Author Topic: Bra size calculator that includes males  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Herbert

• Bronze Member
Found a bra size calculator that includes males. Wonder how accurate it is?

https://abrathatfits.org/calculator.php

aboywithgirls

I have used this in the past. I believe that it is fairly accurate. However, I will qualify my statement. I found that the female calculator is more accurate for myself. I think that is because during puberty, my development was much closer to a female puberty than male. That effected my fat distribution, bone structure and muscle development. 

I can definitely see where the differences are in measurements that the male calculator is accurate for a more masculine stature.

The good news is that this shows exactly what I have always believed  both as a man and now as a woman.  Bras are not for women, they are for breasts. 

Sophie ❤️ 

Offline Johndoe1

Like Sophie, I too have found the female calculator reflects my sizing more than the male calculator. Everyone is different. But it is a good calculator. This is another good one to try, https://sophisticatednotion.com/bra-size-calculator/. One thing you have to remember is no matter which one you use, calculators are starting points. Trying on is the only way to be sure it fits and supports correctly.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
While I cannot speak about this calculator’s accuracy for men, my general frustration is over the inconsistency in measuring methods used by each manufacturer.  

Take the band size measurement alone…

Torrid is straight forward:  measure around the chest under the breast where the bra band will sit.  Simple.

Other manufacturers will have you add +4 inches that measurement - or some other number.  Still others require to add one number in if you’re bigger and some other number if you are smaller than some number.  

Then Victoria’s Secret measures the band size over the breast and not where the band lays! 

The bottom line becomes confusing:  A 40C in one brand doesn’t fit the same as a 40C in another!  So sizing is not portable across brands leading to frustration, and uncomfortable purchases.

Then there is cup design.  A “full cup” will fit differently than a “plunge cup”.

A good fitter will understand these brand variations and take this into account during the fitting session.  A bad fitter may attempt to force you into a size or style that is in stock to make the sale.

Then there’s the consumer.  “I’ve always worn a 40C.  Don’t show me a 38D or 42B!”  (Either of which  may be an appropriate ‘sister size’ resulting in a better fit.)

How many bra wearers really understand all of this?  Apparently not many given reports like “80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size”.  That’s a huge number of uncomfortable and frustrated wearers!

And so it goes.  Then throw in the male physique and any measurement or calculator method simply results in a rough starting point.

Busted (and happy)

For me a bra that fits is way, way off despite its claims
My advice, learned the hard way, is to find a well established manufacturer or retailer and use their charts and be aware therecan be alot of grief in not realising that there are different ways of measuring. When using a size chart, double check the publishers methodology.
Bottom line is that fit is everything and there is no substitute for a well trained fitter. Some can tell your size with great accuracy before you take your shirt off and have met some who measure up then say "that's not going to work" before using their intuition.
Bite on the bullet and get a fitting!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 04:49:49 PM by Busted (and happy) »

Offline Gotboobs

• Silver Member
I think you just need to try on clothes. I have 38B bras that fit really good and also 40B bras that fit good...different brands. Even the same brands can have size differences. Or a different colored of the same bra. It’s crazy..no consistency at all. Same with jeans. Size 10 fits me well and some size 12 fit me well...same brand.

Offline leosud

• Bronze Member
One day I went to a shop that I had spotted.
The saleswoman (who is the boss) is around 50 years old, very nice and very professional. After an hour of fitting she found the right size and the right brand.
I go there regularly because my chest continues to grow and each time it is still as effective. She is able to find me the right bra even if I change model or manufacturer.

Offline gotgyne

Nothing beats a well trained fitter. Nevertheless the mentioned calculator that includes males can be a good start for men who are too shy to get fitted. But for them there is only the method of trial and error.
John
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

aboywithgirls

Yes, a good fitter is the easiest way to have a good fitting bra. 

A good fitter will see what she is dealing with and know her inventory and what will likely work best for you. 

Over the years, I know that Elomi, Fantastie and Prima Donna are usually a good bet to start with. Alot of bra makers don't go up to a 36H in UK sizing so I am a bit limited. However I needed a strapless bra for a gown that I was wearing for my sister's wedding. I found that a Curvy Kate was the best fit. That was after I had tried strapless bras in my usual brands. My fitter at the boutique I usually shop at had suggested that I try it. If it wasn’t for her knowledge and going in for a fitting, I would have not been nearly as happy about how I felt and looked for my sister's big day!

I have never had a fitter question my need for a bra.  She always recognized the fact that I had breasts and needed support. 

Sophie ❤️ 

Gino

I've used it before and it puts me in a C cup and a C swims on me. With a rare exception I'm a full solid 36B in every style and make I own. A very few B cups are too large on me, but as I continue to grow they will come in handy.

bikerbob

I've used it before and it puts me in a C cup and a C swims on me. With a rare exception I'm a full solid 36B in every style and make I own. A very few B cups are too large on me, but as I continue to grow they will come in handy.
If you are like me, you may have as much boob under your arms as you do on your chest.  When you swoop and scoop everything into an underwire bra, you probably are a C cup.  A while back, I found a brand new molded cup bra in a thrift store in a hard to find 42B size and was disappointed to find that I didn't come close to filling the cups, but I fill up a 42C underwire nicely.  My wife can wear a 42C wired or non wired interchangeably but I can't.  This is why these calculators don't always work for men.

Offline taxmapper

Like everyone one else I found out the difference as well. 

When I measure, I am still 44 inches at the band but now at 50 inches.  Technically that's 6 inches, making me well past a D cup, but I barely hit a "B" full up. 

Which at this moment is a bit disappointing to me. 

But I do have a fair amount of side boob going on which accounts for the drastic difference.   

I did try a C cup underwire but it simply didnt take very well.   

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
Tax mapper i have exactly the same measure ments and have same problem
 I cant find an underwire that I can fill the cups. I even went to a 44a nd still short I even thought about breast forms. got a set but stick out too much
 now I stick with my 2x sports bras and have know problem. yes you dont quite get the same support but it works for me

I would like to try one of those brands that have half size but i have an old program and it wont let me see or order. so I stick with what I got

aboywithgirls

Based on the responses to this thread, I am starting to form a theory.

Not sure about this but, please hear me out. I am thinking that breast shape, how it forms, how much we have , and their overall appearance may be dependent on how much estrogen that our bodies are exposed to during puberty. I know a few others besides me have spoken about having a more female than male puberty. 

I do have some side boob but my breasts are very typical for a woman of my age. 

Like I said, it's only a theory. 

Love you guys 
Sophie❤️

Orb

Yes the calculators can be troublesome.  For a year and a half my left side was almost a half cup smaller.  I found staying away from a molded cup was better.  I have now grown to enjoy the thinner material in an underwire that conforms to my shape.  Those with spacer foam are second to them for me but do work well.  If needed nipple covers work well.  Its crazy after a long time of uneven breast both have grown in the last 6 months with the right catching up with the left also. 
Look at and try, Wacoal visual effects minimizer, the halo lace, the elevated allure and the basic beauty full figure seamless.
I have tried them all on and all work nicely and allow for a slight variation in unevenness if you will.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024