Author Topic: Gyno self test doesn not show a gland, but yet my chest protrudes?  (Read 21319 times)

Offline renegade

• Posting Member
hi guys, Im new here and did not see something like this posted before so I am gonna ask anyways..This is my situation.

I am currently overweight, and both my nipples are puffy, and my chest protrudes out a little.

Now, I tried the gyno test before where I lay down and put my thumb and forefinger on the outer part of my aerola and pinched it. The test states  that if  your fingers can meet then there is no gland and it could just be pseudo gyno and if the fingers cant meet because of a lump behind the nipple then that is the gland and it is gyno. For my case, my fingers can meet in the middle. I also saw some gyno images and it seems that the gland is directly behind the nipple. Since my fingers meet when i press them together, a gland cant be there right?

Also, I put my hands behind my head and stretched my arms back, and my chest flattens itself out. That is also a sign that there is no gyno right?

Next, I have tried taking large pinches from the area around my nipples and I can feel something there.However, I think its part of my chest muscles because when I press my fingers on that area and flex my chest, I can feel the muscle underneath so i dont think thats a gland either.

So my questions are:

1) Does puffy nipples ALWAYS have to mean gyno? or are some guys nipples just generally larger and puffy?

2) In the event that i do have gyno, can I work out to get my body fat levels as low as possible and will it reduce the look of the gyno? Because the way I see it, dropping bodyfat levels will burn off the chest fat as well leaving only the gland area which is not that big anyways.

I am confused because I cannot feel the gland and yet my nipples are puffy and my chest protrudes outwards. Not too much, but the area surrounding my nipples protrude out.

Thanks alot for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

Offline BoneBleached

• Posting Member
  • Even Fools Are Right Sometimes.
2) In the event that i do have gyno, can I work out to get my body fat levels as low as possible and will it reduce the look of the gyno? Because the way I see it, dropping bodyfat levels will burn off the chest fat as well leaving only the gland area which is not that big anyways.

For this all I can say is that getting in better shape will make you look better ALL around including your chest, would you rather be fat with gyne or in shape with it? And have you put any pics up in the user photos section? This could really help you get better  opinions on this.
Tired of being that one link that just cant break

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
The glandular self test you used is not very accurate.  I have found surgically that there are different types of glandular tissue behind the areola.  Some are very hard and firm and some are very soft and spongy. This makes these tests unreliable. To answer your question, puffy nipples are ususally caused by very localized glandular tissue located directly behind the areola.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:43:47 PM by Dr. Cruise »
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline renegade

• Posting Member
Thank you for the replies. here is the link where I posted my picture, maybe you could advise me better there: http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20880.0

Offline renegade

• Posting Member
And yes, I would definitely rather be fit. Im wondering that based on how my chest looks in the pic, when I lose weight and tone up will it help reduce the look of the gyno? based on experience or other peoples stories what would you think about it?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The definition of gynecomastia is that of "excessive tissue on a male chest."  It may be gland, fat or as in most cases, both.  Many times the appearance of puffy nipples alone will indicate breast tissue directly beneath the nipple.

It is a fool's errand to try to determine what tissue is there by self exam.  Even in my hands, I cannot tell exactly how much gland is present except in rare cases.

What is important is to get to your best possible and most stable weight -- and then look in the mirror.  If there seems to be disproportionate amount of tissue on your chest, then you should at least consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

hi guys, Im new here and did not see something like this posted before so I am gonna ask anyways..This is my situation.

I am currently overweight, and both my nipples are puffy, and my chest protrudes out a little.

Now, I tried the gyno test before where I lay down and put my thumb and forefinger on the outer part of my aerola and pinched it. The test states  that if  your fingers can meet then there is no gland and it could just be pseudo gyno and if the fingers cant meet because of a lump behind the nipple then that is the gland and it is gyno. For my case, my fingers can meet in the middle. I also saw some gyno images and it seems that the gland is directly behind the nipple. Since my fingers meet when i press them together, a gland cant be there right?

Also, I put my hands behind my head and stretched my arms back, and my chest flattens itself out. That is also a sign that there is no gyno right?

Next, I have tried taking large pinches from the area around my nipples and I can feel something there.However, I think its part of my chest muscles because when I press my fingers on that area and flex my chest, I can feel the muscle underneath so i dont think thats a gland either.

So my questions are:

1) Does puffy nipples ALWAYS have to mean gyno? or are some guys nipples just generally larger and puffy?

I am confused because I cannot feel the gland and yet my nipples are puffy and my chest protrudes outwards. Not too much, but the area surrounding my nipples protrude out.

Thanks alot for the help guys, i really appreciate it.

Gynecomastia is a contour problem, female like breasts in men. Male Breast Exam is not a reliable tool to differentiate fat from gland. Fat tends to be soft, gland tends to be firm.  Fingers of gland often dissect between fingers of fat.  Look at this drawing and move your mouse over the arrows.  However, gland can be soft and fat firm confusing the picture.  Gland tends to be located under the nipple and pinching pressure can sometimes tether to the nipple pulling it in.

Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia Anatomy can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both.  Sometimes skin and sagging tissues can be a factor.  Pseudo Gynecomastia Pseudogynecomastia) is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.  So do you have Pseudo gynecomastia when there is a 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% deformity from fat?  Reality just does not work that way.

