Author Topic: Got my first hormonal results  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
Well, it looks pretty well, although i'd love if hypo could take a look at them.
(I'll try to translate every word i can)

1- TRIOIODOTIRONINA - T3
RESULT:     1.02   ug/l.

2- TIROXINA TOTAL - T4
RESULT:     6.5   ug/l.

3 - TIROTROFINA - TSH
RESULT:     2.11   uU/ml

4 - ANTIFRACCIÓN MICROSOMAL TIROIDEA
RESULT:    Below 1/50

5 - ANTICUERPOS ANTI-TIROGLOBULINA
RESULT:     Below 1/50

6 - TESTOSTERONE PLASMÁTICA
RESULT:     6.5   ng/ml.

7 - PROLACTINE PLASMÁTICA
RESULT:     13.8  NG/ML.

8 - ESTRADIOL PLASMÁTICO
RESULT: 34   PG/ML

9 - LH
RESULT: 4.5 mU/ml.

10 - FSH
RESULT: 2.5 mU/ml.

Along with the results, there are some standard values for each test, for example, for LH in a man it should be from 1.5 mU/ml. to 9.2, and there are two results which don't match.
The prolactine result was 13.8 and it should be from 1.8 to 12.5 , isn't it too high¿?
Then, the FSH came 2.5 mU/ml. , and it should be from 3.5 to 16.

I'm going to see my endo on the 28th with the results, but i would appreciate some opinions until then(specially from HYPO).
Oh, I gave the blood for this test at 11:00 am, and because of some advice from a friend yesterday i gave blood again to have another set of results, but this time with blood given at 8:00 (he said that prolactine should be tested at this time, maybe that is why it came so high).

Thanks for the time.

Offline rcbrown23

Haven't seen hypo around for a few days...Maybe he's on vacation or something. I'm sure he'll tell you what he thinks when he gets back to the boards.

As for me, I have know idea what those numbers translate to.

Offline hypo

Hi guys,

Finrod the 11 am test is absolutely fine.

I have to say I am somewhat thrown by your results as the molecular weights are not what I am used to seeing at all.

e.g

Testosterone in the UK is measured in nmol/l and in the US often in ng/dl.  mnol/l can be converted to the US measurement by multiplying by 28.8.

I am going to have to go away and try and obtain the calculation that will allow me to understand what your result represents in terms I understand before being able to help.

Any further information that you can detail will help.  In fact given the differing sensitivities of varying assays I’d need all reference ranges.

What country are you from/being treated in?

Do you have any other symptoms apart from gynecomastia such as fatigue/lethargy, libido/erection problems or liquid release from the breast etc?

If you can answer those questions I can obtain the information that can help you further.

If there is anything you wish to put to me in private given the nature of these things just private message me.  

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I got to give credit where it's due (and criticize where it's due).  Hypo you know your stuff man.

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
Hi guys,

Finrod the 11 am test is absolutely fine.

I have to say I am somewhat thrown by your results as the molecular weights are not what I am used to seeing at all.

e.g

Testosterone in the UK is measured in nmol/l and in the US often in ng/dl.  mnol/l can be converted to the US measurement by multiplying by 28.8.

I am going to have to go away and try and obtain the calculation that will allow me to understand what your result represents in terms I understand before being able to help.

Any further information that you can detail will help.  In fact given the differing sensitivities of varying assays I’d need all reference ranges.

What country are you from/being treated in?

Do you have any other symptoms apart from gynecomastia such as fatigue/lethargy, libido/erection problems or liquid release from the breast etc?

If you can answer those questions I can obtain the information that can help you further.

If there is anything you wish to put to me in private given the nature of these things just private message me.  

Hey there!
Sorry about the molecular weights, if u can't figure them out i can't see what i can do :( .

Here are the references for the different tests:

1- TRIOIODOTIRONINA - T3
RESULT:     1.02   ug/l.
REF. in men: 0.6-1.6 ug/l.

2- TIROXINA TOTAL - T4
RESULT:     6.5   ug/dl.
REF. in men: 4.0-12.0 ug/dl.

3 - TIROTROFINA - TSH
RESULT:     2.11   uU/ml
REF. in men: 0.5-4.7uU/mL

4 - ANTIFRACCIÓN MICROSOMAL TIROIDEA
RESULT:    Below 1/50
REF. in men: up to 1/100

5 - ANTICUERPOS ANTI-TIROGLOBULINA  
RESULT:     Below 1/50
REF. in men: up to 1/50

6 - TESTOSTERONE PLASMÁTICA
RESULT:     6.5   ng/ml.
REF. in men: 2.8-8.0 ng/ml

7 - PROLACTINE PLASMÁTICA
RESULT:     13.8  ng/ml.
REF. in men:  1.8-12.5 ng/ml.

