Author Topic: When you had your gynecomastia surgery, were you under local or general anesthes  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Onision

• Posting Member
When you had your gynecomastia surgery, were you under local or general anesthesia?

Offline FreeinVegas

• Posting Member
I was under general.  The anesthesiologist let me know he was administering the medicine and that it may sting just a bit in my hand. I never felt any pain from it.  He then told me to think about taking a vacation back to WV (where I'm from) and then asked where exactly I grew up.  I said something about being from central WV and next thing I knew the nurse was waking me up in the recovery area.

After some pretty major cotton-mouth and a little uncontrollable shaking, I was good to go.

Offline losernumber1

• Posting Member
uncontrollable shaking? That doesnt sound too normal. How much did this concern you? What is the cause?

www.anticharisma.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Shaking may occur after general anesthesia and it is normal.  What happens is that the body cools down somewhat during the operation and when you wake up, the body tries to warm up by using its muscles.  It's virtually the same as shaking when you are in cold weather.

That is only one of many reasons why I prefer IV (intra-venous) sedation anesthesia for my patients.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
I was under general. Didn't have any bad side effects except for just being sleepy afterwards for a while. Also a slight sore throat from the tube they stick down your throat.

The nurses gave me something to eat, and took me to the toilet and I was ready to go.

Offline FreeinVegas

• Posting Member
Yeah I didn't mean to sound as though I was gonna shake myself off of the bed.  But, now that I think about it, it was exactly like I was shivering from cold, but I didn't feel cold.  It may have lasted 5 minutes at the most.  I had dry mouth for while though.  Could not get enough to drink, but I was glad that I was taking in so much water to help cleanse my system of the anesthesia.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The dry mouth (cotton mouth) that you awake with from general anesthesia is from a drug that is given to reduce your saliva during the operation.  It is meant to prevent you from choking on your own secretions.  It wears off within a hour or so after surgery.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

When you had your gynecomastia surgery, were you under local or general anesthesia?
I prefer local anesthesia with heavy sedation for almost all of my male chest sculpture.  Check this page link if you are looking for a collection of Patient Experiences with Anesthesia and Comfort for Gynecomastia Surgery.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound as though I was gonna shake myself off of the bed.  But, now that I think about it, it was exactly like I was shivering from cold, but I didn't feel cold.  It may have lasted 5 minutes at the most.  I had dry mouth for while though.  Could not get enough to drink, but I was glad that I was taking in so much water to help cleanse my system of the anesthesia.

Cold operating rooms are much more comfortable for surgical staff.  However, shaking after surgery from a patient too cooled down by either General Anesthesia or a cool room is a great way to start the pain cycle. That is why my operating room is kept warm for my patients' comfort and why local anesthesia with sedation is a better option for this sculpture.   Shivering is the body's way to warm itself back up.  The tensing of muscles is general, the entire body is involved.  Shaking an operative site can cause new trauma and discomfort if the nerve block is not complete. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
'General' here.

Also had the shivers and dry mouth post-op.

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member
I had general, I was shivering for a minute or so, was really confused for a few minutes (took a while to realize where I was) and had a sore throat for 2 days (on my 2nd day now post-op and its just about gone).

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024