Author Topic: Haugrud in Calgary... anyone recently??  (Read 7023 times)

Offline seesaw

• Posting Member
Hi all, longtime lurker and sufferer of gyne.

Past couple years I've found this site and it has given me a different look on things.  I worked up enough courage to go in for a consult with Haugrud (after a 9 month wait for the consult) in Calgary.  He seems like a great guy, very knowledgeable and he gets great reviews on other doctor sites for other plastic surgeries as well.  Just haven't heard of anyone recently going for the gynecomastia surgery from him, or even people who have had it years ago and how they're doing now.

I'm super nervous about all of this and am waiting for the phone call to tell me when I can expect my surgery (I had my consult in October and the wait I was told was usually 8-9 months).

His method is to use drains which get removed after a week.  He also did comment on how some people like to use a compression garment and he didn't discourage against that.

If anyone has any recent comments on Haugrud, or old ones for that matter I'd love to hear them.  I'm still not convinced I want to go through with this... it will be very hard to get this done with my occupation and getting time off etc.. it will raise a lot of flags I don't want raised for the obvious reasons.

Thanks to any and all,

SeeSaw

Offline na2

• Posting Member
I'm on the waiting list after consultation earlier this year. 

I noticed many people haven't posted either.  He did show me some pictures, but they were of someone only 1 week post op...They seemed like okay results especially since the person was kind of overweight, but I hope if I go with him mine would be better.  I would consider my case more severe than average, and although I am not ripped, I dont think Im super overweight either.

The wait is horrible...took almost a year to get a consult and now its been almost 5 waiting for surgery...
Because of the wait I am considering looking for another surgeon and just paying out of pocket...but at the same time, I dont know how much longer the wait would be.  When considering the flight for a consult, and then again for the surgery and paying for the surgery, the hotel etc. it gets expensive when comparing it to Haugrud covering it under AHC.

He told me that I could wear a compression garment if I wanted as well.  He didn't make it seem mandatory to get good results, more as an extra option, which I would probably take.

DrBermant

I'm on the waiting list after consultation earlier this year. 

I noticed many people haven't posted either.  He did show me some pictures, but they were of someone only 1 week post op...They seemed like okay results especially since the person was kind of overweight, but I hope if I go with him mine would be better.  I would consider my case more severe than average, and although I am not ripped, I dont think Im super overweight either.

The wait is horrible...took almost a year to get a consult and now its been almost 5 waiting for surgery...
Because of the wait I am considering looking for another surgeon and just paying out of pocket...but at the same time, I dont know how much longer the wait would be.  When considering the flight for a consult, and then again for the surgery and paying for the surgery, the hotel etc. it gets expensive when comparing it to Haugrud covering it under AHC.

That is why my Gynecomastia Patients from Canada and other traveling a significant distance typically start with our Preliminary Remote Discussion to minimize travel to Virginia.

Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery can be an important factor. But what the results look like can also factor in. Costs for revision surgery can be much more expensive. That is why surgeon selection can be important money saving factor. Checking many before and after surgery pictures is one valuable tool to evaluate what a doctor has to offer.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline seesaw

• Posting Member
got the call.. booked for surgery Aug 17th with haugrud in Calgary

they did call me once in march as well on the "short list", but by the time I called back someone had snatched up the booking already.

my consult was in mid october 2009, so nearly 10 months in total, and i waited 8 or 9 months to get the consult too

I've been looking around online for places to get a compression vest to use, a lot of people speak highly of the "design veronique" brand (here's a link to one of them: http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/642.html) , and there is a distributor in Vancouver.. I'm curious what other people who have been given the vests by their surgeons, which brands were they given??  Haugrud does use the drains which get removed after 1 week...  things are slowly coming together.  I miraculously was able to shift around some vacation time to get 2 weeks off work.. just wish this was during colder climate times, going to be harder to hide a couple of drains and pouches, then a compression vest with summer clothes!

