Author Topic: I have a number of questions regarding enlarged areolas.  (Read 8471 times)

Offline Integrity

1) One of the examples says that "puffy nipples" is a non-medical term for gynecomastia. As far as I can tell, they are two separate issues so why is this said?

2) Is there a standardized medical term for this issue? I've yet to come across it.

3) The fluid, or fat underneath the puffy areola feels like it has the viscosity of somewhere between water and hair gel. What is this fluid called (be detailed and specific please)? And what precisely are the glands called that produces the liquid?

4) This seems to be a relatively popular issue population wise, and it seems to have significant confidence effects on virtually everyone who is inflicted with it. Why is it that I never see it ... around? I never see it talked about, joked about. I see people get made fun of, but that's it. There are definitely more embarrassing things out there that has more exposure to common public rhetoric. Note I am referring to an enlarged areola, not gynemocastia.

Lastly, from what I can tell so far from reading this site and such is that it can be caused by "fat tissue" or a "glandular issue", but do both of these causes have identical viscosity values for the fat/fluid beneath the areola?

Oh and there seems to be a disconnect between older people and younger people regarding the issue of self-esteem. Many older people keep suggesting that the issue is essentially trivial and should not have significant effects on one's confidence.
Sorry to tell you, but it does have self-esteem implications that are the direct result of one's peers. Which is certainly non-trivial, regardless of how meaningless the issue is when using a value system other than "how much one's social environment thinks about it". Any value system other than that, as far as the brain is concerned is not that important for self-esteem for MOST people in MOST circumstances.... ok Kind of a tangent, I guess I was just annoyed, this particular thought train has little priority by the way.

Offline SportsKid

• Posting Member
Those are great questions, but the scientific part, only a surgeon or doctor can answer them correctly. Regarding to the last part of your post, I have to say to you, and I'm a 15-year-old who has "puffy nipples", that it might not be very embarrassing t deal with it in the daily routine, but it IS hard to deal with it sometimes and depending on the others who are with you in, for example in the locker room, in the beach, in the swimming pool or anywhere else in which you are shirtless.

I must tell you, that for example, in the locker room, I do not have any problems in having puffy nipples, because my colleges do not make of it a problem and have never referred it in 2 years I have been practicing with them, 5 times per week! However, I do have problems around on the beach or swimming pool, since many look at it (although I'm in a good shape and am not ashamed from my body, excepting the nipples) and comment it. That takes a very big and deep punch in a young adolescent mind, spirit and self-esteem.

Finally, one other thing that makes us (puffy nipples men) feel that way is our "brain". Sometimes, we make a too big deal with this "problem". I can give you an example, of myself. I was once lying on the pool, when a friend of mine stared at me, to my body. I "aggressively"(I don't know the word, but it wasn't quite aggressively, it was more like strongly)  asked him why was he staring at me, at my nipples, if he wished to make fun of me just because I had a nipple bigger than the other. He instantly replied that he didn't even noticed that and that he was starring at me because I was in a good shape and he just had noticed that my right nipple is slightly bigger than the other one, the left. I took a deep thought since then, about the looks that people made sometimes to me, and that it could just be because people simply look at each other. I think that my self-esteem increased a lot since a few years ago, from that happening. Even though that is not always the case. 50-50.

Goodbye!

Offline Integrity

I don't want exact values, I just want to know something in the environment that the fat in the nipples are similar to.

DrBermant

1) One of the examples says that "puffy nipples" is a non-medical term for gynecomastia. As far as I can tell, they are two separate issues so why is this said?

2) Is there a standardized medical term for this issue? I've yet to come across it.

3) The fluid, or fat underneath the puffy areola feels like it has the viscosity of somewhere between water and hair gel. What is this fluid called (be detailed and specific please)? And what precisely are the glands called that produces the liquid?

4) This seems to be a relatively popular issue population wise, and it seems to have significant confidence effects on virtually everyone who is inflicted with it. Why is it that I never see it ... around? I never see it talked about, joked about. I see people get made fun of, but that's it. There are definitely more embarrassing things out there that has more exposure to common public rhetoric. Note I am referring to an enlarged areola, not gynemocastia.

Lastly, from what I can tell so far from reading this site and such is that it can be caused by "fat tissue" or a "glandular issue", but do both of these causes have identical viscosity values for the fat/fluid beneath the areola?

Oh and there seems to be a disconnect between older people and younger people regarding the issue of self-esteem. Many older people keep suggesting that the issue is essentially trivial and should not have significant effects on one's confidence.
Sorry to tell you, but it does have self-esteem implications that are the direct result of one's peers. Which is certainly non-trivial, regardless of how meaningless the issue is when using a value system other than "how much one's social environment thinks about it". Any value system other than that, as far as the brain is concerned is not that important for self-esteem for MOST people in MOST circumstances.... ok Kind of a tangent, I guess I was just annoyed, this particular thought train has little priority by the way.

Puffy Nipples is slang or public jargon for subtle gynecomastia. The Anatomy of Puffy Nipples consists of gland, fat, and skin.  The gland tends to be firm but can be soft. The fat tends to be soft but can be firm.  Neither have the viscosity of a liquid.

There can be a great deal of Emotional Stress Living with Gynecomastia.  This is an issue best dealt with at a younger age before the emotional scars become too deep.  Unfortunately, I have seen many patients who were not happy that they had to wait until they could afford surgery themselves instead of having parents and doctors who understood.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024