Author Topic: When did your scar tissue BEGIN to disappear?  (Read 14523 times)

Offline gat092

• Posting Member
I am 4 weeks post-op and have developed significant hard lumps (internal scar tissue).  I know it can take up to to a year, but did anyone have it begin going away within a month or two?  Or does it typically get worse and worse until many months have passed at which point it begins to break down?  Thanks.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
Mine is extremely stubborn and just started (i think) to break up a VERY little bit. I'm 8 months post-op.  Yes...it sucks.

Offline user87

• Silver Member
Mine is extremely stubborn and just started (i think) to break up a VERY little bit. I'm 8 months post-op.  Yes...it sucks.

sure that it's scar tissue??

DrBermant

I am 4 weeks post-op and have developed significant hard lumps (internal scar tissue).  I know it can take up to to a year, but did anyone have it begin going away within a month or two?  Or does it typically get worse and worse until many months have passed at which point it begins to break down?  Thanks.

Yes, I have had many patients telling me that their scars were improving that fast.  The body heals injured tissues with scars.  The injury is not just the skin on the surface, but the entire sculpted region.  The nature of the scar depends on the problem to be treated, skill of the surgeon, what was done, Scar Care, after surgery care, After Surgery Compression Garments, and other factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline gat092

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr. Bermant and everyone.  Is letting the water during a hot shower useful or counterproductive in helping to reduce the scar tissue?

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member

Oh yes. Scar tissue feels different than gland does. 

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
Im 3 weeks post op, developed lots of scar tissue on my right side, and a nice bunch on my left...its not too extreme but it makes my right side look like a minor case of man boobs but nothing noticeable
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

DrBermant

Oh yes. Scar tissue feels different than gland does. 

Actually scar tissue can feel just like gland.  It can even look the same to the naked eye as you cut into it!  Scar and gland can blend together under the microscope on revision cases I have examined with the pathologists.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline user87

• Silver Member
that's interesting!
so, in fact, we are not able to say if the doc left too much gland or if it's just scar tissue.

DrBermant

that's interesting!
so, in fact, we are not able to say if the doc left too much gland or if it's just scar tissue.

Both excessive scar and residual gland can deform the chest.  That is why I target gland first with my Dynamic Technique for Gynecomastia Surgery and stress After Surgery Scar Care for my patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Auggie32

Does massage help with the reduction of scar tissue? If so, should the massage be soft or vigorous?

DrBermant

Does massage help with the reduction of scar tissue? If so, should the massage be soft or vigorous?

I prefer to individualize the scar care for each of my patients and we typically start out with gentle progressing to firmer massaging.  Such questions are best directed towards your doctor or someone familiar to your specific situation.  The wrong type of aftercare can mess up healing wounds.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

Offline biggieboobs

• Posting Member
one week post op!! i am not looking forward to this!  :-\

Offline Postop Boy

• Posting Member
I'm one week post op too with Dr. Karidis. My chest still feels numb and hard and my right nipple seems to have developed a fold in it which is worrying. I'm sure it will sort itself it though given time and massage.
Anyone any advice or comments?

Cheers

Postop Boy

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024