Author Topic: Post Op Questions  (Read 1618 times)

Offline MarcMCFC1986

• Posting Member
Hi All

So, I'm in for surgery on the 15th October and, obviously, I'm very excited.

However, obviously, I have a few questions. I know I can ask them in my pre-op, but thought I'd see if you guys who have actually had the surgery can offer some advice:

1. What sort of support should I arrange at home in the first 2-3 days? I have booked 2 weeks off work, but my girlfriend will be at work during the days so I will be home alone for the first 3 days. Should I go and stay with my parents?

2. When can I be up and around, and go out for the day? I get serious cabin fever after a day or two anyway, so want to go out and do something with my time off (like go buy some new clothes that I don't feel embarrassed wearing!)

3. When can I drink alcohol? I have an annual ball with my work, which is a really posh, black tie event (with a free bar) so obviously really want to go, but it is only 9 days after my op so not sure if it would be a good idea to go or not?

4. How long until I look 'normal' in clothes etc.? I have read before that it can take 6 months for everything to be completely sorted, but not sure exactly what that means? Will my chest be flat straight away, but the bruising will take a while to go down?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Marc

Offline macman213

• Bronze Member
Hey Marc,

I'll answer them based upon my last two experiences:

1. It would be best to go stay at your parents. I would say the first 2 days are the roughest as far as recovery, where you might still be on pain meds and at the very least sore enough that you are going to want some help with stuff. Its important that you walk around though as its helpful for recovery. It my opinion Day 3 and on was exponentially easier.

2. I was up and around the day after surgery, in my house. I don't know that I would feel comfortable being outside, vulnerable, after surgery within the first 2 days. That said, per above, every day things get much easier and Day 4 I was back at work (office job). If you're taking two weeks off, you'll definitely be able to be up and about (I'm 11 days post op and more than fine, except reaching up). Shopping for new clothes might be tough as you want to keep arm movement generally a little more limited (i.e.: trying on a lot of shirts might not be the best idea... .but talk to your PS

3. While I think they say once you're off pain meds you can drink alcohol, I gave myself a week after that just for optimal healing.

4. I think you'll probably look 'normal' once the vest and compression garments are off around week 6. While you might still have some swelling, with clothes on it should make a difference. The bruising will vary from person to person, but if you take it easy during, at the very least, your first week and don't aggravate things, it should be minimal within 10 days (again, thats me).

Hope that helps!

Offline MarcMCFC1986

• Posting Member
Hi Macman

Thanks for your reply, that was a great help!

Hope your recovery is going well, and you get the results you hope for!

Marc

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024