Author Topic: Surgery Success  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Punta

• Bronze Member
I am 4 days post op after having large amounts of breast tissue removed on each side. I did not need any liposuction as the problem was purely glandular.

I had my surgery on the Gold Coast with a very well respected plastic/cosmetic surgeon. I saw 3 others however the last surgeon I saw was the one I went with. He was the most expensive ($4500 - surgeons fee only) but like anything you get what you pay for. My advice, have a couple of consulations with different surgeons until you are totally comfortable. Find one who has experience in the procedure (mine does about 20 per year).

My bruising and swelling is really on minimal and has subsided a great deal in the past 24 hours. Drains in for 2 days, didn;t bleed much and did not hurt at all coming out. After the op, juiced up on 2 shots of pethadene, didn't feel a thing, just a bit uncomfortable. Oral painkillers for 2 days only, got off them as made me too drowsy and didn;t feel I needed them.

Can now get myself out of bed, dress myself, etc. Will say though without a supportive wife would have been in strife the first couple of days. My wife has been amazing, she even worked extra shifts the past 12 months and paid for my surgery, she is awesome.

A run down on costs

Dr consulation - $185 ($70 back on medicare)
Surgeons fee - $4500 ($700 back combined medicare/private insurance)
Aneathitist - $700 ($250 back on medicare)
Day surgery fees - Covered totally by private insurance (HCF)

I have about 8 appointments over the next 6 weeks which are for drains out, massages, dressing changes, follow up with surgeon. These are all included in the surgeons initial fee so no more out of pocket.

I have researched gynecomastia for some years and know a fair bit about it. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. One thing I will say is most cases are glandular and fat, not just glandular like mine. If you see a surgeon who recommends lipo only, get a second opinion, and then a third!!!

Overall, although early days very happy with what I see so far.

Good luck.

Offline cky2k

• Bronze Member
got an pics? im lookin at gettin surgery done soon.

Offline adelaideman22

• Posting Member
was the operation through the nipple? or under arm?

Offline Punta

• Bronze Member
Incision was made along the under side of the nipple. Scarring is not even noticeable. Am concerned however about some scar tissue build up under the incision site which is causing some puffyness in the nipple. Apparently is very common and will subside. If it doesn't subside is treatable with injections of Kenalog to break it up. Is only about the size of a 10cent piece .

Offline adelaideman22

• Posting Member
any photos?

Offline Punta

• Bronze Member
The surgeon has them on file, didn;t take any myself. May try to get them and if I do will post.

Offline Joshie

• Posting Member
Punta, I'm planning on having a consultation with Dr Peter Widdonwson, did you need a referral from your local GP? Below are a few pic's of my Gyno, not having seen your before and after photos, would you think I was a candidate for just the surgery like yourself? Or do you think maybe some lypo is needed as well?

Thanks,

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,11846.0.html

Offline Punta

• Bronze Member
Joshie,

Although I think weight loss may improve your condition slightly, I think that the only solution for you is surgery. But remember, surgery is a subjective test, what you are happy with after weight loss will be different to someone elses feelings.

Looks like you have some breast tissue as well as localised fat. The only way to remove the tissue is through surgical excision. I reckon you are a good candidate for surgery, ie, you should get a good result. I always say do whatever you can however to make sure the overall look is the best possible. What I mean is look after yourself post op and stay lean.

Dr WIDDOWSON is very experienced and highly skilled. I have never come across a more caring doctor.

Good Luck, Punta.

Offline mostro

• Posting Member
thanks for coming back to give us updates! i come to check these forums every couple weeks because my gyno is always on my mind and a lot of the time you hear people say they've booked a surgery but then they disappear - i like to think that it's because they no longer have a care in the world and never look back on having anything to do with gyno ;D

Offline Joshie

• Posting Member
Thanks Punta!

Before I make an appointment, did you need a GP referral at all?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024