Offline na2

• Posting Member
got the call.. booked for surgery Aug 17th with haugrud in Calgary

they did call me once in march as well on the "short list", but by the time I called back someone had snatched up the booking already.

my consult was in mid october 2009, so nearly 10 months in total, and i waited 8 or 9 months to get the consult too

I've been looking around online for places to get a compression vest to use, a lot of people speak highly of the "design veronique" brand (here's a link to one of them: http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/642.html) , and there is a distributor in Vancouver.. I'm curious what other people who have been given the vests by their surgeons, which brands were they given??  Haugrud does use the drains which get removed after 1 week...  things are slowly coming together.  I miraculously was able to shift around some vacation time to get 2 weeks off work.. just wish this was during colder climate times, going to be harder to hide a couple of drains and pouches, then a compression vest with summer clothes!

awesome! mind posting up your experience and how everything goes?  or pm me about it?  there isn't much info on haugrud on this site.  i'm on the short list as well, but haven't heard a thing :(  i guess based on your timeline i won't be called until at least october, which sucks because i am going back to school.  oh well, i've waited too long

for the compression vest, i actually had a consult with another doctor in calgary and wasn't impressed with him, but his secretary told me that his patients usually get the vests from ability medical supplies or similar type "medical supply" stores.  i've been there before for a sports knee injury and they let you try on the knee garments so they might do the same with the vests.

Offline seesaw

• Posting Member

for the compression vest, i actually had a consult with another doctor in calgary and wasn't impressed with him, but his secretary told me that his patients usually get the vests from ability medical supplies or similar type "medical supply" stores.  i've been there before for a sports knee injury and they let you try on the knee garments so they might do the same with the vests.
[/quote]

I went to the Co-op medical supply store on Macleod Trail in the south, it's a pretty huge store.  They carry one brand of vest, with the eyehooks for adjustability in the front.  You can try them on there on the spot to make sure  you have a proper fit.  They were very helpful and even mentioned I was the 3rd guy this week who had come in for a compression vest for similar style surgery.  I bought one there, it's pretty good, but there are adjustable shoulder straps that are visible under some clothes, so I might order one online that's just pure wifebeater style without any straps or adjustments etc.

Offline seesaw

• Posting Member
Well I went through with it and had the surgery yesterday morning.. unfortunately shortly after getting out a blood vessel popped in my left chest and it filled with blood, so I had to go back under so they could remove all the fluid and make sure all the bleeders were stopped.  This lengthened my stay to overnight.  I was very weak after 2 general anesthetics in such a short period of time and was in no shape to move or travel.  Dr. Haugrud was great and the nursing staff at Rockyview were simply amazing.  I had a very good experience there, albeit a little bit longer than anticipated.  I'm swollen like a mofo and will bruise heavily on the left side as a result of that bleed.. I'm also wrapped tightly in a tensor and do have drains in as well.  I'll get the drains out on monday and as for right now can have a shower tomorrow and remove all of the bandaging, but will reapply the tensor bandage to keep some pressure on the swollen bits.

Pain was minimal and only just initially out of surgery did they really give me anything.. other than that just some dull acheing and a pinch every once and a while from the train tubes which are sutured into me.

I'm nervous and excited to see some of the partial results tomorrow.. but can see a lot of swelling already as a result of the extra surgery so I know it will take significantly longer for that swelling to minimize.  Feels good to be back in my own bed, but slightly am missing the nonstop attention of the great staff at Rockyview haha.

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
oh man too bad about you blood vessel popping! that must be painful.

i got my surgery with dr haugrud in december 2008, and as its now approaching 2 years, i can say its exactly as it was before i had the surgery. some days during the last while have been bearable, ive been able to take my shirt off semi-comfortably, but there was always some scar tissue lurking (castor oil massage helps drastically reduce them, and if youre consistent they will fade away) but apparently now, and from my last visit with haugrud, it seem that there is additional growth in breast tissue, not scar tissue, which is why its not going anywhere.

ive had a total of 4 cortisone shots on 4 different visits to him in the period, and still not much has changed. when i get a moment ill post some pics. im really not happy with the results right now, but he mentioned that i may need to do corrective surgery but under local anesthetic, so id be frozen in the area as opposed to going under. less of a wait time, and i didnt do well with the general anesthetic, got really sick after.

its been an up and down period, when im super fit it bothers me less, but even now im decent shape and i still have a fat chest, the only thing that holds me back in life, or that i let hold me back, is my gyno. acne is another thing when ive got it at times but its manageable... but this gyno not something i would wish on anyone.

feel free to ask any questions. i dont frequent this site too much these days, but i'll definitely respond when i can

Offline na2

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024