Author Topic: How Do You When Its Time To Take off Your Garment?  (Read 9147 times)

Offline baron

• Bronze Member
Hello

I am just under 3 weeks post op, and am planning to post pics once my compression garment is off.

My question tho, how do I know when its time? I cant consult my doc as I travelled to see him, and am now back home. He just told me to take it off "when I feel the time is right", ie when I feel its not making a difference anymore.

I still wear it all the time, except for showering and sometimes take it off for a breather 10 minutes a day

How did others here know when it was time?

Thanks
Baron

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
Just from averages around here, I would say to keep it on six weeks, then see.  You'll know if it's time - if it's not time, it'll start to swell some and/or it'll get sore  I know I tried to down-grade to a lesser-compression garment (which was more confortable) after about two weeks, but my chest started aching bad.  Putting the higher compression back on helped the pain.

Offline baron

• Bronze Member
Thanks

I know what you mean, a few nights ago the garment came loose at night when I was sleeping. Next morning it seemed more swollen.

Its extremely uncomfortable in this heat, but its worth it.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
Most docs seem to recommend that you wear the garment 24/7 for the first 4 weeks and then just at night for another 2-4 weeks or so. 

Offline baron

• Bronze Member
Well I am just under 3 weeks, so guess another week with this thing on wont kill me.

It just doesnt breathe, and itches so much when its hot. Cant wait till I can take it off.

Does the swelling have to be completely gone before I can take it off, or is it normal for there still to be swelling when its time for it to come off?

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
I'm pretty sure residual swelling is normal.  I had lipo on my sides too and the swelling there is finally going away (at about eight or nine weeks now) - I could still feel the hard swollen tissue in there.  The compression garment just sort of keeps the swelling in check, and from getting to big and painful.  After a few weeks tho, its going to do what it's going to do, you know?  Time will take care of the rest.

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
man when I get my surgery Im gonna wear that thing 24/7 for a month...not gonna take a shower... lol only clean myself with wet towel....yes I know its sick but I want it to go perfectly as its suppose to..
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline baron

• Bronze Member
  I had lipo on my sides too and the swelling there is finally going away (at about eight or nine weeks now) - I could still feel the hard swollen tissue in there. 

Yep exactly what I have, can feel hard swollen tissue on the sides, and still some swelling on the front. Pics to follow when I am more healed.

FYI its arouud 91 fahrenheit here, or around 33 celsius, with a relative humidity of around 80%, I am so hot

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Your doctor should give you a recommended length of time to wear it.  Personally, I wore mine for a month.  Couldnt wait to get rid of the crappy thing.  Had a little swelling in week 5 but since that the swelling seems to have gone...just a sore, tender feeling under each nipple now.
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline baron

• Bronze Member
Your doctor should give you a recommended length of time to wear it. 

When I asked my doc, he said, 2-4 weeks, or when YOU feel its time to take it off. At the time, I didnt think to ask what exactly he meant by that.

At least now I have a clearer picture  :)

GynO_DuDe

It promotes healing so wearing it while you sleep would be advised I suppose since thats when your body repairs itself.

BUT, ive also found out that these compression garments are worn as an alternative to surgery even ... As they give you a much better 'look' once worn. So it can also be a confidence thing. Wear it when and if you want too ...

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I instruct my patients to wear the compression vest day and night for only two weeks.  They can go longer if they prefer, and many do. 

I've actually had this surgery myself (3 years ago) and after two weeks I was on a long plane flight and my vest was driving me crazy (10 or 12 days out) so I actually took it off while in my seat on the plane. 

They say doctors make the worst patients; I guess I proved that.  :(

Anyway, the longer you wear the compression garments, the better.  But I know how miserable they can be so I don't force the issue.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline rashdudes

• Bronze Member
My doc has asked me to wear it for 6 weeks straight; and to only remove it while bathing.
I am 3 days post-op and 3 more days to go before my drains are removed. I guess the drains
are the worst part of the healing process. Especially when it hit a 100 degrees on the day of my
surgery  :'(

Offline dusty87

• Posting Member
My PS said to wear it full time for 3 weeks then I can take it off.  He also said that If I wanted to I could do a stage two type thing and get some Under Armour a size or two too small and wear that for a week or two....he said to wear the wrap if once I start working out again the swelling goes up...throw it on for a bit.

Offline baron

• Bronze Member
Gosh I can just imagine how that felt on the flight Dr. Pope.

I am complaining, but from what you guys/girls are saying, its staying on for now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024