Author Topic: How large a cut around the areola for gland removal?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline needtofixg

• Posting Member

Can anyone tell me how large of a cut is made around the Areola to remove the gland( possible lipo from the same cut if possible) ?

I read on a website that a good doctor could do from 4 O'clock to 8 O'clock position around the areola.

Can anyone confirm this or generally use a larger or smaller incision for this?

Is this still required if your surgeon uses Ultrasonic liposuction or VASER which is said to be able to remove the gland as well?

Does anyone have some detailed close up pictures of what the scar will look like so we can get a good idea? Many pictures online are poor resolution and small pictures or from too far away to see anything.

Thanks.

Offline nick24

• Bronze Member

DrBermant

Can anyone tell me how large of a cut is made around the Areola to remove the gland( possible lipo from the same cut if possible) ?

I read on a website that a good doctor could do from 4 O'clock to 8 O'clock position around the areola.

Can anyone confirm this or generally use a larger or smaller incision for this?

Is this still required if your surgeon uses Ultrasonic liposuction or VASER which is said to be able to remove the gland as well?

Does anyone have some detailed close up pictures of what the scar will look like so we can get a good idea? Many pictures online are poor resolution and small pictures or from too far away to see anything.

Thanks.

I prefer a much smaller incision.  My typical incision for gynecomastia is about 1.6cm. The incision length can extend larger for problems like Male Mastopexy Chest Lift where I am about at 2cm.  However, each side and each patient can vary.  I am able to remove a very large gynecomastia gland from a small incision

You can see graphic Pictures During my Gynecomastia Surgery here.  Depending on the size of the areola, this is often only from about 5 O'clock to 7 O'clock or less.

Ultrasonic and Vaser Liposuction will not remove gland.  I have see many, many patients coming to me for Revision of gynecomastia for failure of liposuction to remove gland by other doctor.  I have even revised unhappy patients from doctors who wrote articles in journals claiming that Ultrasonic Liposuction could manage gland.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The peri-areolar incision must be made sufficiently long enough so that the surgeon can peer inside and insert his instruments.  The exact length varies with each patient.  For example, if you measure the 4 to 8 o'clock length of a person whose areola is very large, that length will be longer than the patient with a much smaller areola.  It truly is not important how long the incision is -- what is important is how it heals -- and most peri-areolar scars heal so well that they are hard to find.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024