Author Topic: Hospital Removed Wrong Testicle During Cancer Surgery  (Read 2184 times)

Offline TigerPaws

I really dislike sounding like a broken record but surgical mistakes happen. The question is not "if" a mistake happens, the question is will it happen to you?

Any kind of surgery carries a risk and while the gentleman in this story needed surgery the surgeons have left him neutered at 48.

LONDON (CBSDC) — A British man is suing a hospital after surgeons removed the wrong testicle during cancer surgery.

The U.K. Metro reports doctors realized the mistake about 40 minutes after the initial surgery and tried to correct the mistake in an emergency procedure to no avail.

“The matter is in the hands of my solicitor,” the unnamed man said. “She is about to issue proceedings now.”

A patient watchdog group is calling for an investigation into the surgical mistake.

“This is a tragic thing to have happened,” Phil Matthews, chairman of the Wiltshire Involvement Network, told Metro. “With this type of operation men need confidence they can put their trust fully in the hospital.”

The Salisbury District Hospital has offered an apology to the 48-year-old man.

“We have received notification from solicitors of pending legal action,” the Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust told the British publication. “This is a regrettable incident and the trust once again offers its sincere apologies to the patient.”

The man now fears that he will be unable to have children.

- See more washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/man-sues-hospital-after-wrong-testicle-removed-during-cancer-surgery/#sthash.zkm0wpsH.dpuf  

No matter how sincere the apology, no matter how much money you may or may not get, the question remains is a purely cosmetic surgery for gyno worth the risk?  

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
So?

You can get a concussion playing ice hockey. You can get hit and killed walking down the road. You can die from parachuting.

We get it. Surgery, sometimes like cosmetic - is not something you HAVE to do. So why take the chance?

Yeah - so then why play sports, fly on an airplane or even leave your house if it's not absolutely necessary.

There are many, many ways to kill or injure or disfigure yourself.

In my mind, having surgery ONE time, maybe TWO in your life is better odds than driving a car 365 days a year with all the tired, drunk, texting and new drivers out there.

So while your point, and argument is valid - I feel you are picking on a subject that is miniscule compared to the dangers everyone faces, everyday in their life.

Offline jazzer

• Posting Member
Life is a risk. Gynecomastia has ruined the lives of many men over the years, taking away confidence and self-esteem. It is an acceptable risk to have surgery IMO. It was the second best decision I ever made. Marrying my wife was first. 

hammer

Life is a risk. Gynecomastia has ruined the lives of many men over the years, taking away confidence and self-esteem. It is an acceptable risk to have surgery IMO. It was the second best decision I ever made. Marrying my wife was first.  

Your young yet! Only two good decisions on your count so far, LOL!

No all BS aside, you guys are right! Life is short and we don't need to hide in a safe afread to step out of it because a mistake MIGHT happen!

As far as the focus on the first post as men one may think it is the worse thing that can happen to you!
OMG I have been CASTERATED! Well in reality life goes on. I lost my boys in 94-95 and I am here to tell you there are a lot of other body part I would hate to lose more! You come to learn as you get older that sex is over rated anyway, and one of the last things you need to make a GOOD relationship work.

On the other hand I am here to tell you that you can live a very successful life with big breast as well! I had the gynecomastia before they grow to the double Ds that they did and I owned a construction company before I became disabled.  I had a good self esteem and confidence, so that did help me.

If you feel you need to have surgery to move on with life, I say go for it! Be sure to do your home work, understand that you will have scars, and that it may not come out perfect in your eyes. There is no such thing as projection!

If accepting the breast is the way to go, the is fine to! As I said, no one is perfect! In fact 60% of the males will have some form of gynecomastia at some time in their life. That is a majority, which sounds more like the normal thing to happen then the weird thing to go through.

Well, I need to see my back doctor again today. OMG maybe more back surgery! It could end up being a mistake, or maybe I could have a little or even a lot less pain! Well that is a risk I will be willing to take too! Chronic pain is no fun! If nothing else I would like to try pain clinic, my ability to handle the pain is going down hill.

I would like to ask that everyone try to support each other, and learn that life is not perfect, but by lifting each other up through support it can make it easier!

God bless each and everyone,
Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024