Author Topic: Still can't tell my mom...  (Read 20198 times)

Offline leafhead

• Posting Member
It's always a good idea to educate your audience on a subject before you try to sell it. You and I know what it feels like to have this, and that it is a medical condition. Try posting a link to this site on your email. There are also some eye opening videos on youtube.
Best of luck.

Offline patriot389

• Posting Member
I went through the same thing, and once i finally did, it was a great feeling.  she was very accepting.  I am only 19, and i was at away school.  I sent an e-mail asking her to make a doctors appointment for me.  she called and asked why, I then explained everything over the phone.  she was just as determined to schedule the surgery as I was, and I was very thankful for that.

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
I told my parents about 3 times already, once like 5 years ago and then another time like 3 and the last time was like a month ago and they kind of ignored me....they think its normal and I was laughed at, yes laughed at and now I am just gonna take the problem into my own hands. I really dont need their money or anything just wanted their support but they decided the best way was to make fun of the situation and tell me that I am making things up. So yea now I am gonna have the surgery in a total secret....some parents are awesome, and they understand and are willing to help with support and surgery but then some are total a-holes about the whole thing and they ignore you.... and my parents fall into that second category....
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline booty_frijoles

• Posting Member
Wow, Copespo that sucks hardcore man!

I'm 17 here, exactly like most ppl here I've been hiding it for years and I'm just now trying to get up the courage to talk about it. I'm hoping to get it all out in the open by the end of this week so I can get the surgery and put this all behind.

I have a plan here tho....so I told my mom to make an appt with my doctor so I could talk to him about my wrist, cuz my wrist has been hurting from lifting weights and stuff. I plan on asking him about the gyne and hopefully we can talk about it and discuss options. Then I plan to talk to my mom about it, along with the doctor so he can kinda help out. I'm hoping this works well.

Wish me luck everybody!

Offline jimbob1988

• Bronze Member
Send an email tell your mum/dad you've sent them an email, go out. Then when you come back they will approach you! Trust me man (im 20) I feel soooo much better having done something and I thought about it everyday for like 4 years or something - so your not alone. Just do it, send the email and its done.

Offline Tallguy

• Posting Member

It's tough for parents, ESPECIALLY mothers, to accept that there might be something wrong with one of their children. Or a condition that causes them embarrassment, or low self esteem.

I went to my folks and told them I wanted to have this operation. Mom Started crying. Dad came to me later and told me "It would really hurt your mother if something were to go wrong with the operation." My dad had so many different operations that he looked like a zipper. It was OK for him to go under go the knife but not me.

So I waited. ( I'm 53 years old)  My parents passed away 5 years ago. I had the surgery done 2 years ago in August. I feel so much better. I am coming to grip my weight issue (Low self-esteem) I got down to the desired weight for the operation (Walking/diet/no alcohol) I put the wight back on. But I am ready to make changes for the long term now.

I went to 5 different surgeons here on the west coast seeking opinions.

I chose Dr. Delgado in Novato, California. He did a great Job. He performs the operation last 50 times a year. He knows what he is doing. I highly recommend him. His staff is excellent!

You younger guys, don't wait until your in your 30's, 40's, 50's to get this done. You only have one life.
Everyone deserves happiness!!

Go talk to your parents. Be upfront, direct and honest with them. If they realize this really bothers you, then they should be willing to help you out.

Good luck!!

Tallguy 

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Kerpal,

I don't think I will ever tell my parents.  It is not something I think that they need to know.  I am 27.  I am close to my parents but I do not live with them or anywhere near them.  If I told my parents, they would not understand.  They would think it was excessive, luxurious, dangerous and I think it would generally confuse them. 

I don't want them to worry about me.  There is nothing that they can do to help me.  I have told about 5 close friends and they have all been supportive. 

M

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Kerpal,

Have you made any progress on telling your mother or finding some funding for the surgery? 

How much do you estimate your surgery will cost?  Have you been to a surgeon? 

Mark

Offline mc88

• Posting Member
I sent an email to my mom a few weeks ago, saying I was maybe going to get a hold of a doctor because I noticed some lumps in my chest that have been getting worse over the years and that I thought it was gyne. (I tried my best not to say that there pretty much puffy nipples) And that I was embarassed to talk to her about it and with anyone else and for her not to mention it ot anyone. Im 20 and Im also in college.
I also mentioned how i read that its easy to be taken care of with surgery and stuff.

She emailed me back and asked why I didnt bring it up sooner and that I should go see my family doctor about it. She said theres nothing to be embarassed about. and she said I shouldnt diagnose the problem myelf (even though I know its what I have). Then I emailed her back saying ya I'd definitely go see a doctor and stuff, and explained how gyne isnt a serious thing. Its just been embarassing to me and stuff, but she never really responded, maybe she looked up what gyne was on the internet and thought it wasnt a big deal. Im going home this weekend so I'll see if she brings it up. If she does then I'll be happy to show her, but I dont think I'm going to bring it up to her again until I know i'll have time to go see a doctor about it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024