Wearing extra fat is not healthy.  Check out your risks with a BMI Calculator (Body Mass Index). Unfortunately, BMI does not take into account muscle mass vs. fat.  Body Fat Analyzers can help define that issue.

Weight Loss can help with the fat component of gynecomastia. Residual gland and sometimes skin can remain contour problems after losing weight.  Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

Non-Surgical Body Shaping for Gynecomastia

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline renegade

• Posting Member
hello again,

Im sorry I hadn't been clear earlier.. I actually dont mind if its pseudo gyno. I know diet and weight loss can get rid of it (at least most of it) and I am currently working on it..

If the gland is small, I really do not mind it staying there once the fat is burnt off. At least my chest and body will look much better as a whole. If for some reason i am still dissatisfied then I will certainly get the surgery done.

I have been overweight most of my life and have slimmed down in the past only to gain it back. Now, back when i was slimmer I had bought a couple of shirts that fit me properly. Now, i cannot fit into those shirts because the chest is bigger and the buttons cannot be buttoned up there (as well as my stomach of course)

the thing to point out is i bought those shirts in 2006. i was 20 at the time. Now I am 24. I have never done steroids and other drugs. So that leads me to believe that from 2006 to now, I have gotten fatter all over my body thats why the shirts cant fit. meaning regardless of whether there is a gland on my chest the problem now is that there has been an accumulation of extra adipose tissue. i have passed puberty and no drug use so nothing else can explain it right?

Anyways I am working on losing the weight now, and will be able to make a better judgement once all the weight has been burnt off and the muscles have been built. I do not think it will be a problem then because if it just makes my chest stick out a little bit Im fine with it. as long as it is not the same size it is now. Some of Dr.Bermants pictures show a man who had lost weight before surgery and his weight loss is fine with me. Even if my chest looks like how his did after weight loss pre surgery its all good. I just dont like the way it looks now.

DrBermant

hello again,

Im sorry I hadn't been clear earlier.. I actually dont mind if its pseudo gyno. I know diet and weight loss can get rid of it (at least most of it) and I am currently working on it..

If the gland is small, I really do not mind it staying there once the fat is burnt off. At least my chest and body will look much better as a whole. If for some reason i am still dissatisfied then I will certainly get the surgery done.

I have been overweight most of my life and have slimmed down in the past only to gain it back. Now, back when i was slimmer I had bought a couple of shirts that fit me properly. Now, i cannot fit into those shirts because the chest is bigger and the buttons cannot be buttoned up there (as well as my stomach of course)

the thing to point out is i bought those shirts in 2006. i was 20 at the time. Now I am 24. I have never done steroids and other drugs. So that leads me to believe that from 2006 to now, I have gotten fatter all over my body thats why the shirts cant fit. meaning regardless of whether there is a gland on my chest the problem now is that there has been an accumulation of extra adipose tissue. i have passed puberty and no drug use so nothing else can explain it right?

Anyways I am working on losing the weight now, and will be able to make a better judgement once all the weight has been burnt off and the muscles have been built. I do not think it will be a problem then because if it just makes my chest stick out a little bit Im fine with it. as long as it is not the same size it is now. Some of Dr.Bermants pictures show a man who had lost weight before surgery and his weight loss is fine with me. Even if my chest looks like how his did after weight loss pre surgery its all good. I just dont like the way it looks now.

That is why weight loss is the best first step. Feeling better about the body and life are the most important issues. Learning what compromises work best will vary from person to person.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline BoneBleached

• Posting Member
  • Even Fools Are Right Sometimes.
If you start working out not only will you start looking better but you will feel better, The first few months of this year I was hitting the gym up hard, slacked off for about 1.5 months and drastically got out of shape, due to shutting down and moving, but even my diet changed, started drinking alot of soda and eating just straight garbage, I've been back in the gym now for a few days and already feel so much better about myself.

Sometimes it's hard to find that motivation, but one thing that really motivated me was I would look at myself in the mirror with my shirt off and imagine that I was going to have to go to the beach soon, That was enough motivation for me.

Offline renegade

• Posting Member
hello again everyone, thanks for the motivation and I am now diligently working out everyday. i do have another 2 questions though, sorry for the amount of questions I am just trying to familiarize myself with the situation

When i did the self test again, i pressed in a little deeper and true enough i have a very small firm tissue there, probably the gland. I can feel it more on the left side though since my right side looks exactly like it i probably have it there too. so my questions are:

1) the gland is very small. And I think if I lose the fat off, it would barely make my chest protrude right?

UNLESS

2) there is more than one gland in each side. Is that possible?

Thak you once again everyone.

DrBermant

hello again everyone, thanks for the motivation and I am now diligently working out everyday. i do have another 2 questions though, sorry for the amount of questions I am just trying to familiarize myself with the situation

When i did the self test again, i pressed in a little deeper and true enough i have a very small firm tissue there, probably the gland. I can feel it more on the left side though since my right side looks exactly like it i probably have it there too. so my questions are:

1) the gland is very small. And I think if I lose the fat off, it would barely make my chest protrude right?

UNLESS

2) there is more than one gland in each side. Is that possible?

Thak you once again everyone.

As you can see in the Anatomy of Gynecomastia, fingers of gland course through fingers of fat. This process can result in filmy like gland extensions that radiate towards the nipple. That, coupled by gland sometimes being soft and fat firm, is why it is so difficult to tell gland from fat on clinical examination.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024