two before i go to bed - the pain is going down... no signs of swelling or bruising from what i can see.

Any more questions feel free!!

Just a couple of questions:

Do you have to sleep on your back?  That is going to be a tough one for me since I sleep like a rotisserie (rolling over and over all night) LOL

Did Fielding give you the prescription for pain?  I have read that he gives Tylenol 3 and I was told not to take Tylenol by another doctor because of a preexisting condition.  I suppose I should mention that or do you think he will automatically prescribe something else?

I am slightly concerned about leaving that vest on 24/7.  I once had a cast on my foot and in the middle of the night I started to freak out because I am so claustrophobic that the cast was too constrictive.  I had to get it off.  I have about 8-10  anti anxiety pills in my stach so I don't think I will bother mentioning that to Fielding but I am thinking about "what if"  LOL (and I though gyno was my biggest problem LOL)

Your account of the post op makes me feel a lot better now that my due date is getting closer.  LOL

Thanks for your help!

Offline canadian1987

• Posting Member
I'd feel comfortable spending the night in the hospital. How do I arrange that? Is that just something that comes up when you go there the day of, or do you have to arrange it.

If you are staying overnight I would check with Dr. F's office or the hospital - OHIP (our provincial health care) pay's for the room rate which was just over 1,000 bucks. I believe this was the accommodations for the night. I would check into it so it is not a surprise for you...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
If you are staying overnight I would check with Dr. F's office or the hospital - OHIP pays for the room rate which was just over 1,000 bucks. I believe this was the accommodations for the night. I would check into it so it is not a surprise for you...

A G-Note for one nights stay in hospital?  Naw dude , that can't be right....  ???

Did you see it written down somewhere? Or did one of the hospital staffers tell you this?

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024