Author Topic: Recovery Questions/Help.... 4 Weeks Post Op  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Ross_Mk2

• Posting Member
Hi Guys!

Just been to see the sergeon and he has told me a few things, i just want to run it past you guys and ask a few questions as there is a lot of knowledge here!

Right he says i can start massaging the area now to take the swelling down..... how do i go about this/ how long and what should i use?

He said i can start taking the compression vest off and wearing maybe just at night.... does this sound ok 4 weeks post op, if not what do you recommend?

I think thats about it, he told me i can start trying to drive again and maybe very little work at the gym also, is there anything else you recommend?

Thanks!

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Bump :)

Any ideas anyone? i have the same questions myself

Offline Johnny Wishbone

• Posting Member
The longer you keep the vest on the better, although it is generally accepted that 4 weeks solid followed by 4 weeks 12 hours a day is followed (I was told to keep it on during the DAY for the 2nd month, all surgeons have different ideas - some do not believe in them at all and just used light bandages, although personally I think this is unwise).

As for massaging I would recommend certainly waiting til any pain has gone and the wounds have healed properly - ?3-4 weeks?.  Get yourself some arnica cream (beeswax free) and vitamin e oil/scar reduction oil and alternate them. I massaged 3-4 times a day for around 5 mins. Basically ensure the skin is moist with chosen product at all times a give it a good rub, you can be quite rough and the area will feel slightly sore/red afterwards. I tended to do circular motions around the nips and occasionally grab the flesh and rub between thumb and forefinger. It's hard to explain - you just do what feels right. You will feel gradua improvement as the scar tissue breaks down - be prepared for it to swell though (sometimes more than others) as you are aggitating it, it's quite normal.

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
Is massaging absolutely necessary do you think? I don't feel at all confident doing it and my surgeon didn't mention anything about it.

Offline outertrial

It helps the skin loosen up and increases blood flow and therefore healing. Some people believe that massage can break down scar tissue or even prevent it forming.

Offline Ross_Mk2

• Posting Member
I'll give it a try! The surgeon told me that massaging will help take the swelling down as my one side has puffed up a little, i still have a little pain but will give massaging a go tomorrow night!

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

It also i led to believe stops the skin sticking to the muscle during the healing process

Offline Ross_Mk2

• Posting Member
I couldn't find any arnica cream will i be ok with just bio oil?

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

You should be, although Arnica Cream is readily available in Boots or Holland & Barrett.

http://tinyurl.com/26mqv7

http://tinyurl.com/yv2asm

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024