Author Topic: Describe "Gland"  (Read 2881 times)

Offline as400

• Silver Member
Some say its hard?...how big is it and what does it feel like?...not sure if I just need lipo or if I have this mysterious 'gland', some seem to be able to spot it just from peoples photos!
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoes, after that who cares? your a mile away and have his shoes.

DrBermant

Some say its hard?...how big is it and what does it feel like?...not sure if I just need lipo or if I have this mysterious 'gland', some seem to be able to spot it just from peoples photos!

Breast Gland is tissue designed to create milk when stimulated with the right hormones in mammals, both male and female.  Fat tends to be soft, gland tends to be firm.  Fingers of gland often dissect between fingers of fat.  Look at this Drawing of Gynecomastia Anatomy and move your mouse over the arrows.  However, gland can be soft and fat firm confusing the picture.  Gland tends to be located under the nipple and pinching pressure can sometimes tether to the nipple pulling it in.  In the body, the gland tends to be white, the same color as connective tissue and dermis (the layer under the skin.  Male Breast Examination is not an accurate way to distinguish gland from fat in most situations.  Liposuction preferentially goes after fat instead of gland.  That includes all forms of liposuction (ultrasonic, vaser, "smart," power assisted, sharp cutting cannula, and "special cannula).  That is why I evolved my Dynamic Technique for Gynecomastia Surgery where I let what I find during surgery guide what I need from an Artist's Pallette of Surgical Techniques for each side of each patient.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Breast tissue is frequently described as "gland" on this site.  It can be very firm or soft.  It can be an almost rock hard mass just beneath the nipple (frequently seen on bodybuilders who have taken steroids) or it can be very soft, with layers of fat intertwined with it.  It is almost impossible to tell "how much" gland vs "how much" fat is present in any particular person by feel or in a photo.

What is important is whether you have excess tissue on the chest.  This tissue can only be fat or breast tissue.

Surgery to remove this excess tissue is determined by the surgeon's own methods -- but what is important is that after surgery, you should have a thin and uniform pinch of skin and fat on your chest, extending from the collarbone down to the lower ribs.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline BMB65

• Posting Member
Breast tissue is frequently described as "gland" on this site.  It can be very firm or soft.  It can be an almost rock hard mass just beneath the nipple (frequently seen on bodybuilders who have taken steroids) or it can be very soft, with layers of fat intertwined with it.  It is almost impossible to tell "how much" gland vs "how much" fat is present in any particular person by feel or in a photo.

What is important is whether you have excess tissue on the chest.  This tissue can only be fat or breast tissue.

Surgery to remove this excess tissue is determined by the surgeon's own methods -- but what is important is that after surgery, you should have a thin and uniform pinch of skin and fat on your chest, extending from the collarbone down to the lower ribs.

Dr Jacobs

sent a pm

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024