Author Topic: Gyno Causes... Where does the blame lie?  (Read 5966 times)

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
Here is another subject that I struggle to deal with as a gynecomastia sufferer....

From reading the posts on this site and on other legitimate medical and bodybuilding related forums, and with as much we know about the condition itself I have to ask the following questions and make the following observations based on my views:

First, I don't buy, not even for a moment, that alcohol, weed, or other drug use, (recreationally and non steroidal) can sufficiently be blamed as a MAJOR contributing factor to the cause of gynecomastia.

Outlying perhaps...  ::)

Yes, alcohol and weed and other drugs can make your hormones fluctuate, can lead to a lifestyle of inactivity and increased high risk behavior which may lead to higher body fat composition which could cause some extra and unwanted chest fat (pseudogyno) But I again do not believe that anyone, can comfortable and honestly say that Alcohol or drugs (non steroidal) are without a doubt, a MAJOR contributer to gyno. I think that statement made by many on these boards is a copout and a way for many gyno sufferers to provide an answer to the question "WHY ME?".

I will, at best, agree with the philosophy that we, as men, are in some manner predispositioned to gynecomastia based on genetics, and that alcohol and drug use may be the "last straw" that chemically triggers the glands to grow, which inevitably would anyways because of our cursed genetics but I do not believe that alcohol is a sole contributer (Same with Weed and other recreational drugs).

Poor Genetics, Inactive and unhealthy lifestyle choices (prolonged) along with other Major chemical and hormonal altering drugs would be what I, in my opinion (I am not a Doctor, but do have a degree in Biomolecular Sciences) put the blame on for those of us that suffer from this condition.

NOW.... to the IMPORTANT part of my post

If however, it can be proven that other drugs (prescribed) are the sole or MAJOR contributer to the cause of our gynecomastia where does the blame lie?

1. Us, as the individual for taking the drug, albeit prescribed?

2. Well, what if we were not informed by the M.D. that this was a side effect? Then is he at fault? Is he or could he be liable for covering the cost of the procedure?

3. What if the M.D. was not informed that gynecomastia was a side effect with a high incident rate (>3%)? Should the manufacturer be held responsible? The pharmaceutical representative?

I know we live in a sue happy society, and don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of person who contemplates spilling coffee on himself, or walks into traffic hoping to get hit with the hopes of winning a class action lawsuit, however I do feel like the blame in the above cases, under the right circumstance should not just fall under a "BUYER BEWARE CAVEAT".

I do take responsibility for my actions, and for what I put into my body, but as I stated in another post the only possible things I can attribute to my gynecomastia are:

A. Genetics (No one else in my family has/had it)
B. Decreased exercise, increase alcohol intake (possible, but not to this degree of which I suffer), I still exercise on a regular basis and my alcohol intake is not of concern
C. Drugs/Medication - I took Effexor XR as prescribed by a medical doctor for anxiety that I was suffering from in college. Shortly after I discontinued the meds after a 6 month dose, I noticed the burning sensation that I later identified as gyno (by then it was to late to reverse it) and still suffer from today (still have pain and the gland still is growing, although at a slow pace). It has been three years since I first noticed signs.

Again, I feel like this is a legit medical condition and not just a cosmetic procedure (Topic for another post). I hate to feel like this is all my fault and that I brought this upon myself because I went to get treatment for anxiety that I was suffering from.

So....

Any comments? Ideas?

I would like to know where others think the blame lies... Who should be held responsible?  What do you think caused your (our gynecomastia)?

Are we to blame, therefore liable for all medical/surgical costs like the insurance companies like to make us believe?

Discuss....

Thanks for all input

DrBermant

Here is another subject that I struggle to deal with as a gynecomastia sufferer....

From reading the posts on this site and on other legitimate medical and bodybuilding related forums, and with as much we know about the condition itself I have to ask the following questions and make the following observations based on my views:

First, I don't buy, not even for a moment, that alcohol, weed, or other drug use, (recreationally and non steroidal) can sufficiently be blamed as a MAJOR contributing factor to the cause of gynecomastia.

Outlying perhaps...  ::)

Yes, alcohol and weed and other drugs can make your hormones fluctuate, can lead to a lifestyle of inactivity and increased high risk behavior which may lead to higher body fat composition which could cause some extra and unwanted chest fat (pseudogyno) But I again do not believe that anyone, can comfortable and honestly say that Alcohol or drugs (non steroidal) are without a doubt, a MAJOR contributer to gyno. I think that statement made by many on these boards is a copout and a way for many gyno sufferers to provide an answer to the question "WHY ME?".

