Author Topic: South FL consult yesterday... need input/suggestions w/PHOTOS!  (Read 5706 times)

Offline tunguska

• Posting Member
I'm 26, 6'3", 179 lbs. and I've had gynecomastia for approximately 5-6 years.  Today I saw Dr. Tal Roudner (he's the nephew of the site's namesake).  He was personable enough and very thorough (even insisted on checking my testicles for abnormalities and fortunately found none).  He quoted me $3,635.00.

My concerns are as follows:
(1) He only showed me photos of two cases and, although I realize not every patient consents to photo displays, it seemed he did not perform the surgery frequently.  The web site also does not have a gynecomastia reduction section—this may speak to how few of these the practice actually performs.  The practice seems overall geared more toward women and enhancements by means other than reduction (typical South Beach crowd seeking implants and housewives in need of lipo... not that there's anything wrong with that).
(2) He strongly advocated performing UAL along with standard liposuction and said he considered excision as a last resort.  Although I understand this to be less invasive and possible less painful it seems from what I've read that it can also lead to recurrence, something I would hope not to face after spending close to $4,000.

What do you guys think?  I'm sure the simplest answer is "don't go with a surgeon unless you're comfortable" but it seems there's a marked shortage of gynecomastia surgeons in South Florida.  I plan to make an appointment with at least one or two other South Florida surgeons, possibly Dr. Gregory Lovaas.

I'd appreciate both members' and doctors' input on my gynecomastia, the situation, and any surgeon recommendations.  Below are the pics of my gyne.  Thanks for any feedback!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
He may be a bit out of your way, But you might check out Dr. Pope in Orlando. He is one of us and has had the surgery himself.
Grandpa Dan

Offline tunguska

• Posting Member
He may be a bit out of your way, But you might check out Dr. Pope in Orlando. He is one of us and has had the surgery himself.

I've seen his posts and I've considered it but it may be too far.  I'd prefer to stick to South Florida, especially since the window I may have to get this done in December/January will be limited.  Thanks for the advice though.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
He is probably still worth a phone call or a personal message here. Perhaps he could recommend someone nearer to your location.

Offline ineedsurgery

• Bronze Member
im down here in south florida myself and im saving up for surgery 2 so i know how u feel...i know its hard finding a good dr to get surgery from and Dr. Pope is kinda far. but honestly hes one of the best gyne surgeons out there and a 3-4 hr drive shouldnt be that bad for something that is gonna change ur life man. if ur in florida Dr. Pope should be the guy ur going to

Offline tunguska

• Posting Member
im down here in south florida myself and im saving up for surgery 2 so i know how u feel...i know its hard finding a good dr to get surgery from and Dr. Pope is kinda far. but honestly hes one of the best gyne surgeons out there and a 3-4 hr drive shouldnt be that bad for something that is gonna change ur life man. if ur in florida Dr. Pope should be the guy ur going to

It has taken a few days to digest my first and only consult but I'm beginning to agree.  I don't want to be operated on by a surgeon who happens to perform gynecomastia surgery—I want to be operated on by a surgeon who specializes in or is known for his gyne work.  In that vein, Dr. Pope seems to be the go-to guy.

Nevertheless, I'm not planning on having the surgery until March '09 since I have plans this winter and need a window during a solid break from school.  In the meantime I'll be exploring options in this neck of the woods.  I'm optimistic but would not be surprised (or upset) if I end up going with Dr. Pope.

-t

Offline hyperballad

• Posting Member
Hey I'm from south Florida and I recently had surgery. Check out Dr. Garramone. Not sure where you are located but he is right by the Sawgrass mall. He's good and confident in his work. He specializes in breasts. His website is http://transgenderflorida.com/
Don't worry about that website name lol...
I only had to have one side done which was $4,500.

Offline tunguska

• Posting Member
Hey I'm from south Florida and I recently had surgery. Check out Dr. Garramone. Not sure where you are located but he is right by the Sawgrass mall. He's good and confident in his work. He specializes in breasts. His website is http://transgenderflorida.com/
Don't worry about that website name lol...
I only had to have one side done which was $4,500.
Sounds like something I may investigate.

In the meantime, I visited Dr. Lovaas.  The office is brand new and beautiful (new building).  His staff was great and he was very personable.  He answered all my questions and, although there were some technical kinks to work out around the new office, the appointment went smoothly.  His quote is the highest I've encountered.  He prefers lipo with UAL initially and the price for that is reasonable.  Excision costs almost $2,000 extra (even if you insist he perform excision at the time of lipo).  Price is a factor, but expertise is a bigger one and I seriously doubt I will have my surgery with Dr. Lovaas.

I actually scheduled surgery with Dr. Pope in early January and I'm very excited!! ;D  I'll journey up to Orlando (~4hr drive) in early December for a meet-and-greet and a hands on physical examination.  Dr. Pope and his office staff have been great so far—very thorough and accommodating in answering my questions.

It is a shame that so many gents in South Florida have difficulty finding local surgeons.  The culprit is likely the lack of a steady demand for this type of surgery.  Plenty of people in South Florida want their breasts done, just not the way we do.  Dr. Pope's fees are in the general range of most local surgeons and you may end up spending more on the drive and hotel, but don't short change yourself!  Whether you know it or not, you want someone who is known for gynecomastia surgery, not a surgeon who happens to perform the surgery because he is trained in plastic surgery.  If you are fortunate to have the means I recommend going to the best, most respected surgeon in the field.  (It's also encouraging that Dr. Pope is an invaluable member of this forum!)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

-t

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Hey, thanks for the kind words.   :D  I look forward to meeting you in early December.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024