Author Topic: Second opinion  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Amhd93

Hi,

This is my first post. I'm a 21 year old male, 6ft 1" and weigh 82 kgs (180lbs). I've had gyne since puberty. Finally I'm getting surgery done to get it removed. I live in New Zealand and it is free to get the breast tissue out by a general surgeon. I've had two appointments with the surgical consultants and they always say that it won't be perfect. I was okay with that.

Three days ago I met with the surgeons and they scared me a bit saying that a lot of things could go wrong. Something that bothered me was when she told be that if the surgery doesn't turn out like the way you expected then that is not because we didn't do the surgery well but the its the nature of the surgery. I was a bit disheartened after hearing this but I said I will still go through with the surgery.

I was told to wait in the room as the surgeon went to discuss something with her colleague. shortly after a second surgeon came in. She wasn't very nice. She examined me and said that they'll have to take my nipple completely out, take the only breast tissue out and take off an inch of skin out of the nipple area and stitch it back up.

Now I don't know if that is a procedure to treat gyne but that sounded strange. i don't have a sagging chest and i would say that I have type 3 gyne. i measure about 41 inches about the chest/breast and have a waist of 34 inches.

My surgery date is on the 28th of this month and now Im considering a second opinion from a plastic surgeon. Please let me know if anyone has undergone a procedure like the one they will be doing on me? And also your experiences with general surgeons?

Thank you

Jay55

While I'm not familiar with the surgery, if you're not comfortable with the surgeon you've consulted with, I would definitely get a second opinion.

hammer

I'll second Jay55!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
At 6'! and 180 lbs, you are probably quite slender.  In all my years of treating gyne and after thousands of procedures, none of the operations required removal of the nipple and excising some skin.  While I have the utmost respect for general surgeons, they simply do not have the experience of a plastic surgeon, especially one who has particular expertise in gyne surgery.

This is elective surgery -- there is absolutely no rush.  Please get another opinion, or several opinions before proceeding -- and make sure you visit at least one plastic surgeon.  Remember, once the skin is cut, there is a permanent scar for the rest of your life.  A plastic surgeon can often operate through very tiny incisions.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024