Author Topic: How do you usually bra shop?  (Read 2160 times)

Brdy64

Some individuals are reluctant to bra shop in public, others don't have a problem at all. 
While some will measure themselves and use the trial-and-error method, others will have a go at a professional fitting in a shop. 

What is your method and how has it worked out for you?

Would you consider something else?

What is your strangest bra shopping story? 

Offline taxmapper

The fear of public is gone with me, but my go to is still Amazonia. 

I have had some mixed results, (Amazon brand) have worked just fine for me. 

Just eaiser. 

Gino

I "think" my growth is slowing and in my preferred brands I can and do shop on Ebay and get excellent fitment. 

Brdy64

I "think" my growth is slowing and in my preferred brands I can and do shop on Ebay and get excellent fitment.
I have never tried Ebay yet, I'm sure it's a great place to start. 

aboywithgirls

For me, a lot has changed when it comes to bra shopping. 

About 3 decades ago, I went bra shopping for the first time with my mother when she took me for a fitting. I was excited as I was nervous. The nervousness quickly passed when the SA at JCPENNEY thought that I was a girl mostly due to the fact that I found out that I was a 34C and my long hair that I had put in a high ponytail that day. 

I have usually shopped in person from being androgynous, to masculine presenting, back to androgynous and for the last few years as a woman. I have found that mutual respect goes along ways. I had some questions that have been asked out of curiosity but never disrespectful. I have even been asked if my forms were the ones that I would be wearing with my new bra. I have been asked what HRT I was using. I have been asked if I planned on having a mastectomy (thinking that I was a transman)!

I usually don't purchase a new bra without trying it on first. I have however, bought the same bra afterwards on line at a lower cost.

I love lingerie shopping, period! I'll shop alone. I love shopping with my wife and finding something that she likes on me and what I like on her. I shop with girlfriends and girls from work that know about my obsession with bras. I  even recently took my niece bra shopping. 

I can say that I became more and more comfortable with bra shopping as a man as I became a regular customer who needed support as much as an other woman did. However it is easier being woman, but I let the fact that I used to have a penis get in the way of getting the support that I needed. 

Love you guys (and ladies)

♥️Sophie♥️

Brdy64

For me, a lot has changed when it comes to bra shopping.

About 3 decades ago, I went bra shopping for the first time with my mother when she took me for a fitting. I was excited as I was nervous. The nervousness quickly passed when the SA at JCPENNEY thought that I was a girl mostly due to the fact that I found out that I was a 34C and my long hair that I had put in a high ponytail that day.

I have usually shopped in person from being androgynous, to masculine presenting, back to androgynous and for the last few years as a woman. I have found that mutual respect goes along ways. I had some questions that have been asked out of curiosity but never disrespectful. I have even been asked if my forms were the ones that I would be wearing with my new bra. I have been asked what HRT I was using. I have been asked if I planned on having a mastectomy (thinking that I was a transman)!

I usually don't purchase a new bra without trying it on first. I have however, bought the same bra afterwards on line at a lower cost.

I love lingerie shopping, period! I'll shop alone. I love shopping with my wife and finding something that she likes on me and what I like on her. I shop with girlfriends and girls from work that know about my obsession with bras. I  even recently took my niece bra shopping.

I can say that I became more and more comfortable with bra shopping as a man as I became a regular customer who needed support as much as an other woman did. However it is easier being woman, but I let the fact that I used to have a penis get in the way of getting the support that I needed.

Love you guys (and ladies)

♥️Sophie♥️
🤣 My second fitting I went clothed right off the Torrid rack from blouse to shorts. 
After measuring me the SA congratulated me in the fact that I had grown a cup. 
We browsed the store for bra styles and ordered my size, then I hit the clearance racks. 

It wasn't until checkout that brought up my account, credit card, and ID that the SA realized I have a "male" name and used to have a beard (my ID).  
"Oh my" is all she said. 🤣

I try to hit Torrid once a month now, and so far I keep getting a different SA. None of them has asked me anything yet, but I'll just tell them if they do. 

I also just love shopping 💖

p.r.1974

I used to do the hit and miss shopping online before opening up to Amanda at Lane Bryant years ago. Now, I too am with Sophie. I will try on fist, and then buy online generally at Torrid or Lane Bryant as the availability and price are better than in store. And then there is the online only sales!

