Author Topic: Can an MRI show Gynecomastia?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member

Hello.

Recently I had should surgery for a injury were my shoulder was dislocated and damaged a lot of things.

I did get an MRI for my shoulder and I was wondering if it might be worth trying to obtain a copy on the MRI to see if it might give a cosmetic surgeon insight to the cause of the gynecomastia being cause due to fat or gland tissue.

Its my understanding that if the problem is mostly fat than an less evasive lipo can correct the problem whereas if there is mostly gland tissue, than a more aggressive incision around the areola.

The hospital I went to prides themselves in being very advance and up to date with the latest technologies. They gave me a CD of my X-ray which I just put into my laptop and could look at my X-ray image all sorts of tools to zoom in,etc.. I am guessing there might be something like this also with the MRI.

Could this information benefit a doctor to determine the structure of the gynecomastia?

Does anyone know if a shoulder MRI also would capture other areas of the body such as the chest area? Pretty much my whole upper body went into the MRI machine.

If there is a gland problem, I know that I will need the gynecomstia surgery for sure and weight loss would be ineffective.

If it is mostly fat, then perhaps working out will correct the issue on its own or an areola incision might be able to be avoided all together in this case. 

Thanks.

Offline xelnaga13

Just over a year ago I had shoulder surgery to correct an injury. I had an MRI from several different angles because we weren't sure where the tears were. After seeing the slides it would be highly unlikely that they would be on any benefit diagnosing a growth in the middle of someones chest. The slides were very specific to the shoulder socket area.

Additionally, I highly doubt any insurance company or surgeon would rely on an unrelated MRI as evidence for a diagnosis.

If you have a legitimate complaint about chest pain due to a growth on your chest, your insurance company should pay for an ultrasound. I had this done in order to qualify for insurance coverage for my gyno surgery. It's quick and painless, and will provide you with proof of glandular tissue.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Just over a year ago I had shoulder surgery to correct an injury. I had an MRI from several different angles because we weren't sure where the tears were. After seeing the slides it would be highly unlikely that they would be on any benefit diagnosing a growth in the middle of someones chest. The slides were very specific to the shoulder socket area.

Additionally, I highly doubt any insurance company or surgeon would rely on an unrelated MRI as evidence for a diagnosis.

If you have a legitimate complaint about chest pain due to a growth on your chest, your insurance company should pay for an ultrasound. I had this done in order to qualify for insurance coverage for my gyno surgery. It's quick and painless, and will provide you with proof of glandular tissue.

So the shoulder MRI are target to pretty much the shoulder only and would not have captured any usable detail on the chest area?

This is good to know because I was under the impression that the MRI automatically capture everything.

My shoulder MRI did have an extra piece of equipment that went over my shoulder which I think may have been like an extra sensor to get a even more detailed image of my shoulder.

Can you describe the chest pain you experience that allowed for an ultrasound?

I have read that many plastic surgeons will say things like " I will try to just remove fat and if there is any gland left over, I will have to then determine to remove that stop"

Then you will have 1 incision on your side for when the doctor tried to do the lipo only, then a separate scar around your areola for when he removes the gland, resulting in 2 scars on both sides.

If you know 100% that the gland needs to be removed form the start, then you might be able to get away with 1 scar around the areola and that will be it or vise versa. It may allow a doctor who was planning on originally cutting around the areola to do both a gland removal and liposuction to just do lipo suction with incision on your side. (saving you an areola scar)

It just seem to make sense to know what you are dealing with before surgery.

Thanks

Offline xelnaga13

Ive had gyno surgery twice. Both times my surgeon had an exact surgical plan. He/she should be able to correctly diagnose your condition before surgery takes place.

It sounds like you need to see a good surgeon in order to get real answers rather than dealing in hypothetical scenarios.

As far as scars go... I had lipo and glandular.. so 4 scars total. You would never know they were there unless you had a magnify glass.   

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Ive had gyno surgery twice. Both times my surgeon had an exact surgical plan. He/she should be able to correctly diagnose your condition before surgery takes place.

It sounds like you need to see a good surgeon in order to get real answers rather than dealing in hypothetical scenarios.

As far as scars go... I had lipo and glandular.. so 4 scars total. You would never know they were there unless you had a magnify glass.   

You need a magnifying glass to see the scars? Are you happy with the results you got?

Sounds like you had a good surgeon as far as the resulting scars are concern. Do you mind if I asked the name of the surgeon you used?

Thanks

Offline xelnaga13

Dr. Lam of Bucks county plastic surgery. Ive met with about a half dozen surgeons over the past 15 years of dealing with this. Dr. Lam is top notch in every regard. He has a unique understanding of aesthetics and contour, that I never found with other consultations. If you PM me your email I can send my before and afters.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024