Author Topic: Should I lose weight first before seeking a solution to Gynecomastia?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline DontNeedToKnow

Okay so i am almost positive i have at least some gynecomastia. I am just not sure to what degree. I am 18 and i have had puffy nipples and large man breasts since i was like 11 or 12. I am a decent bit overweight though; i am 6 foot 2 and about 260 pounds. I saw my physician about it when I was like 13-14 and I remember him looking at them for a few minutes but didnt really give me an answer. He told me that chest exercises would help and they would probably go away in time. So now 4 years later they are about the same as they were back then, i think. I am already planning to lose some weight but i am not sure or not if i should seek a solution to the gyno before or after i do that. They bother me A LOT! I worry about them all the time, and when i was in school people bothered me about them all the time. So what should i do? Should i lose weight first and see if it improves? or should i go ahead and see what my current physician says about them?

Offline hypo123

• Posting Member
If you have true Gynecomastia losing weight will not make it go away.  Gynecomastia refers to the "lumps" of glandular tissue underneath your areolas.

But, I would still recommend losing weight and getting in shape before considering surgery.  For one, I think your body will heal better if you are in good health, and two I think you'll be happier with your results if you lose weight beforehand.

If you are overweight then you probably have a lot of excess fat making your chest look even worse.  Losing weight and workout out to build up chest muscle will most likely improve the look of your chest quite a bit, and the surgery will take care of the gland and finish the job.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is best to lose weight first -- until you are at a comfortable and stable weight.  Your gyne may diminish slightly -- but it will not disappear entirely.  Exercising will help to build your muscles as well -- so that your "new" chest will have a muscular shape.  However, you will probably still require surgery to get the best possible result.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DontNeedToKnow

Offline lch6257

Had surgery for gynecomastia Nov 30. I started at 5' 11" 306 lbs Summer 2010. I dropped to 210 by Nov 2012, the hard slow and proper way, changed diet, exercised 10 hours a week. Had the surgery. Before surgery I was hopeful that all my exercise and muscle development would result in the muscular look I always wanted. My dreams were realized......My plastic surgery office staff were all insistent that the best results are always obtained by those that lose the weight first. I can also say that once you finally get your chest to look right, I have been a lot more obsessive now about finishing my physique by tightening up my midsection. This area you can win, with gynecomastia, it is a losing battle that only surgery could fix for me. Good luck and my best advice is do it all sooner than later, I am 44 and wish I would have done this all 15 years ago, but honestly I don't think the experience with the procedures were there then that they have now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024