I found that once the sales assistants knew that I was shopping for myself, they opened up a lot more. I totally get being nervous. Being 6'4" and not small, I can appear much different than the usual teddy bear I usually am if I don't open up. Just go in clean and not acting creepy, and you will be greeted with open arms!

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
I have approached the challenge of shopping several ways depending on the shop, my whims, and how this journey has progressed.  It does get easier, and to my surprise sales associates (SA) want to help and make the sale!

Mail order is trial and error.  This includes places like Amazon and eBay.  If you are willing to deal with this, forge ahead expecting to make returns.  It's really a crap shoot.  I have only done this only a few times once I gained a bit of experience with a particular brand.  

Places like Kohl's (a department store widespread across the USA):  Walk in.  Grab a shopping bag hanging near the door.  Browse the Intimate Apparel section, pick out potentials stuffing selections in the bag, try on in a dressing room.  Rarely, is there any help from a clerk or SA.  Once another customer said to me, "Do you realize you are in the women's section?"  Well, duh!#?!  My reply, "Yes, thank you!  My wife sent me out of the dressing room to look for an alternate size!"  Other than that one time, I've had literally no help in Kohl's.  Oh, and how do you get by the checkout if asked?  Try this in a mildly frustrated voice, "My wife stepped out to take a call and left me holding the goods to check out!"  I've never been asked.

Soma, Torrid, Victoria's Secret, Hanes Outlets, and independent boutiques, etc.:  Here's where SA interaction will occur.  I began my first fitting at a boutique in Chicago with this a line something like this, "My doctors have left me busty and at the suggestion of my wife, I would like to be fitted for a bra to help manage friction, motion, and irritation.  Can you help?"  So far, this has resulted in nothing by sympathy and help - to varying degrees.  I've been measured (over a shirt) and given a lot of hands on help adjusting straps and examining fit, and I've been simply shown a dressing room for basically DIY without much help.  Once measured you have a starting point for future shopping events.  Non-busy times will get you more help and less scrutiny by others - try when they first open in the day, or call ahead for an appointment (which I've never have done).  

Web sites can give you some insight into how you might be treated.  Some will use welcoming language or may even indicate LGBTQ friendly.  

And as many have reported, bra sizes are inconsistent.  A 40C in one brand will not fit like a 40C in another!  Try describing the shape of car with two measurements:  bumper-to-bumper and width door-to-door.  It's not possible - nor is correctly sizing anyone's boobs for a bra!  This makes shopping difficult - or fun as some have suggested.  

Good luck!

Offline Johndoe1

I find a shop who serve men and go try on. It has amazed me how many shops quietly serve men and do not treat us any different than their women customers. Now, there's shops that won't serve men and are very clear about that. I avoid them. Of the several shops I have visited, they have made me feel welcomed and comfortable taking my lead. I have also found most shop owners are very open minded and as long as you aren't creepy, they are very accommodating. 
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Brdy64

I find a shop who serve men and go try on. It has amazed me how many shops quietly serve men and do not treat us any different than their women customers. Now, there's shops that won't serve men and are very clear about that. I avoid them. Of the several shops I have visited, they have made me feel welcomed and comfortable taking my lead. I have also found most shop owners are very open minded and as long as you aren't creepy, they are very accommodating.
Hmm, I didn't know there were shops that don't. 🤔

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing. 

Offline Busty

jan1north, perfect answer.  I always shop in person.  Always try on. Sometimes get fitted.  It is obvious I have breasts like a woman.  I am looking for bras for myself like any woman shopping there. 

usetobeed

It's can be difficult to find an unlined underwire bra in a B cup, or smaller. I have shopped in person, but I've had better luck finding what I want with the larger selection that I find online. Better prices, too.

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
If your band size is > 40, check out a minimizer style bra in C cup.  I’ve found they feel close to a 40B (for example).

Brdy64

If your band size is > 40, check out a minimizer style bra in C cup.  I’ve found they feel close to a 40B (for example).
I have never wore one but I have a friend that swears by them. She was a DD, but really didn't look it at all. They apparently work very well. 😉

Offline Johndoe1

Minimizer's distribute the breast tissue in a way that gives the appearance of less projection giving a smaller look. If you are ample in size, a minimizer is a must in your bra collection.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024