8 - ESTRADIOL PLASMÁTICO
RESULT: 34   pg/ml.
REF. in men: 10-60 pg/ml.

9 - LH
RESULT: 4.5 mU/ml.
REF. in men: 1.5-9.2 mU/ml.

10 - FSH
RESULT: 2.5 mU/ml.
REF. in men: 3.5- 16.0 mU/ml.

About the questions fo libido etc., the answer is no, the only syntom i can see is the gyne (so does an endo i went to see last week)

Oh, in my first post, in T4 i put ug/l. as the molec. weight, but it was ug/dl. instead, sorry about that. I've already changed it in this post.

Well, i think that's about it. And btw, today i'm pickyng the other set of studies which i did at 8:00, so hopefully i'll post the results today and see if the values changed.

Offline johnri60626

• Posting Member
   If you ask this question of those in alt.support.thyroid on Usenet, they will be more than happy to help you figure it out.
 From my experience, your T3 (triiodothyronine ) is on the very upper edge of it's range ( according to my lab....and ranges vary betwwen labs. Please be certain to always get copies of any test results), which can cause some issues, including gynecomastia, if I recall correctly. Your level of T4 ( thyroxine ) is in range ( again according to my lab, but that range listed is 4.5 to 12.0 ug/dL ).
 Ideally, you want your thyroid hormones to be in the middle or upper middle of range, and that will halp the other hormones to be in range, because the thyroid controls your metabolism and affects almost every other facet of your anatomy.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 07:22:00 AM by johnri60626 »

Offline hypo

Hey

Testosterone weighs in at 22.5nmol/l on the European scale and 650ng/dl on the US which if taken in the morning probably isn't too bad at all.

Estradiol 34pg/ml equates to 118pmol/l on the European scale which I can tell you is elevated and is something well be worth reducing.

Obviously you are looking for a surgical procedure but I would raise this issue with your doctor and enquire about the supplementation of Diindolylmelthane (DIM) with Indolplex, a natural option that allows for the healthy metabolisation of estradiol and allow estradiol to be naturally lowered.

I can’t speak for the other values for which I have problem interpreting.

http://www.atdonline.org/pdf/DIMandCancer.pdf#search='what%20does%20dim%20indolplex%20do?'

Offline Finrod

• Posting Member
"Estradiol 34pg/ml equates to 118pmol/l on the European scale which I can tell you is elevated and is something well be worth reducing.

Obviously you are looking for a surgical procedure but I would raise this issue with your doctor and enquire about the supplementation of Diindolylmelthane (DIM) with Indolplex, a natural option that allows for the healthy metabolisation of estradiol and allow estradiol to be naturally lowered. "

My endo saw me yesterday and he didn't really said much about this. The range is 10-60 so 34 doesn't appear to be so bad, apparently.
Which do you think are normal values for estradiol in men of my age??? I read a bit and it says that it causes osteoporosis and could lead to gynecomastia if it's too high, kind of shocked me.
Could you give me more info about this hormone and the consecuences it has in men in determine values?? And maybe something about that drug you mention.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 07:15:22 AM by Finrod »

Offline hypo

The balance of androgens to estrogens is overwhelming THE most significant factor in the development of gynecomastia and the most significant/potent estrogen is- estradiol.

Estradiol plays as crucial a role in the development of gynecomastia as does testosterone.

The problem with testing estradiol is that very often the assays/tests are callibrated towards female reference values and are not sensitive enough to measure this hormone accurately in men and also just as importantly the reference ranges for normal are often- too high.

Your reference range goes beyond 200pmol/l when converted to the European scale, in Europe a good pathology lab will have a top range as 150pmol/l.

The whole point of a reference range is to represent what is 'normal' and by normal we mean a tacit approval of any results that falls with its range, meaning that the individual will be healthy.

However;

I know for a fact that estradiol levels are typically 60-70pmol/l in healthy men (17.3-20.2 pg/ml when converted to your scale), whereas yours converted to the European scale are 118pmol/l which is a little elevated and could very well be a factor in the development of your gynecomastia.

There may be an explanation for this that relates to the callibration of your assay/test but I would at the very least question it and raise the possible use of Diindolylmelthane (DIM) with Indolplex with your endocrinologist (on that note you would need to print that article out for him).

I do not have a handle on your other endocrine functions due to unfamiliar molecular weights/ reference ranges and so do not see the full picture.

Therefore this information is more a case of raising a potential issue rather than stating something 100%.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:24:56 AM by hypo »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024