Author Topic: Post removed by the user!  (Read 2885 times)

Here For My Girls

I've actually really considered making my own bras so they could be a custom fit and I figure minus my time I would be money ahead. I do a lot of sewing as I do 1810-20s reenactment and make all my own clothes for reenacting. I thought about making a lightweight canvas corset/bra deal to wear at the next gathering this fall. Corsets weren't common to see on men in that time frame, but it wasn't unheard of. I have a feeling last falls gathering would be my last going there without support as I'm in pain by the end of the day. I also wouldn't mind an included corset to help slim me up a touch....
That sounds interesting! I belong to a group on Facebook called men who sew and I love seeing the pictures of what they are sewing,  do you have any of the reenactment clothes you have sewn?
I have 2 cotton shirts, one linen shirt, a pair of buckskin pants and several pair of moccasins. I plan on makimg a pair of breeches and another shirt, and possibly the afore mentioned corset/bra combo for this fall. I also deer hunt in all handmade garments with a lever action rifle. I prefer old school feel and being one with mother nature

Brdy64

I've actually really considered making my own bras so they could be a custom fit and I figure minus my time I would be money ahead. I do a lot of sewing as I do 1810-20s reenactment and make all my own clothes for reenacting. I thought about making a lightweight canvas corset/bra deal to wear at the next gathering this fall. Corsets weren't common to see on men in that time frame, but it wasn't unheard of. I have a feeling last falls gathering would be my last going there without support as I'm in pain by the end of the day. I also wouldn't mind an included corset to help slim me up a touch....
That sounds interesting! I belong to a group on Facebook called men who sew and I love seeing the pictures of what they are sewing,  do you have any of the reenactment clothes you have sewn?
I have made friends with an Uber driver, and I call her direct now.

Yesterday we spent the whole ride talking about sewing and guys again, it's quite refreshing to have something to talk about with people. We both use the Singer heavy duty as our primary machine, and I was explaining how well 'roller feet' work on the bra materials. She said she has several selections, but just doesn't know when the feet need to be changed for different fabrics.
She also tried to give me some cute canvas she picked up at a garage sale with 'perched owls' pattern on it. It would make such a nice skirt, but I couldn't accept it.

That Facebook group sounds awesome! I am not on Facebook though, but it sounds fun. You could start a sewing thread for that here too. ;)

aboywithgirls

I went bra shopping yesterday at a boutique that sold $150+ bras and for a joke asked to try a $175 bra to see what, if any difference there was in a bra that expensive. To my amazement there was a big difference in fit and comfort and to a lesser extent support and containment. While I wouldn't mind owning a bra like that, that is WAY more money than I want to spend. I passed on that bra but did buy two others in my usual $75 to $100 price range that worked for me quite well. I joked with the fitter that I couldn't think of a single thing I would wear it with! She laughed and said she could think of several things she could!

Biggest thing I saw in the difference is the material used. She showed me a $250 bra that was made from shear chantilly lace and it is the cost of the raw materials that drives up the price. It was a beautiful bra, very delicate and feminine but actually somewhat impractical. I understand you get what you pay for, been there, done that. And there is A LOT of R&D that goes into designing bras that factor into the cost, but after a point, it's just how many bobbles can you put on a bra to drive up the price.
I know that I have said this before, but I LOVE ❤️ bra shopping! I took my niece bra shopping a few weeks ago. She is very well endowed like her mother and I. A few days before we went, I did have a little chuckle.  I asked her when the last time she was actually fitted. She said that she was fitted last year at VS and they said that she was a 34DDD. I know that she was NOT a DDD. She was told that she was a DDD because that is the largest cup size they carry in the store.

We went to Zoe and Company (my favorite bra boutique) and she got PROPERLY fitted and she is actually a 32G, UK sizing which is a US 32I. I spent $325 on 3 new bras for her. I didn't mind because I know how good she felt about wearing a bra that actually fit. Then, she said "You are such a girl!" she said that her mother had not noticed or said anything about her bras not fitting. She followed that with the fact that she never thought of me as a man while she was growing up because of my shape and how I dressed.  I live my sister dearly but she is so much a Tomboy while my niece and I like doing the girly things that her mother couldn't care less about. 

Anyway, yes! I think that my bra is the most important piece of clothing that I put on every day so I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on one. If you have ever had an underwire break in the middle of your work day or had a friend safety pin 🧷 your bra together to get through your day, you know why I spend the extra money on a good bra.