I will, at best, agree with the philosophy that we, as men, are in some manner predispositioned to gynecomastia based on genetics, and that alcohol and drug use may be the "last straw" that chemically triggers the glands to grow, which inevitably would anyways because of our cursed genetics but I do not believe that alcohol is a sole contributer (Same with Weed and other recreational drugs).

Poor Genetics, Inactive and unhealthy lifestyle choices (prolonged) along with other Major chemical and hormonal altering drugs would be what I, in my opinion (I am not a Doctor, but do have a degree in Biomolecular Sciences) put the blame on for those of us that suffer from this condition.

There are many Drugs and Medications that can cause gynecomastia as well as many medical causes of gynecomastia that can rage havoc over the body's endocrine system.  Yes, an alcohol damaged liver that can no longer deal with metabolism of estrogen and other body compounds alone can result in monster sized male breasts.  You do not need any other predisposing factor. 

Even genetic issues like Klinefelter Syndrome are not clear as not all have gynecomastia.

The endocrine axis is very complicated and how any one medication interacts with an individual is variable.  If someone could find factors that predisposes one individual to any one complication more than another, that detail would be very valuable.  Such research is very difficult to conduct, there are just too many variables.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I know we live in a sue happy society.

No... You live in a 'Sue Happy' country...   :P

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
*Sorry I don't know how to properly quote text from replies and other topics

"an alcohol damaged liver that can no longer deal with metabolism of estrogen and other body compounds alone can result in monster sized male breasts.  You do not need any other predisposing factor."

^As a cause of gyno for 16-24 year olds? An endocrinologist should be able to determine if liver damage is the cause for an individuals gynecomastia correct?

Can't imagine a gyno related lawsuit against the alcohol industry would be good for public relations. I can remember being forced to attend many many many alcohol related education courses in grade school, high school and college and don't ever remember gynecomastia being listed as an effect of excessive drinking over a period of time.

I agree that it is! No argument here, however I was referring to the more casual, social, non-problem drinker in my rant above... I agree that there is sufficient information and legitimate studies that have been preformed that show that liver damage induced by excessive drinking over an extended period of time can result to many hormonal imbalances ending in gland and fat formations.

No... You live in a 'Sue Happy' country...   

GB

Ahhhh... Canada. I live a few hours from Quebec. Do you have any insight into when the plastic surgeons, and the Provinces, would consider operating on U.S. based patients? I heard they would NOT because of legal and liability technicalities. Is this still correct?

Thank you both for your posts!

Offline Bob2000

• Posting Member
forget the "M.Ds", they are for the most part worthless hacks. My endocrinologist prescribed me prilosec for heartburn WHILE seeing me for gynecomastia. After my symptoms became worse, i did research and sure enough it was listed as a drug which is known to cause gynecomastia. I brought that to her attention and she said "oh....yeah, well then try something over the counter".

Offline zane949

• Bronze Member
correct me if i am wrong but i think more than 90% of the people posting on this site got it at puberty.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Ahhhh... Canada. I live a few hours from Quebec. Do you have any insight into when the plastic surgeons, and the Provinces, would consider operating on U.S. based patients? I heard they would NOT because of legal and liability technicalities. Is this still correct?

Yes. AFAIK, Canadian PS's are still turning away OOC patients. I have not heard anything to the contrary.

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

correct me if i am wrong but i think more than 90% of the people posting on this site got it at puberty.

Yes, I would have to say that the majority of guys here do indeed develop G at puberty.

GB

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I do not know where you are coming from, But I live in California. Whenever I pick up any prescription medication I also receive a paper that has more information than I usually want about what the drug is prescribed for, what it may interact with, and what to watch for in terms of side effects. Frequently this document runs two pages or more. There have been times when I questioned the advisability of using a particular drug and asked my Dr. if there were effective alternatives without the adverse side effects. The ultimate responsibility for my care falls upon me to be an intelligent consumer.

You are right and you are wrong at the same time with respect to alcohol and drugs. In the case of alcohol use for example. Alcohol does not cause gynecomastia. What it does is impair liver function and cause the blood levels of estrogen to rise as a result. Occasional drinks in moderation do not seem to be a big deal, But drinking to the degree that the alcohol becomes Toxic can be an important issue. A person who abstains from alcohol all week but binges on the week ends may actually have elevated estrogen levels half of the time because the liver may take a few days to recover from the toxic event. Coincidentally, Alcohol is also toxic to the testes at the same time. If you have become intoxicated, you have crossed the line. A glass of wine with dinner should not be a problem.
Grandpa Dan

Offline garmoe

• Posting Member
Some men just do not produce as much or as good (bio avail) testosterone.......however the general medical community does not believe in HRT for men. If they did test gels/shots would be as readily available as estrogen pills are for women. There are a few studies that the show the benefits of TRT for men,  however politics and plain old stupidity get in the way of more funding for good medical studies!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024