Author Topic: Getting back to work at aphysical job after surgery  (Read 4424 times)

Offline tommyc

Does anyone have an experience to share, or info on recovery from surgery and getting back to a physical job? I do electrical type work.....construction
this is a big issue for me as I need to work. Is a week to ten days long enough to go back to limited duty...what would the limitations be. Lots of questions
any responses are appreciated. 

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
ya i have the same question. my job is not extremely physical but there is a little bit of heavy lifting. i guess the good news is that i only have gyno in one side so if i get the surgery (hopefully!), i can still use my other arm to do as much lifting as i need
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You should be good to go at the 10-14 day mark. However, take it easy and don't lift too much. I'd say limited (30-50 lbs.) lifting for a good 4 weeks at least...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline tommyc

Thanks for the replies guys, Jordan 55, good luck with that surgery when you get it, Grandpa Bamboo thanks for the wisdom I'm looking forward to surgery also I'll just have to plan it over a vacation + holiday so I can get to that 10-14 day mark for time off.

Offline jtd993

• Posting Member
I went back to work on post-op day 3 but not physical work.  I get to sit a lot.  I had mine on a Friday and that was Monday- the following Monday would've been day 10 and could've done some light physical work.  You have to take it easy and if something hurts stop.  If you want to be secretive about it postop (as most of us are) you could use the excuse that you hurt your back.

Day 19 in the gym with "old lady weights".  I just didn't want to lose any muscle by not working out.  Just let my body tell me what I could do and I did fine.

At 4 weeks could do pullups, etc... I felt 95%

I'm 36 and may heal slower than someone in their 20s.  I can still see some bruising still!

Good luck with surgery!

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
I felt fine for any activity after 2 weeks, but waited the recommended 3 weeks before hitting the gym. I think you'll be fine for electrical work in 10-14 days.

Offline tomo

• Posting Member
i too work on the supply industry.Had two weeks off then went back climbing and everything.Bit sore but no prob,just put compression vest back on when you get home.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
just put compression vest back on when you get home.

Good advice there...  That's what I did also. No compression at work but wore the tensor at night when I was home.

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024