Author Topic: Gynecomastia surgery has ruined my life  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Jgunzz

• Posting Member
As the title says, I wish I could go back in time and never got the surgery. 

I originally had surgery by a local plastic surgeon in 2010 to fix my gyno. I was pretty lean and definitely had extra gland in my chest. I got the surgery, and it turned out to be horrible. The doctor didn't have any experience doing gynecomastia surgery, and actually told me that I don't need a compression vest after surgery. Well, the next day my chest was extremely big and swollen, and one side had a hematoma. I still remember the look of shock on my surgeon's face when I went in a few days later concerned. He actually said "I'm sorry." 

Well, eventually things settled down but I still wasn't happy with the shape overall. I believe there was extra tissue that was left. Although I still had gyno, it was to a lesser degree and looked natural and normal in shirts. I left it this way for a long time (6 years). I eventually got to a point where I was pretty lean and still unhappy with the extra tissue in my chest, so I decided to have a revision surgery last year. Here is where my life went downhill. 

The doc took out too much tissue on my left side and it was left looking abnormal. I had craters when moving my arms to my side or upwards, and even with arms to the side the chest looked abnormal. The gym has always been the place I go to relieve my stress, but now you could see the craters through my shirts. This caused me so much depression and anxiety throughout the year. 

I eventually went back 2 months ago for a fat graft to fix the issue, and now it LOOKS EVEN WORSE. The fat was over-filled, looks horrible, and was injected south of my nipple area. So now my chest is high at the top, starts to sink in towards the nipple area, and then there's a big lump towards the bottom of the chest. The fat has turned into either scar tissue or fat necrosis, and is very lump and has hard areas. 

This whole situation has ruined the quality of my life. I am missing events and have started going out way less since this. I used to have a normal life, partied a lot, and was very social. I am now staying in most days and rarely go to the gym anymore because of fear that people can see my deformed chest. 

The moral is to take surgery very seriously. You can never go back to your natural chest, which I wish I could. I chose the wrong surgeon the first time, which made the revision surgery more difficult due to the presence of scar tissue and such. 

All I can do now is continue exercising and trying to get into shape, let this fat transfer settle and see what happens. I can't help but think I'm going to need ANOTHER surgery, which really pisses me off. I hate going through the downtime, dealing with recovery, and the very visible scarring initially after surgery. 

Offline Jgunzz

• Posting Member
Yes, both surgeons are board certified. I just had really bad luck I guess. 

I know what you mean about the dark thoughts. I used to be extroverted, happy, confident, and a great salesperson. I had this little issue I wanted taken care of, and now I feel like my dreams of having that amazing body are over. On top of the issue with my left chest which there is a crater, my right chest left a VERY noticeble scar around the bottom of my nipple. You can clearly tell that I've had surgery with that scar. 

Man, this has really been a mental struggle for me. I used to be happy, now I've been depressed and insecure. 

Offline Jgunzz

• Posting Member
My scar is dark and not red like yours. It's still quite visible though. 

Offline joe7

• Posting Member
I know what you mean about the dark thoughts. I used to be extroverted, happy, confident, and a great salesperson. I had this little issue I wanted taken care of, and now I feel like my dreams of having that amazing body are over. On top of the issue with my left chest which there is a crater, my right chest left a VERY noticeble scar around the bottom of my nipple. You can clearly tell that I've had surgery with that scar.

Man, this has really been a mental struggle for me. I used to be happy, now I've been depressed and insecure.

Pretty much describes my situation too, just wanted that little thing taken care of. Had the surgery and chest looks worse than before. I went through a crippling depression for a few weeks but have managed to overcome it and feel pretty ok now actually. I wouldn't really be comfortable taking my top off but at least I'm going out and socializing again. I know it's difficult, but wear whatever you need to feel comfortable and go out and socialize, go hit the gym.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Most people who have questions like yours post before and after pictures.
I was bemused by your statement that both surgeons were well qualified followed by the statement that one had no previous experience with Gynecomastia.  Which statement is true?
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024