❤️Sophie❤️

Brdy64

I have helped safety pin a bra together for my wife before, and I have seen underwires pop out to become torture devices. Broken underwire I'm sure was in the mix somewhere as well, I can't remember.🤔
I agree Sophie, a well made bra and replacing the worn out ones is important regardless of the cost. 😉

Offline gotgyne

My favored Triumph Doreen bras were in the range of 60 $. But I wore cheaper and similar ones also with great success.
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

p.r.1974

I am also in the comfort and quality first club. One can indeed find lower cost bras that work really well. I have just had less issues with consistency with the brands I choose to spend a bit more on. 

Brdy64

I am also in the comfort and quality first club. One can indeed find lower cost bras that work really well. I have just had less issues with consistency with the brands I choose to spend a bit more on.
I agree 100% I have worn cheaper bras and find qualify and fit are not the same. At least to me. 🤔

Offline HeldUp

• Silver Member
I don't have a shopping need at the moment. I have been thinking that when I do need to freshen up the top drawer I'd like to do so after a fitting. I think I know what works now after trial and error, but sticking with the limited knowledge I have kind of keeps me in a rut. Maybe there are better fits out there a guiding hand might introduce me to. If/when I do go that route, I figure my champagne taste will likely make that excursion less frugal than it could be. 8)

Brdy64

I don't have a shopping need at the moment. I have been thinking that when I do need to freshen up the top drawer I'd like to do so after a fitting. I think I know what works now after trial and error, but sticking with the limited knowledge I have kind of keeps me in a rut. Maybe there are better fits out there a guiding hand might introduce me to. If/when I do go that route, I figure my champagne taste will likely make that excursion less frugal than it could be. 8)
My first fitting was quite the adventure. I spent all morning in a nervous wreak.
It was all for not, the SA was very welcoming and helpful.
Incredibly she stated that 30% of their customers are men, and this is Texas! (I was still more or less presenting as a man then).
She also informed me that many if not most of them didn't really "need" a bra but wanted one, they also buy the matching panties.

My measuring went well, and she stated, "you definitely need a bra". 😉

The girls showed me many styles and items, and I settled for a style that I was already used to from buying Torrid online. They helped me get the Torrid credit card to save even more money.

My second fitting here recently I went in presenting as a woman. Just another 60-year-old woman in a wheelchair clothes shopping. Nothing at all was said by the SA about gender. That is until I went to check out at the register. She asked for my ID to verify I'm me where she exclaims, "oh my" when she read it and saw my picture. Nothing more was said about it.

I realize now that my ID most definitely need updates. 😳

Photo is the outfit I wore. Tank, blouse draped over it, and boyfriend 3.5 pull on shorts. 
All Torrid garments 😉
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 09:26:56 AM by 💁Birdie💖 »

aboywithgirls

I had my first fitting about 3 decades ago as a 16 year old.  I was a 34C with long hair. It was the first time that I was assumed to be a girl. The SA was right all along. 

❤️Sophie❤️

Brdy64

"I had my first fitting about 3 decades ago as a 16 year old.  I was a 34C with long hair. It was the first time that I was assumed to be a girl. The SA was right all along. 

❤️Sophie❤️"

Yes she was! You have always been a woman 💃

Brdy64

Not within my budget but:

The world's most expensive bra is the $12.5-million (£8.5-million) Heavenly Star Bra, by Victoria's Secret, created in 2001. It features 1,200 Sri Lankan pink sapphires and as its centerpiece a 90-carat emerald cut diamond that was worth $10.6 million (£7.28 million) alone at the time. The 2005 Sexy Splendor Fantasy Bra also had a $12.5-million selling price, though in comparative terms its value is less than that of the 2001 bra. Both bras were part of the Victoria's Secret Fantasy Bra line.

Offline blad

The world's most expensive bra is the $12.5-million (£8.5-million) Heavenly Star Bra, by Victoria's Secret, created in 2001. It features 1,200 Sri Lankan pink sapphires and as its centerpiece a 90-carat emerald cut diamond that was worth $10.6 million (£7.28 million) alone at the time. The 2005 Sexy Splendor Fantasy Bra also had a $12.5-million selling price, though in comparative terms its value is less than that of the 2001 bra. Both bras were part of the Victoria's Secret Fantasy Bra line.
Talk about bra money!
If the bra fits, wear it.

Brdy64

Talk about bra money!
I wonder what size it is? It doesn't say? 
Not that it matters, but it still could have been listed in the description. 🤔

Offline oldguy

• Silver Member
This reminds me of when a group of us would got the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, each year for 12 years.  1978 to 1990.  Every year we brought something for our wives.  One year, at Caesars Palace, there was a shop that sold rhinestone studded bras.  We each bought one for our wives.  I believe they were around $40 or so.  To our dismay, none of them would wore them.  They talked and agreed to boycott them.  Dang.  None of us ever saw them again.  That's when I learned about Mars vs Venus.  Now, I understand.  Still married after 52 years.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024